7/11 want me to sign their log.

bbsam

Staff member
No,No, No and No. I don't show I.D. anywhere on my route, nor have I ever had to sign anyone's log when delivering, though it's perfectly understandable why you dreadlocked/scraggily bearded FedEx guys have to.

My, my. So very touchy and not even a :wink2: or :happy2: or anything. Have you been using the FDS MrFedex sent you? No? Maybe you should start.:happy2: Don't know why anyone wants a signature anyway. You're on videotape anywhere you go anyway.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My, my. So very touchy and not even a :wink2: or :happy2: or anything. Have you been using the FDS MrFedex sent you? No? Maybe you should start.:happy2: Don't know why anyone wants a signature anyway. You're on videotape anywhere you go anyway.
LOL, touché, or should I say, douché.:wink2:

806260044_e82f2dfb90.jpg

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I'm with Steve-O on this one. Whenever I see those sign in logs I just disregard it. The log to me is for people who's planning to spend time there doing servicing, sales calls, or something that requires you to be there more than just dropping of packages and getting a signature.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm with Steve-O on this one. Whenever I see those sign in logs I just disregard it. The log to me is for people who's planning to spend time there doing servicing, sales calls, or something that requires you to be there more than just dropping of packages and getting a signature.
Agreed! The mngr told me today that someone is stealing money orders. I barely have time to breath the stale air inside this store, let alone steal something.

Omega man

I am really amazed at the arrogance displayed here. We are a trucking / package delivery company. Many businesses have logs so they can keep track of which company came in when. So a customer asks you to sign a log.
You look at it and you should be able to see that other companies making deliveries or pickups also signed the log. So now we are going to be difficult? Maybe piss the customer off because we think we are special and dont have follow the customers procedures when making deliveries. reading through the misguided advice here its no wonder many of you have problems at work. you're either stupid or you're hard headed. Either one gets you the same result.

For those of you that whine that the company does not care about customer service this one should be a wake up call for you. Your job when you make that pickup or delivery is to say give me every freaking package you have where do I sign.

The problem is that UPS management does not stand up for their employees. Management is harassing us for ridiculous production levels yet they want us to comply with the customer's every request. You can't have it both ways. Production always comes at the expense of service. Signing a log is not part of our methods and is just one more thing we are asked to do without getting time for. Personally I wouldn't care if we didn't have to endure the harassment. Remind your management it causes you delays when they ask you why their numbers suck on your route. If management wants us to bend over backwards to service the customer, I don't have a problem with it. Just give us the time to do so.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
The problem is that UPS management does not stand up for their employees. Management is harassing us for ridiculous production levels yet they want us to comply with the customer's every request. You can't have it both ways. Production always comes at the expense of service. Signing a log is not part of our methods and is just one more thing we are asked to do without getting time for. Personally I wouldn't care if we didn't have to endure the harassment. Remind your management it causes you delays when they ask you why their numbers suck on your route. If management wants us to bend over backwards to service the customer, I don't have a problem with it. Just give us the time to do so.
+1

Mick32

Taking 3 seconds to put an "x" or something illegible on a paper is causing "delays" but taking probably 5 to ten times that amount of time at a minimum to have a ridiculous argument with some 7-11 clerk isn't? Just scribble on the paper, deliver your packages, and get back to your package car.
Is it in 7-11's "methods" to sign for our package? Probably not. Don't be difficult just to be difficult.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Taking 3 seconds to put an "x" or something illegible on a paper is causing "delays" but taking probably 5 to ten times that amount of time at a minimum to have a ridiculous argument with some 7-11 clerk isn't? Just scribble on the paper, deliver your packages, and get back to your package car.
Is it in 7-11's "methods" to sign for our package? Probably not. Don't be difficult just to be difficult.
Whether you scribble or not, that's your signature. My signature means something to me and I don't just go signing, anything. The time I took to explain my position and work out a solution with the mgmt of 7/11 was time well spent and will negate any further problems for me or any other drivers that cover the route.

bbsam

Staff member
Whether you scribble or not, that's your signature. My signature means something to me and I don't just go signing, anything. The time I took to explain my position and work out a solution with the mgmt of 7/11 was time well spent and will negate any further problems for me or any other drivers that cover the route.
You remind me of Daniel Day Lewis in "The Crucible". "Because it's all I have!"

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I have delivered at 1000's of locations in my career and have been asked to sign in countless times, if this is all you have to worry about in a day then you are one hell of a lucky guy. After 9/11 the airport I delivered asked me to show my UPS I.D., my Drivers Liscense, and my S.S.I. card. So I did! You guys cry on here about rules and how UPS abuses them, well guess what other companies have rules too. I have not liked all the requests that customers have asked for and I have not followed them all either, but its a signature so just log in and go about your day.

tieguy

Banned

yes you're right management makes a lot of demands on you, so lets go tell the customer to :censored2: and blame management. :happy-very:

In all reality this is where seniority hurts the business. Steve should be allowed to refuse to follow the customers internal procedures. Steve should then be the one to suffer the job loss resulting from his providing a high maintenance inflexible package delivery service and thus be secure that his principles however misguided are secure.

If Steve was working two days a week and his signing that log meant the difference between his feeding his family or begging for work then steve would not only sign the log but the customers rear end if asked.

The fact again remains that you guys talk customer service but you really don't understand the first thing about it.

Last edited:

bigbrownhen

I don't think Steve made such a big deal out of this. It was something new that was asked of him, he notified his center manager of the situation and worked as directed.

Speaking to the Manager and finding out why, sure why not. I would probably do the same just to know what the deal is. He posted this to see if there are any other drivers who deliver to the 7/11s that are being asked to sign as well.

Again, this is something new on his route. I don't have any of my customers ask me to sign anything, it would seem strange to me as well. There are apparently several drivers on here that this is a common practice at some of their stops. Funny how things are done in different areas.

tieguy

Banned
I don't think Steve made such a big deal out of this. It was something new that was asked of him, he notified his center manager of the situation and worked as directed.

Speaking to the Manager and finding out why, sure why not. I would probably do the same just to know what the deal is. He posted this to see if there are any other drivers who deliver to the 7/11s that are being asked to sign as well.

Again, this is something new on his route. I don't have any of my customers ask me to sign anything, it would seem strange to me as well. There are apparently several drivers on here that this is a common practice at some of their stops. Funny how things are done in different areas.

I think steve is ok other then occassionally getting squirrly about certain issues.

customer service means providing a confident can do attitude to the customer.

In this case he balked at signing the log then had to get the center manager involved over a no brainer common shipping /recieving practice.

this customer now has the impression that ups is inflexible to their needs.

what I find often happens is the guy working the shipping dock that we piss off often then pops up as an employee at some other larger customers location at which point he drives us batty because one of our people irked him somewhere in history. We never know where that guy at the 7 eleven will end up or how his decision making will affect us in the future.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

As usual, you took the words out of my mouth. I've never, ever, had to sign anything for anyone, and that was the issue. It's all worked out now and the customer and I will go back to being best buds as usual.:happy2:

I can't believe this thread is getting so much dialogue. Signing shipper log's is a very common request.
The Brown Cafe is all about dialogue, and sometimes the dialogue in a thread has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, like this, for instance. Signing logs and such may be common practice to you, where you are, but I've never done it before, so pardon me for starting a thread to see what others were thinking.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
As some one mentioned before,it's a common practice to sign in & out at some componies. We do it all the time in feeders,I never did in pkg,so I also would be taken back by the request to do so.I don't blame STUG a bit,it was a 7/11 not the Pentagon.But he didn't know. At Christmas time we drop a pup in some large buildings(insside} in Boston & we had to show all sorts of I.D to securtiy even though he saw us twice a day.

just interested

As usual, you took the words out of my mouth. I've never, ever, had to sign anything for anyone, and that was the issue. It's all worked out now and the customer and I will go back to being best buds as usual.:happy2:

The Brown Cafe is all about dialogue, and sometimes the dialogue in a thread has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, like this, for instance. Signing logs and such may be common practice to you, where you are, but I've never done it before, so pardon me for starting a thread to see what others were thinking.

Steve,

If I understood things correctly, they were asking you to sign a blank sheet of paper - a paper that did not have any information as to how many packages you just delivered, which then could at any time be filled in with incorrect information which then you may look to be responsible for.

Was this the original situation?

If so, then you did the right thing.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Steve,

If I understood things correctly, they were asking you to sign a blank sheet of paper - a paper that did not have any information as to how many packages you just delivered, which then could at any time be filled in with incorrect information which then you may look to be responsible for.

Was this the original situation?

If so, then you did the right thing.
That was the case.