ABA Therapy

NerdGirl

I've been working at UPS for 6 months now. My daughter has autism and gets OT, speech and ABA therapy. A lot of insurance companies try to get out of paying for ABA or limiting visits. Since I don't have my insurance yet I don't know if or how much they cover. Anyone know?

trickpony1

If it were me, I'd keep my mouth shut and wait until I had insurance to find out.

Knowing now isn't going to change anything.

NerdGirl

If it were me, I'd keep my mouth shut and wait until I had insurance to find out.

Knowing now isn't going to change anything.
Well for me it would. I'd be making some different work decisions considering the reason I'm working this job has everything to do with my daughter. Why waste my time here if it isn't going to be beneficial for the reasons I need it to be?

NerdGirl

He does have a point, although it is illegal to deny coverage due to preexisting conditions.
True. But what is coverage? She requires 20 hrs a week. Is it only going to cover two hrs and now I'm stuck paying 18 out of of pocket? But your saying well I'm covering you. I'm basing this off what's going on around me with other patients and their insurance companies.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True. But what is coverage? She requires 20 hrs a week. Is it only going to cover two hrs and now I'm stuck paying 18 out of of pocket? But your saying well I'm covering you. I'm basing this off what's going on around me with other patients and their insurance companies.

Kid, I have absolutely no idea what insurance you are covered under, let alone what the coverage limits are. You need to call the plan administrator and ask for a Summary Plan Description, which will outline all of your covered items and the co-pays/deductibles.

trickpony1

He does have a point, although it is illegal to deny coverage due to preexisting conditions.

That's exactly where I was going with this.
Once they find out her child will cost the plan much money, I wouldn't put it past them to fire Mom for some chickenscratch reason.

Like I said, keep your mouth shut. You'll find out soon what coverage you have. Once you have it they can't take it away. But if you never get it....

NerdGirl

I honestly was asking people on here who had experience having an autistic child and working for UPS. Obivously if your in a different local then me things are going to very in terms and of coverage and I wouldn't expect you to know. Telling someone to keep their mouth shut and not ask questions is exactly why people aren't getting the help they need for themselves or their kids. Simply saying ask your plan administrator is all I needed to know. You can keep the attitude to yourself.

MAKAVELI

That's exactly where I was going with this.
Once they find out her child will cost the plan much money, I wouldn't put it past them to fire Mom for some chickenscratch reason.

Like I said, keep your mouth shut. You'll find out soon what coverage you have. Once you have it they can't take it away. But if you never get it....

If I were Mom I would call and ask when my coverage starts and when coverage for my child starts. That's it.
That makes absolutely zero sense. She's already passed probation and a union member. What difference does it make in 6 months when she's eligible for insurance?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That makes absolutely zero sense. She's already passed probation and a union member. What difference does it make in 6 months when she's eligible for insurance?

D7EEA2E4-0149-430C-B3D5-827F84265E11.gif

Benefits haven’t kicked in yet