A/C

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
He's referring to the fact that the article talks about how hot it gets in the back of the package car, but UPS is installing A/C in the cab. Referencing the fact that A/C in the cab will do nothing to reduce the heat in the back.
That too. But supposedly they are going to better ventilate the back. Will that be retro fitted or done gradually?

Trucker Clock

That too. But supposedly they are going to better ventilate the back. Will that be retro fitted or done gradually?

From the article

"Air conditioning is coming to UPS, and Teamster members in these vehicles will get the relief and protection they've been fighting for," Teamsters General President Sean O'Brien said.

It then goes on to say

The agreement was announced late Tuesday by the union. The issue of air conditioning was a major bargaining goal for the union in the negotiations. The union argues that, beyond the issue of comfort, the high temperatures in vans in the summer pose a significant health threat to members.

OK? How is A/C in the cab going to reduce the high temperatures in the cargo area? It won't even do much for the cab, except to possibly blow cool air for a few moments between stops, or possibly to and then back, from your route.

I know the article says they will install ducting, but O'Brien gloats that his A/C agreement will reduce the high temperatures in vans and reduce the heat threat to members. And the public believes him. Everything will be fine now. UPS is getting A/C......

Michael Scott

Had one day this last winter where my truck never read above -13. Zero recording while idle.
Work as directed. Was I way over allowed that day? You bet your booty. I'll shut the truck off, but I'm going to make sure I warm up, my windshield is clear, and I'm hydrated. I'll take the OT.
Sorry but im not losing a finger or toe to frostbite so that i can avoid a telematics infraction. Ive had weeks where ive probably had over 500 record in idles, could care less

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Sorry but im not losing a finger or toe to frostbite so that i can avoid a telematics infraction. Ive had weeks where ive probably had over 500 record in idles, could care less
That's all good man. I'm not going to tell you how to work.
There was never a point in that day where I felt like I was in danger. I have a very urban route, lots of stops, with businesses mixed in so I stay warm by being active.

swing_drv

He's referring to the fact that the article talks about how hot it gets in the back of the package car, but UPS is installing A/C in the cab. Referencing the fact that A/C in the cab will do nothing to reduce the heat in the back.
Actually A/C in the back would be a better answer. They make a 12 volt system that they use on 18 wheeler sleepers. They are called no ide air conditioners. Self contained and don't run off the engine . They charge back up when you go down the road.
Then you could just vent some air into the cab maybe over the driver. It could also be a upsell for customers with heat sensitive packages.

Trucker Clock

Actually A/C in the back would be a better answer. They make a 12 volt system that they use on 18 wheeler sleepers. They are called no ide air conditioners. Self contained and don't run off the engine . They charge back up when you go down the road.
Then you could just vent some air into the cab maybe over the driver. It could also be a upsell for customers with heat sensitive packages.

I agree. Better in the back than in the cab. But that is not the agreement.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Not necessarily. UPS could have agreed to this to keep the Union from pushing to retro-fit all package cars with A/C. This proposal could be a concession from UPS in and of itself, on this issue only, not affecting any other negotiations.
We will see.
No matter what happens with it it’s a public relations win for the company…they were getting hammered in the press over it.

anonymous23456

Such a silly hill to die on. How long will it take for these to even trickle down in noticeable numbers? Secondly we will have to pay for this somehow. Wether through concessions or extra work. It’s a great idea but not one that a lot of us will be able to use. Especially tighter routes where you may get a minute tops in between stops if that.
You are right about this. Anything UPS spends money on will come out of our bonus/paycheck indirectly. It isn't like UPS going to borrow money from the bank to pay for it.