8.6 to 8.2 planned day update

Thegameisrigged

I recently posted information about the new plan that our center had started everyone has an 8.6 planned day. Now we are into the third phase of this after 2 1/2 months. The third phase is now 8.5 planned a day nobody that includes union shop steward's safety and people who drive The air shuttle for an example The air shuttle who picks up the air is in the morning and brings them to the center normally takes about three hours now he is only eligible for another 4 1/2 hours so they have cut that route and a half where previously he would do a normal route day on top of four hours of work because he cannot extend past 9 1/2 hours now everyone else has an 85 day they're trying to push everyone being in at 8 1/2. Just like you guys I was extremely skeptical but I truly believe this company is heading in that direction in addition the company has hired in our center five new drivers to make this plan work in the meantime they have changed all pick ups that would infringe upon drivers make the 85 planned a day so they all have a new pick up times. I will tell you in my 31 years of working with this company I never seen that coming a lot of guys now are truly complaining about the loss of wages because of the lack of overtime and now they're talking about in the end everyone we have an 8.2 day meaning everyone would be in an 8.2 hours. Now I know a lot of guys complain about the overtime but those same guys now are actually working on Saturdays. I mean go figure?truly this is not right they should allow those who want to work the overtime do it and for those that don't should be able to opt out. Anyhow this is one of the reasons why I do not like the new contract they should allow those that want the overtime to get it. apparently it's actually happening in 25 other centers and they are supposed to add more companywide in October. I know sometimes I read things here and think no way that'll never happen and then it comes to our center but this I truly feel they are going to make happen. I know one of the other things Will be is Christmas they can't do it during Christmas according to the center manager they are trying to keep that plan day we actually already have all of the golf carts and trailers at our center I know the middle of October they can start using Christmas help and they anticipate doing that to keep the driver is payday down. Like I said after 31 years of being here I have never seen the company be so aggressive and doing this and getting rid of overtime for all the drivers. I will keep you posted as I hear more.
But an 8.6 plan day means these drivers would have to run scratch in order to effectively cut overtime. Drivers at my center routinely run 1.5 to 3 hours overs that 8.6 plan day. Hell, an 8 hour plan day often yields an average of 1.5 hours of over allow. If they’re really trying to get drivers as close to 8 hours a day, they would have to drop plan days below 8 hour plans and we know they aren’t going to do that. This is why i don’t see them eliminating overtime.
Now they CAN drop plan days without cutting stops. Dynamic Orion is coming soon and will cut plan days. However, given the nature of Orion, over allow will likely go up again because Orion’s is a disaster more often than not and I really think this dynamic Orion will be even worse because I hear they will force is to run it. When my rdo was removed, I tried Orion for a day. On rdo, I beat the miles, beat the time, and ran scratch to bonus. on ODO, I WAS OVER 2 HOURS overallow!! That next day, I went back to doing it my way based on the trace I created. Overallow was back to normal...scratch to bonus.
So once again. Just because paln days are dropping, doesn’t necessarily mean drivers will work any less overtime.

Thegameisrigged

But an 8.6 plan day means these drivers would have to run scratch in order to effectively cut overtime. Drivers at my center routinely run 1.5 to 3 hours overs that 8.6 plan day. Hell, an 8 hour plan day often yields an average of 1.5 hours of over allow. If they’re really trying to get drivers as close to 8 hours a day, they would have to drop plan days below 8 hour plans and we know they aren’t going to do that. This is why i don’t see them eliminating overtime.
Now they CAN drop plan days without cutting stops. Dynamic Orion is coming soon and will cut plan days. However, given the nature of Orion, over allow will likely go up again because Orion’s is a disaster more often than not and I really think this dynamic Orion will be even worse because I hear they will force is to run it. When my rdo was removed, I tried Orion for a day. On rdo, I beat the miles, beat the time, and ran scratch to bonus. on ODO, I WAS OVER 2 HOURS overallow!! That next day, I went back to doing it my way based on the trace I created. Overallow was back to normal...scratch to bonus.
So once again. Just because plan days are dropping, doesn’t necessarily mean drivers will work any less overtime.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
the guidance i’ve seen for peak is to hire as many helpers as possible to keep the paid day between an 8.5 and a 9, minus the peak days of cyber and christmas week

whatever they’re up to, they’re very serious about reducing the paid day at least up to Christmas

at the least they’re desperate to avoid the 70hr crap from LY
If they dont put RDO back in our boards during peak we will be working 70’s thru mid-January and bringing missed stops back at 11:00 every night. And good luck finding enough helpers...

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Know it all too well. Won't see anything even remotely in the neighborhood of a dispatch under 8.5 hours in our building unless a driver is on an an hours restriction. Even if local management were given the green light to allow it, there simply isn't the manpower to come anywhere near fulfilling that dream. Once in a blue moon, a driver might get asked in the morning if he wants the day off but that's only in the event that volume scheduled to arrive for that day's dispatch was delayed and that leads to everybody getting crushed on the dispatch the following day. I can't even remember the last time we actually had adequate staffing. It might have been close just before the Saturday operation arrived, but ever since it's mostly been a chronic shortage.

On occasion, they've dealt a new hire who's been out until after 10PM several nights of the week something close to under 9.5 just to try and keep the guy from quitting immediately, but that most often means the two guys on either side of his area go from 11 hours to something approaching 13. That in turn means somebody further away gets "instructed" to take 40 stops of one of those two at 7pm while a second driver will have to break off to meet the other to take off any air he picked up and exchange his "good" battery with less than 30% charge remaining with the already dead one the driver with 50 or more deliveries left can't use with anywhere from 2 to 3 hours left to finish.

Drivers begging for overtime? That's just an absolutely foreign concept from my angle. I've just literally never seen a single example of it. The only thing even near an 8.2 hour day I've witnessed could only be the first car of a double trip.
From my view point, this whole conversation is interesting in a few ways. Most notably is how few buildings nationwide are being able to be staffed at anywhere close to exceptable levels. Up untill the last 18 to 24 months, it wasn't all that common, in my building, to be asked to unload at night or come in early. However, now its an anticipated part of my week to be asked at least 3 out of 5 days. Whatever the outcome, just days away there truly are no easy solutions to the road ahead.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
Shorter days would help tons of drivers like myself that dont live paycheck to paycheck.

I'll take the money or the short day. I don't live paycheck to paycheck

Would ya feel the same way or be in the same financial shape if ya worked a straight 40 for the last ten or twenty years? OT is a bit of a double edge sword. "I hate it I hate it I hate it! Hey wait.....why is my check $200 less this week?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
UPS would rather roll 100k pieces on christmas day than give you RDO back
The scary part about your statement is that it is probably true.

While forced stupidity for the sake of generating compliance metrics is certainly nothing new at UPS, with ORION we have taken it to a new and exponentially worse level. The stupidity has gone from being benign to downright malevolent.

It will be interesting to see what sort of work-arounds and creative solutions our management people can come up with to defeat ORION this peak. I have already heard of OMS’s transferring entire routes out of one DIAD and into another which automatically puts them back into RDO without triggering a report. We also have drivers getting their dispatch printed out on paper in RDO order or even using their phones to take pictures of the screen in the AM and using those as a reference so that they have at least a minimal ability to function. And older drivers such as myself are simply abandoning the DIAD entirely and reverting to pre-EDD methods of manual sorting.

My hunch, however, is that once the service failures begin to reach truly catastrophic levels UPS will have no alternative but to temporarily suspend the forced stupidity and revert to RDO for a few days until peak is over and the backlog of undelivered volume is cleaned up.

opie

They have significantly cut hours here. Some don't even get 8 hours. Only the ones with UPS store/late pickups are getting overtime.

WTFm8

They have significantly cut hours here. Some don't even get 8 hours. Only the ones with UPS store/late pickups are getting overtime.

Hope they’re filing for guaranteed 8 and not going home voluntarily... then again a lot of people are lazy/uninformed of their ‘rights’ under the contract

Clean the building/your package car... then let the people that are to be doing those jobs know so they can griev it if they’re short on hours also.

MangoMango

This will be interesting to watch play out.....where I live the problem isn’t living beyond your means it’s just living. If there were no more OT allowed, my belief is that over 80% of the drivers would be in financial trouble. Not speculation....just the truth. I know we bitch about excessive overtime but it’s a necessary evil in my neck of the woods. Sucks.....but true nonetheless.
I would honestly say 50%. I would make some adjustments, but would be way happier.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I would honestly say 50%. I would make some adjustments, but would be way happier.
Read an article on Friday that note that you need an income of over 250K to afford to purchase a house here in San Jose. The economic squeeze in this area is brutal and non discriminative, so yes I see this being quite impactful if implemented. Hell its not uncommon to have drivers who are driving commutes of over 2 hours one way in the search of affordable housing. That in itself presents a whole host of other negative issues due to our job description.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Our center has reduced all the ot as well. No 9.5's. The first of Sept my min max increased by 30, but now I'm going out with less than a request 8 day. Enjoy the break, the 70 hr work weeks are comming. If you want ot, just follow orion!!
People who think a 8.2 hour day is going to last forever are sadly mistaken....

Last edited: