A Simpler Time

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
all the cradles busted again , supes running around like idiots switching people and trucks.
NOTHING CAN REPLACE TRUE RPCD AREA KNOWLEDGE!
Remember this is what UPS has created , not us.
UNION POWER
UNION STRENGTH

✊🧔

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
all the cradles busted again , supes running around like idiots switching people and trucks.
NOTHING CAN REPLACE TRUE RPCD AREA KNOWLEDGE!
Remember this is what UPS has created , not us.
UNION POWER
UNION STRENGTH

✊🧔
FFS
Sort perfectly
Pick the next box on the shelf and take a right 😂

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I still have check stubs from 1974 and beyond. I have them all in a big box out in the shed.
I still got a few from when I started in 1975. They didn't add the last number in the year for some reason, I just know how old they are by the pay rate. They used to put your Social Security number on your ID too.

over9five

Staff member
Had a clipboard fly right out the door....right into curb deep water....nearly full of delivery records. Those clipboard holders were razor sharp....always getting scraped cuts...nasty. My arms always dirty from boxdust and sweat.
We used to use them to cut COD tags and the red and blue tracking tags off.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I still have my clipboard, bankers clip, and two pristine 50 liners. I don't have this timecard, I saw it on a UPS Retirees page.
Did you grab a 1st generation DIAD? I would love to hold one of those Again! 😂 Carpal tunnel syndrome.

B75BEC6F-2C92-4CC0-AEC9-210B31E5F72A.jpeg

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I used all five DIADs, my Center tested one of the early ones. The first one they let us take it home and practice on it. I took the screws out the back to see how it was put together. I went to DeVry Tech out of high school to study computer design. The motherboard was fragile and broke easily if dropped. One of our drivers sat his on his back bumper backing up to a dock and ran over it. We had to stop and transmit data over a phone during the day, no Bluetooth or Wifi back then.

quad decade guy

I used all five DIADs, my Center tested one of the early ones. The first one they let us take it home and practice on it. I took the screws out the back to see how it was put together. I went to DeVry Tech out of high school to study computer design. The motherboard was fragile and broke easily if dropped. One of our drivers sat his on his back bumper backing up to a dock and ran over it. We had to stop and transmit data over a phone during the day, no Bluetooth or Wifi back then.
I had forgotten about the phone thing!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone remember replacing telephones?
That phone exchange service didn’t last very long. I was on a warehouse route and didn’t have do it. People used to rent home phones as part as their phone bill and most didn’t know it. They paid that phone off multiple times, a big money maker for the phone company.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I still have my 1980 ID card...the pink one..a bit worn, been through the wash a few times.

First job when I hired in was sheet count, there was no IE department..we just manually added up the driver’s turn in sheets, I believe that there was also a carbon copy.

Those cash COD’s were always a risk, they had a safe next to a trash can 🗑. Many a times I had to take a second thought whether I placed them in the wrong dispenser.🙀

oldngray

nowhere special
That phone exchange service didn’t last very long. I was on a warehouse route and didn’t have do it. People used to rent home phones as part as their phone bill and most didn’t know it. They paid that phone off multiple times, a big money maker for the phone company.
Until the 1970's or so you weren't allowed to own your own phone. Your had to pay rent to the phone company.

Shiftless

How about a 2nd day air pickup book. Fur call box. Shipper stamp. End of day
turn in COD list form.
Pens were black,

Paper was wet and Carbon was junk! Clipboards and Bull dogs!

Never use a diad boardee thingee ma job!

May Co, Broadway, Sears, Bullocks and alike were just a single digit paper entries instead of all 6 digits (like 1 or 5 dependent on which brand of store it came from.

Driver's were rolling COD's !

Then they had the audacity to make us start putting in the 3 digit # in the remarks column they put by the shipper stamp!

Micro brakes were a HOOT!

Those P O S Vacuum windshield wipers were total JUNK!!

Electric popping bulk head doors!

Electric popping back doors!

Driver's Overhead shelf! Great place for old coke bottles to drop on a drivers head! Once that happened, you always LOOKED!

UN-sprung rear bumpers that really told you that you hit the dock or wall, they Always missed the rubber dock bumpers!!!

Skinny shelves that one tap of a curb or off angle driveway approach 1/2 to 3/4 of the shelves were in the middle piled or on the floor!

This was over the top for me when they said "You have to call in before you come back to the building" So I did two things!

First I made sure I had to use a pay phone! Then I told them they owed me a dime back for the call! They whined and whimpered use your last stops phone! NOPE! Doing residential cant do it! Now on my COD turn in I got my dime back every day!

Second thing I did was to walk over to HR and put a feeder transfer in as I wasn't gonna deliver pkg's ANYMORE! I was 23 years old, youngest feeder driver ever in that building. I was greeted by my old boss when I was a mule driver/shifter who now was the feeder manager. First thing outta this dip shifts mouth was "Come in my office, I don't want you as a feeder driver, you young guys are nothing but trouble I want you gone" ??? TOO bad suck face I figured! I earned the right, I had my ducks in a row, I was coming in anyway! He didn't get to challenge me long! He was caught falsifying record's and he was Shift Canned 2 months later!

Sorry, this post made me bring up how bad it was in the GOLDEN YEARS!!!! LOL

trickpony1

I would occasionally put an extra dollar in my COD turn in just to see if they caught my "mistake".
They always caught it and returned it to me.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Had a supervisor training me on my first phone exchange. We ring the bell and an older woman comes to the door. He tells her we have her new phone and we need her old one. She informs him that her old one is still hooked up and it is her only phone in the house. He asks her “ You want this phone or want us to send it back?” She says she wants the new phone but that would put her without a phone till the phone company got there to hook it up. ( this was back before plug and play. All phones were hard wired)

Supervisor proceeds to pull out his pocket knife and cuts the cord on the old phone. Hands her the new phone and we are out the door while she stands there with her mouth open.

This was my second day on the job. I remember thinking “ What in the heck have I gotten myself into”