8.6 to 8.2 planned day update

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I recently posted information about the new plan that our center had started everyone has an 8.6 planned day. Now we are into the third phase of this after 2 1/2 months. The third phase is now 8.5 planned a day nobody that includes union shop steward's safety and people who drive The air shuttle for an example The air shuttle who picks up the air is in the morning and brings them to the center normally takes about three hours now he is only eligible for another 4 1/2 hours so they have cut that route and a half where previously he would do a normal route day on top of four hours of work because he cannot extend past 9 1/2 hours now everyone else has an 85 day they're trying to push everyone being in at 8 1/2. Just like you guys I was extremely skeptical but I truly believe this company is heading in that direction in addition the company has hired in our center five new drivers to make this plan work in the meantime they have changed all pick ups that would infringe upon drivers make the 85 planned a day so they all have a new pick up times. I will tell you in my 31 years of working with this company I never seen that coming a lot of guys now are truly complaining about the loss of wages because of the lack of overtime and now they're talking about in the end everyone we have an 8.2 day meaning everyone would be in an 8.2 hours. Now I know a lot of guys complain about the overtime but those same guys now are actually working on Saturdays. I mean go figure?truly this is not right they should allow those who want to work the overtime do it and for those that don't should be able to opt out. Anyhow this is one of the reasons why I do not like the new contract they should allow those that want the overtime to get it. apparently it's actually happening in 25 other centers and they are supposed to add more companywide in October. I know sometimes I read things here and think no way that'll never happen and then it comes to our center but this I truly feel they are going to make happen. I know one of the other things Will be is Christmas they can't do it during Christmas according to the center manager they are trying to keep that plan day we actually already have all of the golf carts and trailers at our center I know the middle of October they can start using Christmas help and they anticipate doing that to keep the driver is payday down. Like I said after 31 years of being here I have never seen the company be so aggressive and doing this and getting rid of overtime for all the drivers. I will keep you posted as I hear more.

That was brutal.

Vacation

It would help. You can't run everyone ragged getting in late and expecting the stuff to be on time the next day.

You should pitch that idea to management and think of a cool name for it.

I’m in an 8 belt building. Our issue is that the time allowances are so screwed up that I need a 6.2 hour plan to make 8.5

That’s not how this works. They take work off you each day till your in. Picks ups lol no problem them call them and given them a new pick up time or take them off you. Letter box lol nope they change the letter box times. It’s the good old days before the recession. It’s almost like they are teasing us.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Ups can see that the new workforce isn’t going to put up with bricked out loads and 12 hour days. They are doing this to be able to hire people who don’t say “friend this “ and leave the truck in the side of the road and quit. They are doing it for there benifit , not ours ... also, if we were to strike , would be another obvious reason

That’s not how this works. They take work off you each day till your in. Picks ups lol no problem them call them and given them a new pick up time or take them off you. Letter box lol nope they change the letter box times. It’s the good old days before the recession. It’s almost like they are teasing us.
They was supposed to do that years ago. But somehow that idea got flushed

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Almost sounds like a yes vote push

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Possibly but we didn't have any here last year. I also heard it was a disaster in most areas.
it’s really hit or miss

in areas where you can get the leftover amazon flex guys or country boys driving pickups, it works great

everywhere else yeah it can get bad

edit: the biggest factor is how local management treats them
if they treat them like a little backup swarm and don’t overload them, it’s great
if local management tries to load them up and abuse them, the turnover totally :censored2:s you

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've had periods of less hours many times over my career. It always comes back to the old way of doing business. UPS can't do it any other way. Thankfully my take home is now set for the rest of my life.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
This will be interesting to watch play out.....where I live the problem isn’t living beyond your means it’s just living. If there were no more OT allowed, my belief is that over 80% of the drivers would be in financial trouble. Not speculation....just the truth. I know we bitch about excessive overtime but it’s a necessary evil in my neck of the woods. Sucks.....but true nonetheless.

Froome

Our center has reduced all the ot as well. No 9.5's. The first of Sept my min max increased by 30, but now I'm going out with less than a request 8 day. Enjoy the break, the 70 hr work weeks are comming. If you want ot, just follow orion!!

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Ups can see that the new workforce isn’t going to put up with bricked out loads and 12 hour days. They are doing this to be able to hire people who don’t say “friend this “ and leave the truck in the side of the road and quit. They are doing it for there benifit , not ours ... also, if we were to strike , would be another obvious reason
I agree with what you've stated i would also add the idea that has been on BC many times. As i have experienced throughout my career UPS is the most vindictive abusive ... thus since we, what are called Rpcd's, complained about excessive forced overtime we will now be punished so to speak. Thus by limiting us to 40 hrs and all other work being given to the 22.4s. With the built in flexibility and no 9.5 protection this is not only possible but may or may not be financially beneficial. As far as financially, one must look at projections somewhere from year 3 to year 5 of this contract, as that is about when we should be at 7 day operations nationwide

Undertow

I see this working quite well in places where UPS has little issue with hiring people. Problem here is, really the only carrot for a perspective new hire is the advantage of overtime to offset the low starting wage. My building in Bay Area runs over 300 routes a day and has a pretty healthy revolving door of new hires. We’re are just one of 8 understaffed buildings in my area.
Know it all too well. Won't see anything even remotely in the neighborhood of a dispatch under 8.5 hours in our building unless a driver is on an an hours restriction. Even if local management were given the green light to allow it, there simply isn't the manpower to come anywhere near fulfilling that dream. Once in a blue moon, a driver might get asked in the morning if he wants the day off but that's only in the event that volume scheduled to arrive for that day's dispatch was delayed and that leads to everybody getting crushed on the dispatch the following day. I can't even remember the last time we actually had adequate staffing. It might have been close just before the Saturday operation arrived, but ever since it's mostly been a chronic shortage.

On occasion, they've dealt a new hire who's been out until after 10PM several nights of the week something close to under 9.5 just to try and keep the guy from quitting immediately, but that most often means the two guys on either side of his area go from 11 hours to something approaching 13. That in turn means somebody further away gets "instructed" to take 40 stops of one of those two at 7pm while a second driver will have to break off to meet the other to take off any air he picked up and exchange his "good" battery with less than 30% charge remaining with the already dead one the driver with 50 or more deliveries left can't use with anywhere from 2 to 3 hours left to finish.

Drivers begging for overtime? That's just an absolutely foreign concept from my angle. I've just literally never seen a single example of it. The only thing even near an 8.2 hour day I've witnessed could only be the first car of a double trip.

Our center has reduced all the ot as well. No 9.5's. The first of Sept my min max increased by 30, but now I'm going out with less than a request 8 day. Enjoy the break, the 70 hr work weeks are comming. If you want ot, just follow orion!!
i don’t plan to fail.