8 hour requests are a joke here.

govols019

You smell that?
That seems to be the common mentality nowadays. I just love getting screwed simply because the driver next to me is trying to prove a point. I mean they do prove a point. Just not the point they are actually trying to make.

You are NOT getting screwed. This is what we do. For the amount of hours we put in, I'm happy the we all get the chance to have at least 2 decent days a month.

Overpaid Union Thug

You are NOT getting screwed. This is what we do. For the amount of hours we put in, I'm happy the we all get the chance to have at least 2 decent days a month.
No I am getting screwed. And it's not what "we" do. It's what certain people do and I'm not one of them. A route that might have otherwise had 9.4 hours of work is turned into 10 or more because of someone that is just trying to prove a point or be a pain. I don't mind when someone has a legitimate need to be off early, or even just wants a break from the normal 9.5-10.5 hour days, and I get some of their work. We all do once in a while. But the others are just being a pain in the ass just for the sake of being a pain in the ass. But that seems to be the norm now so it is what it is. Moving right along.......

govols019

You smell that?
The reason someone requests an 8hr day doesn't matter to me. It's their right as is it mine. If I'm getting screwed by a persons 8hr day I blame management and not my fellow driver.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My 8 hours involve simply taking away my last pickup. I can do the rest myself.
Another driver in my loop has young kids and takes as many 8 hr days as he can, plus he tries to get off early as much as possible for their ball games and school functions. His route has a late pickup that loads its volume into a pup trailer for him to pull back; if he has an 8 hr. or busts ass and gets done before they are done shipping he just asks me to close the pickup out for him which involves nothing more than me driving about 5 minutes out of my way to hook up a loaded pup trailer and bring it in. Its an easy way to do a guy a favor and give myself a .25 per hour raise at the same time, and management even likes it because instead of having to set up meet points and make arrangements for him to drop stops, all our OMS has to do is transfer the pickup from his log to mine and he gets his 8 hrs with no hassle.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No I am getting screwed. And it's not what "we" do. It's what certain people do and I'm not one of them. A route that might have otherwise had 9.4 hours of work is turned into 10 or more because of someone that is just trying to prove a point or be a pain. I don't mind when someone has a legitimate need to be off early, or even just wants a break from the normal 9.5-10.5 hour days, and I get some of their work. We all do once in a while. But the others are just being a pain in the ass just for the sake of being a pain in the ass. But that seems to be the norm now so it is what it is. Moving right along.......

Busting ass for 11 hours on a hot day so that a guy in your loop can make it to his kids baseball game or school function is a lot different than busting ass for 11 hours on a hot day so that a guy in your loop can prove some sort of point or be a PITA to management. Yes, the 8 hr language is a contractual right that we are entitled to...but exercising that right has a direct effect on the daily lives of our coworkers and their families and I try to at least have some consideration for those coworkers by only exercising that right when I have a compelling reason to do so.

959Nanook

I am one of the few that use the requests in my Center. I use them for Board Meetings and one-off events for my son like a theatrical production. If I don't have a use for a second one (I always have at least one), then I don't pull an assinine move and request a second one because it is my right. Perhaps it is easier to honor them in some of your Centers but I damn near might as well have called in Sick if I request one on Wednesday so I am not going to request one purposefully in hopes of getting paid and I don't sit on Boards that meet on Wednesdays.

Frankly, I am happy that they will work with me (they don't have too, they could pay me and I could miss my most important stop of the day) and don't complain if it is over 8.5 as long as I make the meeting or function. I am one of the sticklers but I don't go out of my way to find friction.

Sent using BrownCafe App

OPTION3

Sober, I have no idea how your route is set up.

But, for 29 of my 34 years, I ran rural routes. Some averaging more than 200 miles per day. On every one, there was work that could have been easily pulled to make an 8-hour dispatch. A short business section outside a town, a couple trailer parks or even a small development.

You are entitled to x-number of 8-hour requests, and how dispatch pulls it off should not be your concern.

And, I'm still waiting for Dave's answer.
YES!……Don’t make their problems…..YOUR PROBLEM!

OPTION3

Busting ass for 11 hours on a hot day so that a guy in your loop can make it to his kids baseball game or school function is a lot different than busting ass for 11 hours on a hot day so that a guy in your loop can prove some sort of point or be a PITA to management. Yes, the 8 hr language is a contractual right that we are entitled to...but exercising that right has a direct effect on the daily lives of our coworkers and their families and I try to at least have some consideration for those coworkers by only exercising that right when I have a compelling reason to do so.
Exercising that right only points out the FOLLY of MANAGEMENT……Put the Blame where it truly lies---On Management………You can’t fit 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Another driver in my loop has young kids and takes as many 8 hr days as he can, plus he tries to get off early as much as possible for their ball games and school functions. His route has a late pickup that loads its volume into a pup trailer for him to pull back; if he has an 8 hr. or busts ass and gets done before they are done shipping he just asks me to close the pickup out for him which involves nothing more than me driving about 5 minutes out of my way to hook up a loaded pup trailer and bring it in. Its an easy way to do a guy a favor and give myself a .25 per hour raise at the same time, and management even likes it because instead of having to set up meet points and make arrangements for him to drop stops, all our OMS has to do is transfer the pickup from his log to mine and he gets his 8 hrs with no hassle.

Wouldn't it be easier for all involved if they moved the pickup to your run permanently?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is the penalty pay performance based? In other words, if the company does their part and gives you an 8 hour dispatch, but you fail to bring it in and run an hour (or more) over, are you still entitled to the 2 hours of penalty pay? On the other hand, if the company dispatches you correctly and you burn it up, do you receive your daily guarantee or are you paid for hours worked?