8 year part timer question

g1nOYYV0AHY3K.gif

wilberforce15

Everyone else is wrong and you're right.

Sure ok

Yeah, I acknowledged your generality, and then I provided the quote and context for why any functioning adult would know whom I was addressing.

You responded by repeating the generality without addressing anything. You followed that with gorilla-toddler mode (chest-pounding and foot-stomping) as if your raw machismo would alter the plain meaning of the written word.

Did you lose your sippy cup this morning or something?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yeah, here is the post that he, and you, and all the other illiterates, failed to understand.

I wrote:

"So, after you give the company roughly 14 years of your life, you'll be equal with the CPI-adjusted starting pay of the gray-hairs lecturing you about voting."

There is no way to read that, except to believe I was addressing the OP, not the guy who just posted the raise schedule I quoted.

A quote would generally imply that I'm responding to the person quoted.

However, that's a generality that is easily undone if you.....read.

But you didn't read.

Maybe you can't, and in that case I should be understanding. Maybe you reached your 100-word reading limit for the day before your brain shuts down. Maybe your mental energy was entirely depleted by reading the previous four posts and a picture.

I need to realize that I should account for the age and physical condition of each employee in assigning my workload.

I'll write shorter, dumber posts (after this one) now that I know you are handicapped.

When you quote someone it sends them an alert. In the post in question, I thought you were actually referring to yourself after addressing @542thruNthru. If you want to quote another person, you can.

Hello, couldn't find anything on search but I've been a part timer at ups since 2010 and had a question on the new contract. With my pay at about 15:70, will their be any wage increase for me or this only to full timers? Just trying to clarify the details on wages and raises that might be coming. Since it seems many part timers will now be jumped up to 13.00 an hour and later 15 around 22. Is there any sort of wage increase for part timers or am I just stuck at what I have or will their be a changer to raises?

Sorry if this is a sensitive or repeated issue.

Like this...

I guess we do have something in common. I used to stomp my feet and beat my chest when I was obviously wrong, trying to cover my obvious mental shortcomings with bravado.

Then, the next year, I went to kindergarten and grew out of that.

There is hope for you.

So, you start kindergarten next year? Doing pretty good for a preschooler. Keep up the good work champ.

wilberforce15

When you quote someone it sends them an alert. In the post in question, I thought you were actually referring to yourself after addressing @542thruNthru. If you want to quote another person, you can.

Like this...

So, you start kindergarten next year? Doing pretty good for a preschooler. Keep up the good work champ.

Your response only argues that Brownslave is not the only person who should be ordering Hooked on Phonics at this time.

There is no reason whatsoever that the addressee should be related to who gets an alert. Whether your mom gave you a banana this morning is not at all related to the price of tea in China.

I quoted one post, and addressed another person plainly by context and argument. Again, if one refuses to read or is equipped with a brain of Brobdingnagian proportions, I understand the frustration. It's hard to understand what the adults are saying around you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Your response only argues that Brownslave is not the only person who should be ordering Hooked on Phonics at this time.

There is no reason whatsoever that the addressee should be related to who gets an alert. Whether your mom gave you a banana this morning is not at all related to the price of tea in China.

I quoted one post, and addressed another person plainly by context and argument. Again, if one refuses to read or is equipped with a brain of Brobdingnagian proportions, I understand the frustration. It's hard to understand what the adults are saying around you.
In other words you're too dumb to figure out how an Internet forum works.

wilberforce15

In other words you're too dumb to figure out how an Internet forum works.

Here we go again.

I offer reason and evidence with my insult.

I questioned the relevance of an alert to the issue of the addressee, stating they are not necessarily one and the same. It's now on you to show why they must always be identical.

I haven't won because your argument failed. I won because you haven't argued.

Raw, dogmatic assertion with no evidence is item #1 on the list of symptoms for Stompy Feet Syndrome. Please go see your pediatrician.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Instead of arguing your clearly incorrect position, you should let one of the grown ups explain to you how to do it properly. This website, along with many other forum sites out there, and even other technological communication methods, have a set of rules that fall outside of plain english grammatical rules. Almost everyone who uses this forum understands how those rules work instinctively through interacting with other people on the forum. Others, like yourself, have to have them spelled out for them.

Here's how the post in question should have gone in order for everyone reading it to have been able to make sense of what you were saying, and who you were saying it to.

"
2018-70c you- $16.40
2019- 75c you- $17.15
2020- 80c you- $17.95
2021-90c you- $18.85
2022- $1 you- $19.85

Total $4.15 through 5 years.

@Imbunker as you can see from the above, after you give the company roughly 14 years of your life, you'll be equal with the CPI-adjusted starting pay of the gray-hairs lecturing you about voting."

It is understood that by using the quote feature you are alerting the person you are quoting. When you alert someone, everyone understands that you are addressing them. If that is not the case, you need to take the extra steps to ensure that the person you are addressing, and everyone reading along, knows you are addressing them and not the person you are quoting. That's what the @ symbol allows you to do.

Brownslave688

L
Here we go again.

I offer reason and evidence with my insult.

I questioned the relevance of an alert to the issue of the addressee, stating they are not necessarily one and the same. It's now on you to show why they must always be identical.

I haven't won because your argument failed. I won because you haven't argued.

Raw, dogmatic assertion with no evidence is item #1 on the list of symptoms for Stompy Feet Syndrome. Please go see your pediatrician.
i can't argue against you having no common sense.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@wilberforce15 I think I see where the confusion is. You said after 14 years. You assumed people would pick up on the fact that you were addressing the OP based on that? The thread is titled "8 year part timer question". The contract, along with the gwi schedule, are over a 5 year period. 8 + 5 = 13, not 14. Context was incorrect, only other people who are bad at math might have thought you were referring to the op. Tell the other mental Lilliputians we say "hi".

wilberforce15

The fact that the butterfly effect made people call "nerd alert" is enough to know why this is not going well.

A smart person hears that term thrown around and says to himself "wow, that guy thinks he heard a smart person talk one time and wants to sound smart, too."

Meanwhile, other people below even that would cry "nerd alert."

This all makes so much sense.

wilberforce15

@wilberforce15 I think I see where the confusion is. You said after 14 years. You assumed people would pick up on the fact that you were addressing the OP based on that? The thread is titled "8 year part timer question". The contract, along with the gwi schedule, are over a 5 year period. 8 + 5 = 13, not 14. Context was incorrect, only other people who are bad at math might have thought you were referring to the op.

His 8 years + the contract years won't let him reach the inflation adjusted starting pay of the gray hairs.

If you knew math, you'd know I added a fudge year because it won't be until some time in the next contract.

Thanks for clarifying that you're on the side that also doesn't read.

Brownslave688

The fact that the butterfly effect made people call "nerd alert" is enough to know why this is not going well.

A smart person hears that term thrown around and says to himself "wow, that guy thinks he heard a smart person talk one time and wants to sound smart, too."

Meanwhile, other people below even that would cry "nerd alert."

This all makes so much sense.
It's called a joke numbnuts.

I bet you're a blast at parties.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
His 8 years + the contract years won't let him reach the inflation adjusted starting pay of the gray hairs.

If you knew math, you'd know I added a fudge year because it won't be until some time in the next contract.

Thanks for clarifying that you're on the side that also doesn't read.

No one would have been able to piece together from context who you were talking to because you wanted to add a fudge year. As I said, it seemed to me that you were referring to yourself. Picking up on your Swift reference proves that I don't read? Ok. And which branch of mathematics defines the rules for "fudging" numbers? I guess it's "@wilberforce15 makes up and changes all the rules any time he wants" day.

Last edited: