9.5 list

Bob11B

Some members here are saying that management is doing everything they can to keep them under 9.5 and it seems some are going over 9.5 often.

I believe according to the new contract, a list is supposed to be posted for those who want to opt out of the 9.5 (for those who want overtime) and yes I know this doesn’t mean they need to give you more hours. Has anyone had this list posted in their center?

Has anyone seen any changes in their center this week?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Some members here are saying that management is doing everything they can to keep them under 9.5 and it seems some are going over 9.5 often.

I believe according to the new contract, a list is supposed to be posted for those who want to opt out of the 9.5 (for those who want overtime) and yes I know this doesn’t mean they need to give you more hours. Has anyone had this list posted in their center?

Has anyone seen any changes in their center this week?

The union handles the list now. You can opt in or out any time with a week's notice. Only centers with 22.4 positions have the automatic eligibility. In centers without 22.4's, drivers still have to gain eligibility for the 9.5 list the old-fashioned way. That is my understanding, I welcome any corrections.

SafetyFirst

They're not keeping anyone under 9.5 in my center. They talked about it a while ago and dispatches were light for a little while. Not sure what happened but the last 2-3 weeks that seems to have been abandoned. Nobody ever said why.

Rack em

Made the Podium
The union handles the list now. You can opt in or out any time with a week's notice. Only centers with 22.4 positions have the automatic eligibility. In centers without 22.4's, drivers still have to gain eligibility for the 9.5 list the old-fashioned way. That is my understanding, I welcome any corrections.
We do not have 22.4s and our steward said EVERYONE is now on the list until they decide to remove themselves.

ManInBrown

Don’t forget, just because you’re on the list you still have to file when violated. Being on the list alone, does not hurt their pockets. The list is useless without filing the grievance when violated.

davidix

Union stewards with seniority lists all over the hub asking if you want on or off 9.5

Let's see if it means anything.

jbrockins

They're not keeping anyone under 9.5 in my center. They talked about it a while ago and dispatches were light for a little while. Not sure what happened but the last 2-3 weeks that seems to have been abandoned. Nobody ever said why.
at our small center in huron south dakota, our supervisor makes it clear every day that they only have to give us 8 hrs of work. she does everything possible to make this happen, adding as many routes as possible. for example, my route is an extended route, and she takes a handful of my stops in my area and gives them to another driver, and in return gives me stops that are supposed to go on that other route. all that accomplishes is adding 50 or 60 miles to the other route in order to bring it up to 8 hrs, and takes away about 20 miles from my day. its funny when 2 or more ups trucks cross paths 20 plus miles from the center within minutes of each other. i wonder if all centers are doing this? is upper management aware of this? and what would the ups stockholders think when they see the level of innefficiency we have sunk to. by the way i have 25 total years with the company, and do not own any stock, thank goodness.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We do not have 22.4s and our steward said EVERYONE is now on the list until they decide to remove themselves.

Might have your steward re-read the new contract article 22 section 4 subsection 12:

Screenshot_20190425-181339_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Image credit @542thruNthru

More discussion on the issue here:
When will Combo Drivers go into affect after Contract is Ratified?

Having your name on the list is not automatic and you still have to meet eligibility requirements to have the 9.5 protection.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Let me make sure I got this right. Your shop steward is saying any RPCD Driver regardless of years of service or route can now be on the 9.5 list automatically even though you have no Saturday Ground delivery...

If so... he's wrong and is going to upset a lot of people. He is correct that anyone eligible(4 years or own route) will be able to put their name on the list at anytime even if they haven't been violated 3 times but not EVERYONE.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Might have your steward re-read the new contract article 22 section 4 subsection 12:

View attachment 246507

Image credit @542thruNthru

More discussion on the issue here:
When will Combo Drivers go into affect after Contract is Ratified?

Having your name on the list is not automatic and you still have to meet eligibility requirements to have the 9.5 protection.
The language you posted is under article 22, but article 37 says otherwise. I don't know how to post the image of the contract like you did but article 37 now says that the union will collect the names of drivers who want to be on this list twice a year and that drivers can opt on and off the list giving a weeks notice. Article 37 does not say anything about 22.4 having to be used in the center.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Let me make sure I got this right. Your shop steward is saying any RPCD Driver regardless of years of service or route can now be on the 9.5 list automatically even though you have no Saturday Ground delivery...

If so... he's wrong and is going to upset a lot of people. He is correct that anyone eligible(4 years or own route) will be able to put their name on the list at anytime even if they haven't been violated 3 times but not EVERYONE.

I wanted to make sure I understood the language, we have quite a few drivers thinking they are automatically on the list and I don't want to be giving out bad info.

Rack em

Made the Podium

I agree that the language still has the certain criteria for getting on the 9.5 list. Although ol Stewie said everyone is on the list, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe the company won't catch on HAHA

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The language you posted is under article 22, but article 37 says otherwise. I don't know how to post the image of the contract like you did but article 37 now says that the union will collect the names of drivers who want to be on this list twice a year and that drivers can opt on and off the list giving a weeks notice. Article 37 does not say anything about 22.4 having to be used in the center.

I know. Article 22.4 includes language that affects, even contradicts, other articles. One of the main reasons I voted no was because I wanted 22.4 taken out, but I would have settled for the language being cleaned up, a lot. It will be interesting to see the grievances that arise from the poorly written language in this contract, and the subsequent panel or arbitration decisions.

542thruNthru

Yes it doesn't say that in Article 37 but it does say this.
Screenshot_20190501-235842_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

"By the provisions of this section" meaning the rules provided by this section. The rules are the other highlighted area. So they still apply to areas with no 22.4s.

542thruNthru

I agree that the language still has the certain criteria for getting on the 9.5 list. Although ol Stewie said everyone is on the list, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe the company won't catch on HAHA

That's true and let's hope they are that dumb. Because hell we know they can be and a win is a win. :)