9.5 doesn’t work

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I hear what you are saying but at what point is it ok to miss deliveries? 1 in 100, 1 in 1,000, every other package? There is a balance that has to be maintained between keeping customers and being profitable. If we miss every other delivery we will lose all of our customers to the competition and none of us will have a job. If we double the number of drivers dispatched and 1/2 of them are running out in empty trucks chasing wrong cars the company loses money and layoffs are inevitable. Now consider that in the overall percentage of management of the company those "in the trenches," meaning the managers in the buildings with eyes on, is very, very small. Therefore in order to manage this huge company decisions are made according to reports. Those "in the trenches" are (hopefully) working within the guidelines given to them and the "reports" generated reflect this. You can not argue that UPS is profitable year in and year out.
You completely missed my point.

My indictment wasn't on the practice of making service on misloads, rather how it's facilitated and the dishonest way the time is accounted for, exacerbated by the blatant disregard for seniority exhibited when plucking the "chosen few" from the safety committees to be these "shuttle drivers".

I'll put it to you as simply as I can:

How is it "profitable" to have a shuttle driver retrieve a misload from one route, then painstakingly track down the intended route driver, who then has to stop what he's doing to meet the shuttle guy, and more often than not, break off and backtrack to deliver the misload, rather than just having the shuttlecock deliver it???

I submit, that in many instances, the time for these "shuttle drivers" is being coded erroneously to safety, which is why management typically insists that these shuttle drivers be members of the so-called Safety Committee.
In doing so, they maintain their stops-per-car metric, through dishonesty and falsification of company records, earning these crooked managers ill-gotten bonuses.

Last edited:

What'dyabringmetoday???

If someone feels the need to try and call me out, have at it.

I can and will defend my position as being correct.

If I don't know.... I'll tell you.

100% correct.

Not only does the ST reviews receipts, so do the Trustees.... they sign off on them.

Also, every Local is audited by the IBT every 5 years. Another agent in my Local

had to reimburse the Local $1.43 for over-tipping on a cup of coffee.

Yep.

In my Local, you must be 50 miles out of town and on official business.

Just going to company facilities for routine visits or hearings doesn't count.

Meh.

If anyone would think I wouldn't address someone who negatively or sarcastically

always responds to posts I make, must not realize after almost 40 years of dealing with

UPS.... I don't put up with their :censored2:.... why would I put up with his ?

And, to try and call me out as never working @ UPS ?

vct4c2.jpg

Still on the seniority list. :biggrin:

-Bug-
Who "called you out as never working at UPS"? As far as sarcasm goes, you seem very comfortable at handing it out to others. Receiving it- not so much. I must say that I am impressed though. You are able to deal with all of these big union issues and still have plenty of time in your busy schedule to spread your knowledge here. Keep up the good work. And congratulations on having over 40 years of seniority at UPS.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
9.5 does not work. Been there, done that.

Slow down, with all that information.

What doesn't work ?

I highly doubt that you’ve tried.

I would like to know that too.

Is it personal experience, or just word of mouth ?

Works in my local. Have been on either the watch list or the 9.5 list for over 4 years and have not been violated more than twice.

It works for people that properly apply the language, and follow through.

I'm still baffled, by this whole notion of a "lock in ride".

It's like a rainbow colored unicorn.

Non-existent.

If management keeps threatening it over and over, people think it's the truth.

-Bug-

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Slow down, with all that information.

What doesn't work ?

I would like to know that too.

Is it personal experience, or just word of mouth ?

It works for people that properly apply the language, and follow through.

I'm still baffled, by this whole notion of a "lock in ride".

It's like a rainbow colored unicorn.

Non-existent.

If management keeps threatening it over and over, people think it's the truth.

-Bug-
It’s my experience that the biggest complainers of 9.5 not working are the ones that continually get talked out of either going on the list or any grievances.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It’s my experience that the biggest complainers of 9.5 not working are the ones that continually get talked out of either going on the list or any grievances.

Solid observation.

Some members are intimidated by (low level) management.

I don't know why.... Who cares if they like you ?

They will be gone, soon enough.

That's the plan.

-Bug-

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The same ones at my center always complain about over 9.5s but refuse to do anything about it. (Or are scared ) Do I rub it in? Of course I do.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Solid observation.

Some members are intimidated by (low level) management.

I don't know why.... Who cares if they like you ?

They will be gone, soon enough.

That's the plan.

-Bug-
Anybody who has a history of reading my posts, I would hope knows that I am not afraid of much in the workplace arena, especially in regards to being critical of the Company, or the Union.

That being said, I will reassert from my experience in a very weak local, that the present Article 37 National Master "9.5" language absolutely works, no question.

It isn't without a need of a few tweaks, specifically the "retaliation" language and it's lack of a defined penalty, but overall, it has been the great equalizer for my desired paid day.

The process doesn't work overnight, and the Company will absolutely test your resolve (when don't they?), but if you persist, they will buckle, I promise.

If they don't relent, reread the language carefully and specifically insist on the progression when you are violated 3 times or more in a 5 month period.

~Bbbl~™

F

Frankie's Friend

The management here is stressed out when people get on the list. When it first came out we had 14 out of 46 drivers get on it. They hired several new drivers that year. Its an easy fix and honestly the management wishes they could get on it too so i believe some of them sympathize with us.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The management here is stressed out when people get on the list. When it first came out we had 14 out of 46 drivers get on it. They hired several new drivers that year. Its an easy fix and honestly the management wishes they could get on it too so i believe some of them sympathize with us.
I was told by my old pkg sup that he wished everyone got on it so he could run more cars and make dispatching easier....most mgt have no desire to cut 3 routes at 8 am....it’s a joke and a nightmare logistically speaking

35years

Gravy route
My experience?
Five 9.5 weeks in a row. Filed every one.
Other drivers said it would do no good.
Company claimed it was my poor performance.
Was followed every other day.
"lock in 3 day ride" Easily knocked down (sup helped in discreet ways).

Went to panel.

Result:
UPS will now comply with 9.5 language...Outright win for me.

4 years now and have only had to file twice...Paid without argument and stops immediately reduced.

It works if you have the guts to file every time and demand the penalty pay (don't accept a promise to "try" to keep your dispatch down).

Make sure you are on the real list (not just the managers "watch list"). Call the hall to confirm, they get a copy of the real list.

How do you want to live your life? Like a scared rabbit, or a man?

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Anybody who has a history of reading my posts, I would hope knows that I am not afraid of much in the workplace arena, especially in regards to being critical of the Company, or the Union.

That being said, I will reassert from my experience in a very weak local, that the present Article 37 National Master "9.5" language absolutely works, no question.

It isn't without a need of a few tweaks, specifically the "retaliation" language and it's lack of a defined penalty, but overall, it has been the great equalizer for my desired paid day.

The process doesn't work overnight, and the Company will absolutely test your resolve (when don't they?), but if you persist, they will buckle, I promise.

If they don't relent, reread the language carefully and specifically insist on the progression when you are violated 3 times or more in a 5 month period.

~Bbbl~™

My experience?
Five 9.5 weeks in a row. Filed every one.
Other drivers said it would do no good.
Company claimed it was my poor performance.
Was followed every other day.
"lock in 3 day ride" Easily knocked down (sup helped in discreet ways).

Went to panel.

Result:
UPS will now comply with 9.5 language...Outright win for me.

4 years now and have only had to file twice...Paid without argument and stops immediately reduced.

It works if you have the guts to file every time and demand the penalty pay (don't accept a promise to "try" to keep your dispatch down).

Make sure you are on the real list (not just the managers "watch list"). Call the hall to confirm, they get a copy of the real list.

How do you want to live your life? Like a scared rabbit, or a man?

These two posts, should dispel any doubts about the 9.5 list.

"Die standing up.... Or, live your life on your knees."

VOTE NO ON THE CONTRACT

At this stage, what are the reasons?

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level

and beat you with experience.
" -George Carlin

:biggrin:

-Bug-