A possible MLK Holiday Solution?

R1wonder

That was the arbitration win from years ago, we get double time for working any holiday. That is why we felt if we gave up Black Friday that it was worth 2 days, not 1. Company wouldn’t go for it so after we voted down the supplemental they carved out us keeping it as a holiday and every other local got a day.

Any holiday we work is double time first 8 hours, triple time after that plus 8 hours holiday pay.
Ridiculous you guys get all that you’re two hours from me , we get :censored2:ed . No lube

TheOCbaby

I have been following the contract updates and it is my understanding that making MLK Day a holiday is one unresolved issue.

I believe that anyone who really and truly wants to have MLK Day off should be granted their wish.

That said, I also respect the reasons against pausing all operations at UPS for yet another day since this past Labor Day, traditionally one of the "major holidays" I saw Amazon drivers out delivering.

The solution I am informally proposing here, speaking for no one other than myself, but hoping to win other people over, is to have an additional discretionary day added to the contract which someone may choose to take on MLK day, or any other occasion, or receive a payout for the day at the end of the year.

As a general rule, I believe that the more options we give each other, the better off we will all be ultimately.

Some time ago, I started a thread asking if those in leadership at UPS or the IBT check out what is being posted here. Right now, I am really hoping they do though I am curious what even people who aren't in leadership think of my idea...and I figure I will find out soon enough...

TheOCbaby

The MLK holiday issue had already been addressed several contracts ago. When I first started in the mid-1980's, we were contractually granted paid birthday and anniversary day leave along with two FHP's. After MLK Day became a federal holiday and most states began adopting it as well, the Teamsters pushed to make it a paid holiday at UPS. The problem is that most businesses didn't observe it as a day off, so UPS needed to retain that day as an open work day. Eventually a solution was worked out that our birthday and anniversary paid days off would be converted to two additional FHP's (for a total of 4), so that employees could freely elect to utilize one of those FHP's to take paid time off on MLK day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
MLK day? Screw that, go for day after Thanksgiving.

MLK day should be observed on a Sunday anyway.

TheDudeAbides92

The idea that they would make MLK a holiday, celebrating a guy who was really a piece of garbage, but not Presidents’ Day (what used to be and still should be Washington’s Birthday) is despicable

But ewok company is gonna ewok I guess

Michael Scott

The idea that they would make MLK a holiday, celebrating a guy who was really a piece of garbage, but not Presidents’ Day (what used to be and still should be Washington’s Birthday) is despicable

But ewok company is gonna ewok I guess
Huh? Never heard anyone refer to MLK like that. U in the KKK or something?