A supervisor stands up to the IE manager...and pays the price

talkwith

When PAS was installed in our center we were expected to run 85% on trace. Of course, that almost never happens because virtually none of the drivers were consulted when they were organizing EDD. Only recently have they begun to talk about speaking to drivers about organizing their EDD. Apparently, corporate is going to start cracking down on the 80% or 85% trace issue. Regardless. It is your route and you can run it as you please as long as you deliver your time sensitive packages and businesses on time. Don't let your supervisor bully you into thinking otherwise.

If your EDD is terrible run %100 for a couple of weeks. You will have so many missed packages, extra miles and overallow that they will beg you to help them straighten it out. Unfortunately, that is generally the only way to get things done in the current atmosphere .

Skipping your lunch is a guaranteed way to get stops added to your route. And don't use your lunch to sort your car. That is part of your paid day. If they reprimand you about overallow tell them to train your preloader better and fix your EDD. Many of them want you to skip your lunch because it makes their numbers look better.

Follow the methods. You will regret it if you don't. Use your dolly frequently. Use the handrail. Lock your door. Keep your keys with you at all times. Use your seatbelt. And follow the freaking speed limit. You are not required to break the speed limit. Never be afraid to invite your supervisor along for a ride. Often their attitude will change after riding with you.

If you are over-dispatched it is not your fault. They expect you to get it done. Take your lunch. Walk at a normal pace. Let them know about missed pickups and businesses beforehand. It is worth the sacrifice now to let them know that you are not going to kill yourself for the company. They will stop expecting too much of you if follow the methods.

They cannot hold you accountable for the average SPH calculated during a lock-in ride. Do not be intimidated by threats of discipline if you run less SPH. All sorts of factors can influence your SPH: weather, over 70's, CODs, traffic, number of packages etc..

Many supervisors want you to cheat to help their numbers. They know who isn't following the methods. But if you are boosting their numbers they don't care unless you get caught by an outside party.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Every once in a while the "85% on trace" number will pop up as a flavor of the week and our sups will run around whining at whoever isnt generating the metrics that they want to see.

I always give them (2) choices; I can either use my 15 years of experience and area knowledge to be as efficient as possible...or I can turn myself into a brainless android who runs 100% no matter how inefficient or counterproductive it might be. End of menu. 85%? Its just a number. It doesnt mean anything. I'm a driver....if I wanted to manipulate irrelevant statistics for a living I would have gone into IE.

brownIEman

Every once in a while the "85% on trace" number will pop up as a flavor of the week and our sups will run around whining at whoever isnt generating the metrics that they want to see.

I always give them (2) choices; I can either use my 15 years of experience and area knowledge to be as efficient as possible...or I can turn myself into a brainless android who runs 100% no matter how inefficient or counterproductive it might be. End of menu. 85%? Its just a number. It doesnt mean anything. I'm a driver....if I wanted to manipulate irrelevant statistics for a living I would have gone into IE.

so those are the only 2 options available huh, brainless android or forget the system all together. No other options, no possible middle ground?

Tell you what, how about we reduce your hourly pay rate to $10.00. It is just a number, it doesn't mean anything.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
When PAS came into our building total miles in the center went up over 500 a day. Ingenious miles saving computerized mapping technology. I have no idea what my trace % is.

Last edited:

brownIEman

When PAS came into our building total miles in the center went up over 500 a day. Ingenious miles saving computerized mapping technology. I have no idea what my trace % is.

From what you say, it is not really possible to tell if PAS has been a problem in your center. You say the miles went up 500 per day, but then follow up with you have no idea what your trace % effective is. If your trace % effective is say 2%, and that is average for the drivers in your building, then effectively you are not really using the plans set up in PAS to run the route so you really cant blame the system for the increase in miles...

I did hear one statistic, that overall, the centers deployed with PAS in 2008 had a total of 11 million fewer miles than in the prior year. I was involved in deploying centers, and I experienced both centers that went up and those that went down in miles right after deployment. Usually had mostly to do with the strength of the Disaptch Planners and the ability of the deployment team and center team to get buy in and cooperation from the drivers.

brownrodster

When I was in package, the minute I figured I was screwed, especially if I thought I was going to go over 9.5, I would start backing off my pace. But if there was a chance I would be done in 8 and skate, I would push real hard to get done. You see, The Simpsons re-runs would start at 6:30 and I would work my ass off to see the 1 1/2 hour long block of them :happy-very:.

I have that same attitude a lot of the time. If I can punch out in 8 or less I will skip my breaks and maybe sort my truck at lunch. If I'm out late I make sure I don't forget any breaks and definately don't touch a package at lunch. Sometimes is nice to get off early and well worth skipping a break for it.

From what you say, it is not really possible to tell if PAS has been a problem in your center. You say the miles went up 500 per day, but then follow up with you have no idea what your trace % effective is. If your trace % effective is say 2%, and that is average for the drivers in your building, then effectively you are not really using the plans set up in PAS to run the route so you really cant blame the system for the increase in miles...

The only change (in the route) is that EDD/Pas has changed how the route is ran, forcing extra miles.
If the miles didn't go up, the trace % would be low. If you follow the screwed up EDD, the miles go up.

I did hear one statistic, that overall, the centers deployed with PAS in 2008 had a total of 11 million fewer miles than in the prior year.
I really don't want this to sound as a criticism of you, but we all know how UPS has a tendency to manipulate stats.
I was involved in deploying centers, and I experienced both centers that went up and those that went down in miles right after deployment. Usually had mostly to do with the strength of the Disaptch Planners and the ability of the deployment team and center team to get buy in and cooperation from the drivers.
The drivers (for the most part) have one goal in mind each day. That goal is to get their route delivered as quickly and safely as possible and get home. Few drivers do anything to work more hours per day. You speak of cooperation from the drivers. How about some cooperation from management? I can't begin to estimate how many times I have heard drivers(myself included) beg management to work with them to fix the problems in the "system" only to be ignored.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
It is your route and you can run it as you please as long as you deliver your time sensitive packages and businesses on time. Don't let your supervisor bully you into thinking otherwise.

Oh you youngsters know it all don`t you. If you fail to follow instructions given to you by a supervisor, you will no longer have a route to run!!

By the way unless you are an independent contractor that bought your route from the company(and I am pretty sure the Union has not gone under yet) the routes belong to UPS not you!!!

grgrcr88

Skipping your lunch is a guaranteed way to get stops added to your route. And don't use your lunch to sort your car. That is part of your paid day. If they reprimand you about overallow tell them to train your preloader better and fix your EDD. Many of them want you to skip your lunch because it makes their numbers look better.

I can assure you that neither the company nor the union wants you to skip your lunch, It does nothing but put them all in a bad position. Lunch is not paid and is not part of your paid day. The time you are on lunch comes out of the on road time therefore it does not affect anyones numbers in any way.

Example
You clock in at 9am work until 1800 and skip lunch you worked 9 hrs
You clock in at 9am take 30 mins lunch and clock out at 1830 still 9hrs

grgrcr88

They cannot hold you accountable for the average SPH calculated during a lock-in ride. Do not be intimidated by threats of discipline if you run less SPH. All sorts of factors can influence your SPH: weather, over 70's, CODs, traffic, number of packages etc..

Oh contrare monfrare, if you are locked in to a certain SPOHR you can and will be held acountable to that SPORH.

I will agree that the numbers will have to be similar but if you go out and certify at 19.5 Sporh with a sup on car and then start running 17 SPORH without sup, you will pay the price.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
What I find funny is the I.E. people who post here trying to justify their department's decisions. Your job is to increase production, often at the expense of our humanity. Most of us here are not going to celebrate the fact that the company wants us to operate like automatons.

UPS Lifer

Interesting thread - I have not had time to spend on BC lately (still don't!) but I needed a little break today. I always love the thought provoking discussion from EVERYBODY!

Tie - don't let the management bashing get to you. I realize it is more of the censorship issue than an issue with soberups. The mods have a job to do and I think they do it well! You are way better than the few posts I saw at the beginning of this thread. Sober.... I get you! We don't always agree but you have a lot of thoughtful comments that make sense. If we can look past management vs non-management and us vs them we can and will make progress ... if we can't look past that we won't survive.

Thank you for quoting me the rule :happy2:
The only parts of that section that could possibly be construed as a "method" is the bit about entering your lunch in the DIAD and securing the DIAD in the cargo area. Actually taking your hour lunch is a rule.
I'm still not seeing how all this makes your day more difficult?

Jones - Here are the definitions of method and rule.

Method - a particular form of procedure for accomplishing or approaching something, esp. a systematic or established one : a method for software maintenance | labor-intensive production methods.
• orderliness of thought or behavior; systematic planning or action :

Rule - one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere : the rules of the game were understood.
• a law or principle that operates within a particular sphere of knowledge, describing or prescribing what is possible or allowable : the rules of grammar.
• ( the rule) the normal or customary state of things : such accidents are the exception rather than the rule.

You guys spent a lot of posts (who is right and who is WRONG) arguing over NOTHING! LOL! This sounds more like a pissing contest!

Sober - why don't you sit down with your supervisor and show him/her a better way to run your route. I contend that most time is lost in the back of the package car "massaging" the load. Work with your supervisor until the trace is acceptable! It will make your job easier in the long run.

Back in the day - 1975 to be exact. My supervisor handed me a bunch of punch cards and asked me to put them in the correct order for delivery. I had to add cards, break up block numbers add streets etc but boy was it worth it in the end. I never forgot that when I went into management. Anytime a driver asked for help I was there to assist and help fix a problem. My point is that this didn't just start with EDD. If your supervisor won't help, find someone who will.... that "someone" is out there and will help you. I guarantee it!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I can assure you that neither the company nor the union wants you to skip your lunch, It does nothing but put them all in a bad position. Lunch is not paid and is not part of your paid day. The time you are on lunch comes out of the on road time therefore it does not affect anyones numbers in any way.

Example
You clock in at 9am work until 1800 and skip lunch you worked 9 hrs
You clock in at 9am take 30 mins lunch and clock out at 1830 still 9hrs

Correct, but you are looking at it wrong.

The driver previous to me on the route I am working skipped all of his lunches. Conversely, HE PUT IN A 1 HOUR LUNCH INTO BOARD. Therefore, what you are saying is not true. The numbers are skewed and I am screwed because of it.

NHDRVR

Our center wants 80%.

I want the guy who handles dispatch to stop altering the damn car plan every morning so I don't have my EDD screwed with.

I guess we are both going to continue to want things that neither will get...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Interesting thread - I have not had time to spend on BC lately (still don't!) but I needed a little break today. I always love the thought provoking discussion from EVERYBODY!

Tie - don't let the management bashing get to you. I realize it is more of the censorship issue than an issue with soberups. The mods have a job to do and I think they do it well! You are way better than the few posts I saw at the beginning of this thread. Sober.... I get you! We don't always agree but you have a lot of thoughtful comments that make sense. If we can look past management vs non-management and us vs them we can and will make progress ... if we can't look past that we won't survive.

Jones - Here are the definitions of method and rule.

Method - a particular form of procedure for accomplishing or approaching something, esp. a systematic or established one : a method for software maintenance | labor-intensive production methods.
• orderliness of thought or behavior; systematic planning or action :

Rule - one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct within a particular activity or sphere : the rules of the game were understood.
• a law or principle that operates within a particular sphere of knowledge, describing or prescribing what is possible or allowable : the rules of grammar.
• ( the rule) the normal or customary state of things : such accidents are the exception rather than the rule.

You guys spent a lot of posts (who is right and who is WRONG) arguing over NOTHING! LOL! This sounds more like a pissing contest!

Sober - why don't you sit down with your supervisor and show him/her a better way to run your route. I contend that most time is lost in the back of the package car "massaging" the load. Work with your supervisor until the trace is acceptable! It will make your job easier in the long run.

Back in the day - 1975 to be exact. My supervisor handed me a bunch of punch cards and asked me to put them in the correct order for delivery. I had to add cards, break up block numbers add streets etc but boy was it worth it in the end. I never forgot that when I went into management. Anytime a driver asked for help I was there to assist and help fix a problem. My point is that this didn't just start with EDD. If your supervisor won't help, find someone who will.... that "someone" is out there and will help you. I guarantee it!
Why thank you Lifer, I already knew the definitions and that was the basis for my position on what was a "method" vs what was a "rule", but you probably helped clear it up even more.

brownIEman

The drivers (for the most part) have one goal in mind each day. That goal is to get their route delivered as quickly and safely as possible and get home. Few drivers do anything to work more hours per day. You speak of cooperation from the drivers. How about some cooperation from management? I can't begin to estimate how many times I have heard drivers(myself included) beg management to work with them to fix the problems in the "system" only to be ignored.

trplnkl,

I agree with you. I stated the problem as the ability of the center to get buy in and cooperation from the drivers, as opposed to saying the drivers giving buy in and cooperating for a reason. The responsibility for fixing the issues in the plans is and continues to be on the shoulders of the center management team. Most drivers I dealt with were willing to give the system a fair shake, at least to start with. If things broke down, it was usually because the center teams did not understand the system well enough to fix route plans, or did not spend the time to work with the drivers to repair issues.
In the centers where the working relationships were good and management dug in and put in the long hours to understand the system and the routes and worked openly with the drivers to explain the need for changes the drivers did not like and make an honest effort to implement changes the drivers wanted and could justify, the miles went down and SPORH went up, every time.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If the company is saving 11 million miles a year with this system then mgmnt should be embarrassed. What were they getting paid to do before? I don't believe this number and if it is true it is at the expense of those customers we are losing because of inconsistent delivery times.