8 hour requests are a joke here.

OPTION3

Is the penalty pay performance based? In other words, if the company does their part and gives you an 8 hour dispatch, but you fail to bring it in and run an hour (or more) over, are you still entitled to the 2 hours of penalty pay? On the other hand, if the company dispatches you correctly and you burn it up, do you receive your daily guarantee or are you paid for hours worked?
No it is not performance based….But they do look at numbers when the grievances are heard…….The union does not recognize “Their” numbers(Thank God)…A fair days work…… For a Fair days pay……If you are dispatched the day before with 100 stops and your plan was 8.60……And the company dispatches you with 102 on the day of the 8 Hour request it’s not good for your management team……….If they dispatch you with 90 stops and you work 8.70 and file …I tDon’t look good for you….unless they had you wait at meet points….run misloads…etc. etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So it is performance based-----sort of.

I would think drivers would put in for an 8 hour request as they really need to get done early that day rather than just to prove a point.

OPTION3

I would think drivers would put in for an 8 hour request as they really need to get done early that day rather than just to prove a point.
In my local you get 2 a month (all 8 hr days that are not honored do not count towards the 2)….It’s nobody’s business as to why they need them…….management needs to dispatch properly(and keep the other variables at a minimum) or pay the driver… It’s simple.

OPTION3

I personally have had management ask me to “give” on the grievances at panel. NOPE…NO WAY….Not gonna happen…..I gave you two weeks notice on the 8 hour request….trust me they KNOW your dispatch numbers…They live and DIE by them…..PAY ME

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It is based on hours worked--not hours a computer or a PDS thinks will be an 8 hour day.

He's just saying if they in good faith significantly reduced your dispatch but it took you the same amount of time it normally takes, the union would ask the driver what special circumstances they encountered that extended the day. I would personally have a hard time filing if I could see they legitimately tried to give me an 8 hour dispatch. Last week I came in and saw they barely reduced my dispatch and gave them the opportunity to fix it in the morning. They had me punch in a couple minutes early and pull off a couple bulk and air stops during PCM which worked out to exactly an 8 hour day.

Every driver is different. I personally take them regularly to get a little relief from long days to see my little guy and schedule them on the day I usually get hammered the worst...but yeah there are guys who use them just to mess with management.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have a question....cause this just happened to a guy in my center....and I'm sure it will again. Say I request 3 personal days off in a week (verbally...nothing is ever on paper in my building), they are approved and I take them off. When I get my paycheck the following week, and realize I was only paid for the 2 days I worked, when I clearly have paid days off available....can I demand a green check, or is a green check only for hours worked that you weren't paid for?

OPTION3

Thanks TT……..I Also said THE UNION does not recognize UPS’s NUMBERS………. They take the stance(correctly in my personal opinion) you worked the guy 8.51 hour ….PAY him

oldngray

nowhere special
It is based on hours worked--not hours a computer or a PDS thinks will be an 8 hour day.

He's just saying if they in good faith significantly reduced your dispatch but it took you the same amount of time it normally takes, the union would ask the driver what special circumstances they encountered that extended the day. I would personally have a hard time filing if I could see they legitimately tried to give me an 8 hour dispatch. Last week I came in and saw they barely reduced my dispatch and gave them the opportunity to fix it in the morning. They had me punch in a couple minutes early and pull off a couple bulk and air stops during PCM which worked out to exactly an 8 hour day.

Every driver is different. I personally take them regularly to get a little relief from long days to see my little guy and schedule them on the day I usually get hammered the worst...but yeah there are guys who use them just to mess with management.

The problem is PDS will only look at stops as if all stops were equal. Pieces, miles, COD's, apartments can all make a big difference. You can have what they claim is an 8 hour dispatch but you can quickly tell that it will be more like a 9.5 but arguing about it seldom does any good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Suppose you have an 8 hour request and they try but are unable to get it to where it needs to be. You really need to get done early so you blow through your lunch and break and change your pay code to 05. Will they try to discipline you for doing this?

OPTION3

I have a question....cause this just happened to a guy in my center....and I'm sure it will again. Say I request 3 personal days off in a week (verbally...nothing is ever on paper in my building), they are approved and I take them off. When I get my paycheck the following week, and realize I was only paid for the 2 days I worked, when I clearly have paid days off available....can I demand a green check?
Notify them of the pay correction….yes demand a “green” check overnited to you….. In my supplement they must overnight you the correction if it is over 30 bucks(this has changed under the new contract)---Or it’s MORE penalty pay….accrued weekly until the correction is made…….If you have to file on it..make sure you put “ongoing” as the date the grievance occurred. I have had a 75 dollar pay grievance turn into over 1000 dollars in penalties….

OPTION3

Suppose you have an 8 hour request and they try but are unable to get it to where it needs to be. You really need to get done early so you blow through your lunch and break and change your pay code to 05. Will they try to discipline you for doing this?
I would NEVER do that…….and in my center yes they would

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Notify them of the pay correction….yes demand a “green” check overnited to you….. In my supplement they must overnight you the correction if it is over 30 bucks(this has changed under the new contract)---Or it’s MORE penalty pay….accrued weekly until the correction is made…….If you have to file on it..make sure you put “ongoing” as the date the grievance occurred. I have had a 75 dollar pay grievance turn into over 1000 dollars in penalties….

Don't they have one pay period to correct the error?

What usually happens in my center is the driver will just take the "dead day" and save the unpaid personal for another day.

OPTION3

I have a question....cause this just happened to a guy in my center....and I'm sure it will again. Say I request 3 personal days off in a week (verbally...nothing is ever on paper in my building), they are approved and I take them off. When I get my paycheck the following week, and realize I was only paid for the 2 days I worked, when I clearly have paid days off available....can I demand a green check, or is a green check only for hours worked that you weren't paid for?
and once you file for the shortage….say NOTHING to management about it….It’s THEIR job to correct the problem…not yours. Pay shortages are a personal pet peeve of mine…….It’s ridiculous that we have a multi BILLION dollar company shorting employees…..kick them in the BALLS every time they do this

O

OLDMAN3

Why would you take a code 5? You clearly did 8+ hours of work. Take the code 6 and get paid for 8.

OPTION3

Don't they have one pay period to correct the error?

What usually happens in my center is the driver will just take the "dead day" and save the unpaid personal for another day.
NOPE 24 hours after notification if the amount is greater than 35 bucks(on the old contract, I think the amount went to 60 bucks on the new contract….)The dead day? Not me, pay me……correctly please….Managements problems are not my problems….If they make them mine…. AGAIN,….PAY ME

Last edited:

OPTION3

When you run Code 06 they take 45 minutes out for lunch. When you run Code 05 it is punch to punch. In the example I gave you would make more money running Code 05.
In my center…they have walked guys out for coding 05 without managements approval….and they are directed by upper management to NOT give that approval……

OPTION3

Also….the green check is for a pay shortage…..(which this scenario clearly is)…not hours worked/not worked

O

OLDMAN3

When you run Code 06 they take 45 minutes out for lunch. When you run Code 05 it is punch to punch. In the example I gave you would make more money running Code 05.
They should not be subtracting lunch not taken, no matter what the code. If they are, they will be paying a huge back-pay lawsuit one day. I thought this practice stopped company-wide years ago.