9.5 doesn’t work

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They honestly do not run enough routes, plus the later start times doesn't help. Then the wonder why that can't handle peak.
I don't think that will ever change. Never enough warm bodies, never enough equipment to run the operation. It was true back in '76 when I started and it's the same old song now.

BlackCat

Whippersnappers! Back in the day, there wasn't such thing as 9.5. You went out with whatever you had in your PC and ran it. When you came back in, you told the center manager "thank you for the work, sir. Can I have my regular workday plus a split off another driver tomorrow?"
That is also when 80 resi stops was a 9.5 day.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
It's much worse now. It's a :censored2:ing disaster. I've seen more drivers quit the last couple of years than I've seen my entire career.
There was never any turnover when I first started. Ever once in a while, someone would :censored3: up bad and the company would fire them. I was in a small center, and the opening that allowed me to bid on a driving job was because the driver dipped his wick on area and got caught after the woman (or her husband) had second thoughts and called in on him.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Whippersnappers! Back in the day, there wasn't such thing as 9.5. You went out with whatever you had in your PC and ran it. When you came back in, you told the center manager "thank you for the work, sir. Can I have my regular workday plus a split off another driver tomorrow?"
When we worked 9 hours.

There was never any turnover when I first started. Ever once in a while, someone would :censored3: up bad and the company would fire them. I was in a small center, and the opening that allowed me to bid on a driving job was because the driver dipped his wick on area and got caught after the woman (or her husband) had second thoughts and called in on him.
It was rare back then to see someone get fired or quit.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
In the early 90's they didn't want us going over 45 hours a week.
Exactly! I remember a day I was going over 10. If you go over 10 in ENE, you get a 20 min paid break added to your pay. So I call in over 10. They sent 4 drivers to help me. I never saw that again.

F

Frankie's Friend

Evidently they didnt drug test back when they drove horse and brown buggies.

F

Frankie's Friend

9 hours a day was PT when I drove. 11-12 hour days were the norm, though it did get better later on. Maybe the bean counters figured out how much it cost the bottom line in OT.
The fact that we have 9.5 language with penalty pay attached should tell you that it is not better. Theyd work us 12 hrs a day if they could. There arent any good ol days. The corruption is worse today than 20+ yrs ago when theyd fire management for dishonesty. Today, its a prerequisite for management.

ups1990

The reasoning they gave us for not going over 45 hours was that they didn't want the drivers making more than the supervisors.
Some years back, I recall sups getting bent out of shape because one driver in the So Cal region made 80 grand in a year. Oh! That can never happen, that's way too much for a driver to make!, they would yell and moan and complain.
Peanuts compared to what drivers make now. Hell! I know combo guys that make over 100k.

Some years back, I recall sups getting bent out of shape because one driver in the So Cal region made 80 grand in a year. Oh! That can never happen, that's way too much for a driver to make!, they would yell and moan and complain.
Peanuts compared to what drivers make now. Hell! I know combo guys that make over 100k.
I believe at the time , the lowest paid supervisor was supposed to make more than the highest paid driver.

brownproof

The reasoning they gave us for not going over 45 hours was that they didn't want the drivers making more than the supervisors.

We got guys here making over 100k on the 9.5 list