$8.50 'till 2013? What are they thinking?

DS

Fenderbender
I have no idea. I sent in to get my password yesterday since I only view as a guest. Like I said, I never post. This is what they came up with. Or I could be like Gore and imply that I invented this technology.
Well from what I read,your thoughts are not to be taken lightly..welcome to the browncafe...formally

KTB

Dude Where tell me you can get a PART TIME job WITH BENEFITS?? The Part Time job is NOT a FULL TIME CAREER, you cant LIVE on a PART TIME salary ANYWHERE, Most of these Part Timers are young they think the world owes them something...I hope they institute the Draft

MANUAL LABOR. No one expects to make a killing working 20-25 hours a week. However, you should expect to be paid a fair hourly wage on the work that you do. $1.25 above minimum wage isn't a fair hourly wage for the type of work part time UPS new hires do. You can drop the benefits argument too since a new hire will have to wait a year for those.

You seem to be the ultimate self centered guy. We all are to an extent, but you are purest example I've seen in a while. Why are you supporting this contract? It's not like the retirement benefits in this contract are going to be there for you when you retire (unless you're retiring in the next 5 years). I'm sure they'll be sold back to UPS just like our wages have been sold back this time around. And when they are some guy just like yourself will be telling you to shut up and drink your prune juice, because he is taken care of. Try to see more than the nose on your face.

Q

qbvillin

First, nothing is for sure and I would advise against forming a defined opinion until we get official word. Next, in general, I believe the starting wage is stagnant for more than one possible reason.

1) High turnover rates of new hires. Most of the turnover I see at my location (8 years there) is due to kids coming in and finding out that the work is a lot more physically demanding than they had thought it would be.

2) Some turnover, to a lesser extent than #1, is due to low pay. However, you know what your pay will be when you start... it would seem that one would make arrangements to supplement that pay somehow until you are in a position to not need a supplement. I came to UPS knowing full well what the pay was and how long it would take to improve - it just so happened that it fit my needs exactly at the time.

3) Kind of a catch 22 here - The company doesn't want to spend a ton of money of new hires when the majority don't make it but on the other side you have to look at the quality of employee you'll get, as a general rule, for $8.50 per. I understand the need to keep labor costs in check but it's hard to balance that against exorbitant managerial pay and incentive packages as well as escalating top hourly pay. I don't believe there is a dispute about the disparity in pay level at UPS. I'm not sure what the best way to address it is though.

I'm sure I'll think of more - feel free to discuss :)

The contract is trash and i dont want to hear you telling people anything else i have the contract at home i have read it already and UPS is going after everybody this time . FUlltime and partime will suffer bigtime from this agreement so all i have to say is VOTE NO or UPS is going to have a field day.

The contract is trash and i dont want to hear you telling people anything else

Because clearly, your opinion is the only correct opinion, right? Let me think for a minute and decide if I'd put more weight behind a registered user who is capable of writing his arguments out clearly and concisely, or an anonymous poster who can't be bothered to register ( and appears incapable of using any punctuation in his speech ).... :rolleyes:

fbbothsides

The majority of part-timers live at home and are on their folks benefits. They should be given a choice. They do not care about the $14 worth of benefits. They want the "cheese" up front.

Fnix

Minimum wage here in Florida is $6.30. At least at quiznos and thats more of an upper class fast food place and this one was in the wealthiest city in FL.

toeknee2gx

The majority of part-timers live at home and are on their folks benefits. They should be given a choice. They do not care about the $14 worth of benefits. They want the "cheese" up front.

So right...the 2nd part of Generation X (1975-1985) and Now generation Y (1985-1995) dont care about benifits. The benifits idea was great when Kids were leaving home at 18 getting married at 22 and raising kids at early ages. Now kids stay at home while in college and have a hard time surviving because of the job market and cost of living. Marriage rates are dipping and so is the family at young age idea. The bottom line is they want more "greenback". Some of you think they dont deserve it because you have an "I did it so they have to earn their stripes the same way mentaltiy" which I understand, but you need to look at the big picture. They dont value the same things that you did at that age.

The majority will go to Fed_EX express and make 13 bucks an hr w/ less work or starbucks, lowes, home depot, costco, TSA etc etc to get paid more and do less. And contrary to popular belief, alot of these employers are now offering the same full benfits to their part timers too. They just pay more to make it more attractive. And in the meantime, we continue to loose great people to the competition.

Its easy for many of you to say what is enough money when youre making 60-70k a year...Yet you want increases every year while PT'ers stay the same...

FREAKIN OIL IS 86 dollars a barrel NOW!! 8.50 x 3-5hrs a day will be gas money only soon...:lol:

hunchback

Well from what I read,your thoughts are not to be taken lightly..welcome to the browncafe...formally

Thanks DS. I'm not sure that I will be a regular poster but I feel there is a need to make people informed about the proposal. Most readers of this site already have an idea of the issues under consideration. I wish there was a way to summarize the proposal in a factual, unbiased way and distribute it to the UPS masses before the vote mailing arrives. I read today that the mailing will go out Oct. 26th. It just seems like a rush job. We get months and months to consider political candidates and very little time to consider a document that will control our work lives.

By the way, is there a way to change my account activation date? It is kind of novel being a member with a date that precedes the internet, but could be tedious explaining it to everyone. I would estimate my actual activation was around 2002.

hunchback

1timepu is an obvious troll.

Pay him no mind.

I don't know if he is a troller or not but I agree with the idea of ignoring his/her comments on this issue. I would never minimize the efforts of our part-timers and their right to rewards for their labor. Besides with a 5:1 ratio or whatever it is now of hiring from within, where do you think our future pension contributors are going to come from? I gave up trying to be self-actualized from this job a long time ago. I'm just in it for the money and benefits with the most important being the chance to have a real pension so I can enjoy the next stage of my life. I think our company has a lot of good accountants who can find a way to turn a handsome profit with our revenue and still allow UPSers to keep up with the cost of living!

$killed Labor

maybe someone can enlighten me on this,what i dont understand is, for P/T in the tentative agreement

To start is 8.50, then after 90 days you get bumped to 9.50 then at the one year mark they will be at $10/hr.

So how is that fair to some one that has maybe 3 years in around the time of Aug 09 making 10.50 a hour, then a new hire would start in Aug 08 and by the time Aug 09 would roll around, they would be at $10/ hr. Thats doesnt make sence to the guy that has had 3 years in and only making .50 cents more? Or am i missing something?

hunchback

I would say that the best way to understand it would be to read a current contract book. It would detail the wage progression of current employees. The new wages won't take effect until Aug. 2008 and will progress from that date. Also look at the proposed annual increases (split in two parts).

chance

Started @ 8.00, 9.00 sorting in '84, was able to buy a house in '87 What can the new part-timers get @ todays wages

Damok

The contract is trash and i dont want to hear you telling people anything else i have the contract at home i have read it already and UPS is going after everybody this time . FUlltime and partime will suffer bigtime from this agreement so all i have to say is VOTE NO or UPS is going to have a field day.

I didn't realize I was here to make you happy with my posts :)

You give no good explanations as to what you think makes this contract bad, you just come in and call it trash. Post some decent counter arguments of your own (read: don't copy someone else's ideas because you think they sound "neat") so we can have a discussion.

brazenbrown

I didn't realize I was here to make you happy with my posts :)

You give no good explanations as to what you think makes this contract bad, you just come in and call it trash. Post some decent counter arguments of your own (read: don't copy someone else's ideas because you think they sound "neat") so we can have a discussion.

This is exactly the point being made in this other thread!

Agenda driven Newbies to Brown Cafe

No substance, just the typical hit and run technique exhibited by many of the newly registered users lately. This one doesn't even have the guts to register...:w00t:

Dump and Run

I've changed my stance a bit on how I feel about the 1 year wait (18 months for family) for P/Ters (if its true) and I support the new wait for benefits. I remember when I was in doing P/T work at night having seen quite a few people come and go because they were there just to get benefits for their wife being pregnant and they split very shortly after. The majority of companies don't offer benefits for P/T work period, so what's worse?

I strongly believe there should be an option whether to take benefits or not for P/Ters. You should be able to opt out of benefits and receive a much higher hourly rate inside, this would create a waiting line for inside jobs since most college age kids are already covered under their parents.

I agree with you Griff. We have talked about that at my center. I know when I first started I would have taken the higher pay for the very reason you mentioned. :)

H

Hoff3378

No

{pasting the same thing multiple times in several threads is spam - url and account deleted}