A win for FedEx Freight drivers!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there is only so much abuse a self respecting man or women can take before fighting back.

we had to fight tooth and nail for everything we have and we have to keep fighting to try to keep it.

good luck. it will be worth it in the long term.

morgan

I usually don't post on here because I know management is constantly on here reading what's written. but I'm reading a lot of posts pertaining to express. I have basically studied and read the "rla" and as it affects express and it is either every station and employee of express can unionize or none of it. fred operates express under this old outdated law to keep the union out and labor costs lower. he has tried with other opco's to keep unions out by trying to use the rla but more and more courts are ruling against that since ground and freight is mostly made up of trucking companies they purchased over the years. every time a ground or freight hub tries to unionize they send out the money men from Memphis to go fix the problem with money and perks. when the teamsters were close to getting the rla repealed about 5 or 6 years ago fred purchased himself a senator and threatened the economy by threatening to not purchase the planes he had on order(think it was around 25 planes) and by not expanding fedex. he ended up winning that round.
as I see it, with freight now stepping into the union they will soon expand the union within freight and then it'll be ground and home. once that is accomplished the teamsters will be in a great position to repeal a freight airline from the rla. fedex knows what the right thing to do is and hiding under the banner of the RLA is not it. it's only a matter of time now. and with how they screw with employees on a daily basis I can't wait till the RLA is history. maybe then express will be able to achieve top of range because the way it's structured now no new hire will ever top out even if they stay there till retirement with 25 plus years of service. fred should be ashamed of himself!

MAKAVELI

Not to bring politics into it, but WTF?! Suddenly Fedex shows signs of organizing...just as America votes in the Chamber of Commerce backed republicans. The timing couldn't have been worse.
Just what do you think the republicans will do to stop Freight from going union?

bbsam

Staff member
Just what do you think the republicans will do to stop Freight from going union?
Nothing. But any idea that there will be a ground swell of support to bring congressional relief from the RLA should be given up right now. If it didn't happen in the last six years, it won't happen now. And these aren't Tea Party senators coming in. They are establishment, Chamber of Commerce...Fred S republicans.

MAKAVELI

Nothing. But any idea that there will be a ground swell of support to bring congressional relief from the RLA should be given up right now. If it didn't happen in the last six years, it won't happen now. And these aren't Tea Party senators coming in. They are establishment, Chamber of Commerce...Fred S republicans.
I think if the rla was to be repealed, it definitely would be after the 2016 elections. But I don't think the republican majority will do anything to stop the current campaign at Freight. Once all of Freight goes union and they negotiate a contract then the Teamsters can focus on Express.

morgan

Can't really unionize Ground drivers. They don't all work for the same company.
of course ground employees can unionize. not all plumbers, pipefitters, carpenters or electricians work for the same company but they can unionize under that trade. believe me I'm not convinced a union is the way to go with fedex but when you work for a company that is intent on screwing the employee at every turn the threat just may be enough for them to get their heads out of their ******