70 hour rule

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well in all honesty they probably should be denied just in the spirit of the law.

It’s meant for guys that work 7 days a week to keep a rolling log. I don’t think it was ever intended to shove 70 hours into 5-6 days then reset and start all over the next week.

Glad somebody came to their sense’s

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ummm.... Why would the DOT deny a request to use their own rules?

Nobody has to ask the DOT permission to change from 60 to 70.
Yeah they do because it’s based off of working 7 days a week. Not all centers work 7 days a week and we don’t deliver 7 days a week.

Brownslave688

I don't believe it goes by center. The company in general has to be operating 7 days a week.
Then why go back and forth depending on time of year and center to center?

If the company could get by with just putting everyone under the 70 hour rule don’t you think they’d do it?

542thruNthru

Then why go back and forth depending on time of year and center to center?

If the company could get by with just putting everyone under the 70 hour rule don’t you think they’d do it?

I have no answer for that but I do know some of our feeder guys have been on a 70/8 since Sept. So if they can be on a 70/8 so could I.

Brownslave688

I was told today by my on-road sup that the 70 hour request was denied. They are scrambling at my center trying to figure Saturday out now. They assumed approval and now their plans are screwed..

I was told that Fed-Ex 70 hr request was rejected. Perhaps UPS was too. Is it approved by each state's DOT or is the approval nation wide?

I know they were planning on working us Saturday, we had thousands of stops brought back tonight and no one allowed over 60 hours.

We have had the 70 hr rule invoked the last 2 years here, but not so far not this year.

We were told at pcm this morning that its not going to happen this year per our DM. Of course two weeks ago we were told nobody over 9.5 yet I'm at 50 hours through 4 days so.....

It doesn't have to be applied for, and DOT is not denying requests. Plenty of us are already working under the 70 hour rule. If it's being shot down in your area it's someone higher up in UPS making that decision.

Ummm.... Why would the DOT deny a request to use their own rules?

Nobody has to ask the DOT permission to change from 60 to 70.

I don't believe it goes by center. The company in general has to be operating 7 days a week.

There’s obviously some confusion here on how all of this works. Is the confusion at the ups level? Or the state DOT level? I have no idea but we know it’s not applied uniformly across ups.

CoolStoryBro

Has to be applied for every time.

Word is DOT is denying the requests this year.

What I've read is that operations with saturday ground and or 7 day a week feeder operations get 70 hour weeks. Smaller centers have to request a 70 hour week.

I was out of hours today and went out as a driver helper with a peak driver who had 14 hours available. Worked just shy of 8 but got paid for 8.

542thruNthru

There’s obviously some confusion here on how all of this works. If the confusion at the ups level? Or the state DOT level? I have no idea but we know it’s not applied uniformly across ups.

I think it's up to corporate if we go 70/8 but people hear we were denied and think it's DOT telling us no.

Though that's just my opinion.

Brownslave688

What I've read is that operations with saturday ground and or 7 day a week feeder operations get 70 hour weeks. Smaller centers have to request a 70 hour week.

I was out of hours today and went out as a driver helper with a peak driver who had 14 hours available. Worked just shy of 8 but got paid for 8.
That’s how I’ve always understood it also was it depends on how your center operates.

Brownslave688

I think it's up to corporate if we go 70/8 but people hear we were denied and think it's DOT telling us no.

Though that's just my opinion.
I just don’t get why they’d make it more confusing than it needs to be. Like you said feeders there have been 70/8 since sept. Why not just say it’s 70/8 year round instead of going back and forth?

But once again this is ups.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

They wouldn’t let us go over 60. I came in today and delivered 10 stops then had to come back. Apparently work over 60 now is double time in the new master? Should make a good retro check bonus.

35years

Gravy route
So it is just a disconnect between the district manager and reality? Will the district manager make more if he keeps it at 60 hours?

Our center management team can't believe how stupid this is.

542thruNthru

That sucks for you. No exemption for FedEx. :happy2:

Actually looking at it I believe there should be. Though I've been drinking.... a lot. :)
Screenshot_20181201-203326.png

Exemptions from the overtime laws