A sign that DHL is really in trouble

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Good grief the started out by buying Air Borne.

Where I'm at, Air Bourne and DHL are all private contractors. When DHL took over Air Borne, the first thing they did was fire about 90% of their drivers. I still see the same DHL driver on my area, and he has always asked me that old question, "Is UPS hiring"?

Where I'm at, Air Bourne and DHL are all private contractors. When DHL took over Air Borne, the first thing they did was fire about 90% of their drivers. I still see the same DHL driver on my area, and he has always asked me that old question, "Is UPS hiring"?
Contractors here too, but what was AB became DHL. The drivers were and still are not contractors in such that they lease the trucks and pay all the expenses like FedX G. They are all on a monthly salary and do not get OT pay(contract labor). The contractor is who the drivers work for.

DHL pulled out of my area two weeks ago. I've had a few lost shipper's asking me where they are, that he hasn't been by to pick up. I pull the delivery notice pad from my pocket, and remind them that this is the only yellow we support and that I'm the wrong company to be asking DHL shipping questions.
I love to remind customers about that commercial when they are pleading with me to have their package, and not DHL. I tell them that I figured out why the old man on the porch was laughing so hard. The reason is; Because DHL is (and now closer to was) a friggin' joke!

Those are sales lead opportunities

Coldworld

60 months and counting
DHL pulled out of my area two weeks ago. I've had a few lost shipper's asking me where they are, that he hasn't been by to pick up. I pull the delivery notice pad from my pocket, and remind them that this is the only yellow we support and that I'm the wrong company to be asking DHL shipping questions.
I love to remind customers about that commercial when they are pleading with me to have their package, and not DHL. I tell them that I figured out why the old man on the porch was laughing so hard. The reason is; Because DHL is (and now closer to was) a friggin' joke!

didnt they even inform the shippers about this???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
when you guys and gals talk to customers that you know ship with the dutch hockey league, do you mention that they are pulling out of many towns, should we be saying this...what would be the best way to convey this to customers without talking too much smack.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

when you guys and gals talk to customers that you know ship with the dutch hockey league, do you mention that they are pulling out of many towns, should we be saying this...what would be the best way to convey this to customers without talking too much smack.

Remain the professional that you are and simply relay the facts that you know them to be. Don't offer conjecture. Simply tell them that DHL is downsizing and that we are ready to help to ensure your operations continue to run smoothly.

john346

No more Brown!
didnt they even inform the shippers about this???
I don't even think they told their drivers about this. I heard a story about a driver showing to work to find a locked & empty building, doubt it's true because how could you not hear anything and see the changes happening around you. You'd have to be extremely obtuse to not know whats happening.
Also I'm not pushy about getting them back, they know we are here, they have shipped with us before. I hired on to be a driver, not a salesman. Not too much grinds my gears more than someone trying to push their product on me, if I'm in their store, or asking them about the product, then fine, I'm shopping. When they ask, I'll be happy to assist them. Also, I'm not derogatory about any of the competition, as I'm actually glad they are here, I seem to be getting nothing short of 10.75's to solid 12.5's sent to me every day. I only empathize with the poor buggers who have been waiting for several days for their overnight DHL pkg that tracks to the local center, and then just dissapears. Can't wait to feel the pinch by these guys jumping ship.:whiteflag:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Here is a clear sign DHL customers are nervous about their service. A long time user of DHL used us for the first time and bulked out the truck front to back! The DHL straight truck actually came by and when he saw he had nothing to pick up saw him talking to himself and shaking his head. DHL here is slowing fading away.

COSMOS

We were shown a service map for DHL this morning that highlighted the areas not served starting next week. Looks like most of Idaho and Montana. California north of Sacremento. The entire state of Maine and then other isolated pockets accross the country. An attatch note said those areas will get packages by USPS but no pickups.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
We were shown a service map for DHL this morning that highlighted the areas not served starting next week. Looks like most of Idaho and Montana. California north of Sacremento. The entire state of Maine and then other isolated pockets accross the country. An attatch note said those areas will get packages by USPS but no pickups.
Anyone working in those states should be getting some excellent sales leads.Here in Brooklyn this week we are starting to see lots of movement from DHL shippers looking to switch.An added bonus is that July is double points for every lead that sells.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Funny,I remember a sheeting a Clarksville 22 years ago when I started.I think the address was 123 Smith St.

I believe there is a train station there as well; in fact, I was going to meet a friend there and these were the directions she gave me:

Take the last train to Clarksville and I'll meet you at the station. I can be there by 4:30....

moreluck

golden ticket member
Cause I`ve made your reservation
Don`t be slow, oh, no, no, no
Oh, no, no, no

I used to have the 33 1/3 record album. Remember vinyl?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Cause I`ve made your reservation
Don`t be slow, oh, no, no, no
Oh, no, no, no

I used to have the 33 1/3 record album. Remember vinyl?

Yes, and we used to play them at different speeds when we were bored. (33 1/3 at 45 or 78, 45 at 33 1/3 or 78 and 78 at 45 or 33 1/3) Of course, when you played them backwards, you would hear "hidden messages" (John is dead. John is dead.)