M

moreluck

Swing....oh man, I hated those problems in school! I'm more of a TV trivia person.

N

navigator

88 car going into this weekend race here in Phoenix,(night race) is in tenth place with 853 points. best PIR finish: 1 (1997).
Good Luck

R

rushfan

Man starts in 35th place. I'm glad he's 10th in points, yet they better win some.

P

proups

ok2: I give up. I will heed your infinite wisdom that complaining about UPS is something that all of us should take the time to do every time we have a chance.

O

ok2bclever

I didn't say that, but it does surprise me you actually appear to have a sense of humor.

There is hope for you after all.

Perhaps you should just make it "Life is too short"

Naw, if it made you happy to see it everytime you posted put it back to that inane saying.

I can live with it, in fact you have convinced me.

P

proups

ok2: "I didn't say that, but it does surprise me you actually appear to have a sense of humor. There is hope for you after all."

Thank you, oh superior one, for making me feel that I have hope and a sense of humor. It gives my 26 years of hard work at UPS a new meaning.

A clerk and steward huh? You must pass on your infinite wisdom each and every day to management and hourly UPSers. I admire you. I wish I could be like you.

Oh fellow UPSers, praise ok2bclever. He is all knowing and all seeing. Wonder why he was not elected by the College of Cardinals to be the Pope?

O

ok2bclever

proups,

Yep, once I too was, like you, an exalted driver, now just a lowly clerk far beneath your standards of happy happy.

Wish you had a bigger following, but still, thanks for trying.

As far as the pope thing, I am not all seeing or all knowing, but at least I know you have to be single to be eligible to be pope.

P

proups

ok2: sorry to hear that you were once a driver and now a clerk. That may mean that something happened to you where you could no longer drive and for that I am truly sorry.

I will quit badgering you, but I must say I really like your signature line! I think you finally got it!!!

T

trickpony1

ok2,
Have you considered that your situation (from driver to clerk) may be a blessing in disguise? You're be able to walk when you make retirement. I'm glad to see the union and possibly the company did right by you.....normally a person in this dilemma would be thrown out in the cold.

O

ok2bclever

Proups, yep, I thought you'd like that.

I ripped up my back for the final time in '91.

After repeated therapy and work hardening attempts the medical decision was my back could take the lifting , but would not hold up to the pounding of sitting on the steel post .

At that point UPS tried to throw me away, but the union interceded and got me into a TAW position that allowed me to hang on long enough to use my seniority to get to my current clerk classification.

I was incredibly lucky in that the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) had just been passed the year before and was in it's powerful heyday where the courts were ruling overwhelmingly against companies and UPS saw the wisdom of the Teamster's and my suggestions of what to do with me.

I credit this primarily to the ADA and the Teamsters and to a small, but significant part to a valiant center manager who went to bat for me and has since quit the company.

Certainly, any driver, with the court's more company favorable interpretations of the present climate, with similar limitations to those I was diagnosed with back then would be "let go" today and would have to proceed with whatever recourse their state's workman's compensation offered.

I am safely in a non-driving classification with the top seniority in the building for it so I am indeed lucky in this way.

Between the back damage that initially goes back as far as 1979 and cartilage damage diagnosed in both knees (I did drive for 16 years after all) back to 1987 (I tell the young ones not to "jump" out of the package cars and off of docks as it will catch up to them, but they don't listen any more than I probably would have back then)and the wonderful career extension that the current pension situation is forcing the prognosis of being able to "walk" away from the job is still in limbo.

P

proups

ok2: glad to see the ADA worked for you. I have seen it work for several people that were good UPSers who continued to contribute in their new roles every day.

Like my new signature line?

R

rushfan

Man speeding twice down pit row. Must be a supervisor training a new driver so they won't be over 9.5

S

sendagain

As the old saying goes, "I'd rather be lucky than good." Stay in the back and let all the guys in front of you crash, while you move up into ninth place.

P

proups

#88 - 7th in points! The ride around back all day long theory worked again. He didn't have a good car - wasn't even in the lead pack at the end of the day.

P

proups

I think Yates should keep his eye on Ryan Newman. If Newman's relationship doesn't improve with Rusty Wallace, he may be looking for another ride next year.

What a talented driver/crew chief combination.

P

parttimejon

you realize rusty is retiring and selling his shares of penski racing in order to keep ryan in place

P

proups

Neither Rusty or Penske have stated publicly that he is selling his shares in that race team.

I have heard that there was some discussion about it, but that nothing has been confirmed.