A new generation at UPS

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Video:
A new generation at UPS 1:39

Fortune's Nadira Hira talks about how UPS is changing its training methods to suit the Gen Y workforce.

rod

Retired 22 years
they hit the nail on the head there. Gen Y's are never wrong and it's never their fault. That's just they way society has allowed their crybaby little brats to be raised now days. Heaven forbid if you actually tried to discipline one.

55andout?

they hit the nail on the head there. Gen Y's are never wrong and it's never their fault. That's just they way society has allowed their crybaby little brats to be raised now days. Heaven forbid if you actually tried to discipline one.

You hit the nail on the head as well. I am training a Gen Y to be a driver. He has been with the company 1 month and is now driving. He asks me why the job is coming so hard to him and I tell him he is not organized and that his car is a mess. He tells me he is organized and that his car is neat. He then falls over a package that fell on the floor. It would be funny if it wasnt so sad. I hope he is not the poster boy for all gen y.:sick:

toeknee2gx

As a Gen Y'er, im embarrassed...I agree with some of the training techniques being needed (as change is inevitable) but we gotta stop catering to these crybabies so much...

off topic: Nadira Hira is kinda hawt!!

happy harry

Thsi topic is ridiculous. How can you judge workers over generations. Technology has made our jobs easier over time. How can you compare a driver from 2007 to a driver in 1970? Truck models's are different,equiptment is more up to date,computer's are more helpful,so on and so forth. Also you are always going to have your good workers and your bad workers. Its reality. I just can't see this question developing. Just my two cents.

satellitedriver

Thsi topic is ridiculous. How can you judge workers over generations. Technology has made our jobs easier over time. How can you compare a driver from 2007 to a driver in 1970? Truck models's are different,equiptment is more up to date,computer's are more helpful,so on and so forth. Also you are always going to have your good workers and your bad workers. Its reality. I just can't see this question developing. Just my two cents.

How can you judge workers over generations, you ask.
Here's how.

Technology has made our jobs easier over time.(you say)

If it is easier, then why does it take 3X's longer for a new hire to reach a working skill level that was achieved in 30 days by the someone in the 80's.

How can you compare a driver from 2007 to a driver in 1970?

In the 70's a new driver did not need a simulator to teach them what falling down felt like and what the causes were that made it happen.

Truck models's are different,equiptment is more up to date,

Ha, Ha, that's a good one. I drive a P5, stadium seat, stick shift with 700,00 miles on it and no power steering.

I just can't see this question developing.

This statement proves my point. The question has already developed, that is why Ups has to go to such extremes to try and train a new worker in such basic skills of working, before it can train them to do the job they were hired for.
PAX

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
It does seem like a majority of the new hires are struggling with the day to day grind of making a living as a pkg driver. Not all, some have been brought up with a good work ethic and understand "it's just HARD work". But many don't have a clue that life in general is hard at times. I think they need that immediate gratification and 50-60 hour work weeks, 150 -200 stops a day, (here in the midwest) hot and humid in the summer and freezing cold in the winter( and even worse inside the pkg car) is a real eye opener for them and takes a big attitude adjustment. It is a good job for me but I wouldn't recommend for my kid.

happy harry

How can you judge workers over generations, you ask.
Here's how.

Technology has made our jobs easier over time.(you say)
Well thats just my opinion. I would still rather punch things into a computer than have millions of papers to turn in daily.

If it is easier, then why does it take 3X's longer for a new hire to reach a working skill level that was achieved in 30 days by the someone in the 80's.

One of the reasons it takes more time to train an employee now than it did then is UPS is a fortune 500 company and is more liable than ever before. With lawsuits pretty much for anything these days companies have to take the time to develop their employees with different aspects of business for example
1. Violence in the workplace
2. Loss Prevention
3. Technology (Diad,Scanners,I think clerks use AS400 not really too sure,
4.Time in Transit (Service)
5. Sexual Harrasment
6. Methods
7. OJT

The list can go on and on. When I was hired I got a binder covering every aspect off UPS. From methods to policies everything. This is a standard for pretty much all companies these days. There are just more things that companies try and hold there employees accountable for these days than years before.

How can you compare a driver from 2007 to a driver in 1970?

In the 70's a new driver did not need a simulator to teach them what falling down felt like and what the causes were that made it happen.
I agree
Truck models's are different,equiptment is more up to date,

Ha, Ha, that's a good one. I drive a P5, stadium seat, stick shift with 700,00 miles on it and no power steering.
Your not driving a 1913 ford model T. lol. There are still going to be P5's system wide until they phase them out. Just like anything.

I just can't see this question developing.

This statement proves my point. The question has already developed, that is why Ups has to go to such extremes to try and train a new worker in such basic skills of working, before it can train them to do the job they were hired for.
PAX

Basic job! I know drivers that make over $120,000 a year. And they deserve every penny. This job is one of the best and most fulfilling jobs you can have in this country these days. With the economy where it is, gas prices,real estate prices, food prices are at an all time high.I saw another posting talking about part timers and full timers working 2 and even 3 jobs just to make ends meat. It is physically and mentally demanding but i tell you what, there are not alot of jobs where you can make that kind of $ on 1 person's salary these days.

satellitedriver

Basic job! I know drivers that make over $120,000 a year. And they deserve every penny. This job is one of the best and most fulfilling jobs you can have in this country these days. With the economy where it is, gas prices,real estate prices, food prices are at an all time high.I saw another posting talking about part timers and full timers working 2 and even 3 jobs just to make ends meat. It is physically and mentally demanding but i tell you what, there are not alot of jobs where you can make that kind of $ on 1 person's salary these days.
I agree with your response, except for this part.

One of the reasons it takes more time to train an employee now than it did then is UPS is a fortune 500 company and is more liable than ever before. With lawsuits pretty much for anything these days companies have to take the time to develop their employees with different aspects of business for example
1. Violence in the workplace
2. Loss Prevention
3. Technology (Diad,Scanners,I think clerks use AS400 not really too sure,
4.Time in Transit (Service)
5. Sexual Harrasment
6. Methods
7. OJT
All these things, except #3, were part of becoming a driver 20 years ago.
Replace #3 with doing everything on paper and you have the same requirements to be a driver as you did in the good ole' days.
Also, I said basic skills, not basic job.
PAX

Guys, that's the way society generally evolves. Every generation has it a little easier than the previous generation did. When you were a kid, how many times did you hear your parents tell you "Oh I didn't have that when I was your age"? It's the same principal. I'm a gen-x and I'm sure the previous generation thought the same about us as we are thinking of gen-y. They have expectations because that's how society molded them. Just like someone else said, you can't single out the whole generation as lazy. There will be good, productive workers and lazy, unproductive workers.

Now let me get back to goofing off.