70 hour rule

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wait, wut???

A seasonal driver should be behind the wheel, and the experienced veteran bid driver is the helper/ navigator... or does that just makes too much common sense for UPS to implement
The seasonals have probably worked 60 hours too.

35years

Gravy route
And when the driver, working as a helper gets injured because the supervisor with no sleep crashes...
The lawyers will be making a pile of cash.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I was a driver “ helper” today but I’m fulltime just out of hours ...do I get my full rate 8.5 hrs over time today? if I get $10 an hr today I’ll be using sick days next sat....my paycheck said 8.5 but in activity it says “ helper”

Brownslave688

I was a driver “ helper” today but I’m fulltime just out of hours ...do I get my full rate 8.5 hrs over time today? if I get $10 an hr today I’ll be using sick days next sat....my paycheck said 8.5 but in activity it says “ helper”
You get driver pay.

MAKAVELI

Regulations Section

Question 1: May a motor carrier switch from a 60-hour/7-day limit to a 70-hour/8-day limit or vice versa?

Guidance:

Yes. The only restriction regarding the use of the 70-hour/8-day rule is that the motor carrier must have Commercial Motor Vehicle CMVs operating every day of the week. The 70-hour/8-day rule is a permissive provision in that a motor carrier with vehicles operating every day of the week is not required to use the 70-hour/8-day rules for calculating its drivers’ hours of service. The motor carrier may, however, assign some or all of its drivers to operate under the 70-hour/8-day rule if it so chooses. The assignment of individual drivers to the 60-hour/7-day or the 70-hour/8-day time rule is left to the discretion of the motor carrier.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
anyone been informed they are going to 70 yet?

I know some centers have virtually everyone out of hours and are supposed to deliver tomorrow.
Getting off at 6:30, some days 5:30, so I could work 7 days a week. Saturdays here they have made optional, but when Friday comes along they try and persuade you to come in.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Has to be applied for every time.

Word is DOT is denying the requests this year.
It doesn't have to be applied for, and DOT is not denying requests. Plenty of us are already working under the 70 hour rule. If it's being shot down in your area it's someone higher up in UPS making that decision.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
We have the same problem at my hub, many drivers are out of hours and they need Saturday to be pretty much a full dispatch
I could call in sick without any problem, we have a lot of routes in. The rookies or seasonals now need help cause 100 stops is now 150. One guy had 140 at 5 pm.

Brownslave688

Well in all honesty they probably should be denied just in the spirit of the law.

It’s meant for guys that work 7 days a week to keep a rolling log. I don’t think it was ever intended to shove 70 hours into 5-6 days then reset and start all over the next week.