9.5 doesn’t work

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Must have hit home, or you would not have reacted.

You take pride in your position at UPS just like I take pride in my position at UPS.

I have guidelines to work with as well as you do. I have way more freedom to work within those guidelines then an hourly employee will ever do.

If we run it so bad how do we keep making money everyday (cause we are OCD on everything). Anytime anyone wants a real job let us know we are always hiring.

35years

Gravy route
You take pride in your position at UPS just like I take pride in my position at UPS.

I have guidelines to work with as well as you do. I have way more freedom to work within those guidelines then an hourly employee will ever do.

If we run it so bad how do we keep making money everyday (cause we are OCD on everything). Anytime anyone wants a real job let us know we are always hiring.

Thing is, I know I am a puppet.
Apparently you think you are a real boy, Pinocchio.
images

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

The weather men on our local TV stations feel the same way.

What a comfort it must be, to be able to be wrong half the time and still keep your job?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The weather men on our local TV stations feel the same way.

What a comfort it must be, to be able to be wrong half the time and still keep your job?

and we have a perfect example of my statement from earlier....yet he drives a truck everyday cause he wants too. He could be rich or powerful but he just wants to drive a truck. I have no less respect for you for driving the truck, because that is a choice you made, but it does not make you any smarter then management.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
and we have a perfect example of my statement from earlier....yet he drives a truck everyday cause he wants too. He could be rich or powerful but he just wants to drive a truck. I have no less respect for you for driving the truck, because that is a choice you made, but it does not make you any smarter then management.
Apples and oranges, but if that makes you feel better???

Difference being, I'm only selling my time, sweat, and toil.
To "just drive a truck" is lessor than my potential, or so I'm told, but it's an honest existence.

That I'm sure of....can you say the same for your choices?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When we don't make service on a package that left the building. I was just wondering why they make us go chase misloads all over the place.
In my building each Center has at least 2-3 Safety Committee gerbils held off of routes to shag misloads daily.
Most days, these "drivers" aren't allowed to record any deliveries or pick-ups in a DIAD, just endlessly chase drivers on either end of the misload.

This is done to artificially preserve the sacred "stops per car" metric, while throwing good money after bad.

As an employee, I'm left scratching my head at the dishonest game they play with themselves.
As a shareholder, I'm aghast at the wateful inefficiency of this practice of jumping over dimes to pickup nickles.

In my building each Center has at least 2-3 Safety Committee gerbils held off of routes to shag misloads daily.
Most days, these "drivers" aren't allowed to record any deliveries or pick-ups in a DIAD, just endlessly chase drivers on either end of the misload.

This is done to artificially preserve the sacred "stops per car" metric, while throwing good money after bad.

As an employee, I'm left scratching my head at the dishonest game they play with themselves.
As a shareholder, I'm aghast at the wateful inefficiency of this practice of jumping over dimes to pickup nickles.
That should be a full-time job, that I could bid.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Pride left November 10th, 1999

My guidelines are to deliver or pickup a package from A to B without any time constraints or performance standards. Your daily conference calls says you are way more ridgid in the performance of your duties.

If we run it so bad how do we keep making money everyday (cause we are OCD on everything).
Because Teamsters pickup packages for you.

Anytime anyone wants a real job let us know we are always hiring.
Is that why you have a serious supervisor retention issue?

F

Frankie's Friend

No thanks. We can punch out. You cant. And for the record, you make money because drivers break off the ODO to get businesses delivered that would be missed because of your stupid dispatch system and there are hourly that actually dont mind doing manual labor while the lazy and authority hungry take a management position. There's no qualifying period for management candidates for a reason. Scraping the bottom of the barrel today is the norm in selecting management. The existing hourly predominantly come here to work while the management employees only do enough to get by because they (most that we have seen) came here as lazy hourly and leave here as lazy management, having frustrated the hourly their whole tenure.
Garbage in garbage out.

F

Frankie's Friend

I will not blindly condemn all management. There are three categories imo:
* the ones that are lazy and inept at their jobs, frustrating the upsers that do care about the customers and the company's future.
* the ones that wish they could return to the hourly ranks.
* the (small percentage) of management that still have moral integrity and typically gravitate to higher and more sought after positions becsuse they are truly good, intelligent people.

We see the @Dragon type. What a joke that is.

F

Frankie's Friend

....yet he drives a truck everyday cause he wants too. He could be rich or powerful but he just wants to drive a truck.
"Rich or powerful". You really believe that you are powerful? There's your problem. Self inflated ego syndrome.
Riches are more than money and property amassed. You are just one heartbeat or terminal disease away from being broke.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

I hear what you are saying but at what point is it ok to miss deliveries? 1 in 100, 1 in 1,000, every other package? There is a balance that has to be maintained between keeping customers and being profitable. If we miss every other delivery we will lose all of our customers to the competition and none of us will have a job. If we double the number of drivers dispatched and 1/2 of them are running out in empty trucks chasing wrong cars the company loses money and layoffs are inevitable. Now consider that in the overall percentage of management of the company those "in the trenches," meaning the managers in the buildings with eyes on, is very, very small. Therefore in order to manage this huge company decisions are made according to reports. Those "in the trenches" are (hopefully) working within the guidelines given to them and the "reports" generated reflect this. You can not argue that UPS is profitable year in and year out.

I will not blindly condemn all management. There are three categories imo:
* the ones that are lazy and inept at their jobs, frustrating the upsers that do care about the customers and the company's future.
* the ones that wish they could return to the hourly ranks.
* the (small percentage) of management that still have moral integrity and typically gravitate to higher and more sought after positions becsuse they are truly good, intelligent people.

There is a fourth and I think we are knee deep in it and one must step back and LOOK. The seems to be a rather large turnover recently. The older guard are retiring or getting ready to retire. Meaning younger or rather "newer" managers are more numerous because both us hourlies and the new managers are the ones "in the trenches." I think maybe that is what you see, day in and day out, and that is dominating your viewpoint. Just like it took years to become great drivers the learning curve for these newer managers must be large. It takes time to learn the ropes, what can and can not be done, and how to make the changes a manager thinks needs to be changed while working within the system given to them.

I believe your first category has very, very few in it. I know of none in the second category (but that is my viewpoint from what I am seeing in my building.) The vast majority fit into the 3rd and fourth.

Last edited:

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!

I have a great family, a great house and great toys. I am very active in my community and all of my customers love and respect me (at least to my face.) I am rich and powerful and I JUST drive a truck!

Your last part is correct.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

This has been an issue in my building until I became a Safety member in order to hold specific managers accountable for “cooking the books”. It was a regular practice to use safety hours to deliver under the disguise of “Smith 2” and the like. That all has stopped now since a manager was disciplined for this action.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
The worst battles are in the bonus centers/hubs. You know the company NEVER posts telematics speeding results or talks with drivers about driving (way) over the speed limits. Its all abt safety bro. It really is. Barf.
.Nothing worse than having to cover for one of those heroes. Get to hear customers tell you so and so is here much earlier and then have supervisors ask you why it took you so long yesterday. Who cares and bite me