About shoes...

killamjl

Well Im a new full time driver (1 year in) and have been wearing a pair of sketchers steal toe boots forever. I like them cause they fit well, lightweight (for a steal toe), and have great traction.

Anyway, even though I like my shoes they defintaly wear down my feet and was wondering if anyone found a really comfortable brand or in-sole. Im a bit flat footed and this job is rough on your feet obviously, so Im not looking for the miracle shoe but still would like to know what you guys/gals are using out there.

swing_drv

My on road sup told me about Rockport shoes. So I bought a pair ..... and love them. Kinda pricey but you can get some good deals off the net.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My on road sup told me about Rockport shoes. So I bought a pair ..... and love them. Kinda pricey but you can get some good deals off the net.

I wear some brown Rockport hiking shoes. They are lightweight and feel comfortable on my feet. You can find them on sale all over the place, usually run 70-80 dollars. They last me about 4-5 months, I'm bad on the heels.

I would definitely have to say the Ecco Flexors are the best shoe I've ever worn. I've had em all and these shoes are just light,sturdy, and really comfortable. I also think that they hold up the best out of any shoe I've had. I know that if you buy them at theWalkingCompany.com... you can get a UPS discount of 20%. I will wear these shoes for the rest of my career guaranteed.:thumbup1:
5530-3231-060.jpg

trickpony1

If you are flat-footed or losing your arch you may want to try orthotics. These are custom made for your foot and not what you buy off the shelf at Wal-Mart.
Our insurance pays a significant portion of the bill.
A relative is a nurse who is on her feet 12+ hours a day. She says her feet hurt significantly less to almost not at all since she got her orthotics.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
My first summer at UPS I wore a pair of Dr. Marten's shoes. So very well made and comfortable but damned expensive. I still have them, actually.

The next two summers I cheaped-out and bought shoes from Walmart and other discount stores and man, you really do get what you pay for. I don't think I ever had a pair of Walmart shoes last beyond three weeks before the soles fell off.

This summer I bought a pair of Columbia's and they have lasted me up until this point and show no signs of falling apart. Very lightweight and comfortable. Cost me $110 though.

The problem for me is that I take a size 13 and finding nice looking brown shoes is somewhat challenging. Black is less of a problem but I personally think black shoes with the brown uniform looks bad on me.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I personally will never use rockports for this job again. I bought Rocks as my first pair of shoes as a driver since they were recommended to us in driver school. I had them blown out in about 2-3 weeks. never again.

I'll stick to my Nikes

browned_out

:thumbup1: Don't buy cheap shoes! Wolverine, Redwing, Rockport etc, all make good sturdy comfortable boots. Can't tell you what to wear, but I use Wolverine boots, light, good cushion soles, as far as how long they'll last, depends on the person. This job eats up most soles in about 4-6 months.

Big Babooba

Everbody's feet are different for sure. If you are having problems then see a podiatrist. Orthotic inserts can make a difference. After all, your feet take the most punishment. Your ankles, knees,hips and even back can be affected by your feet. I wear 6-8 inch high boots year round for the ankle support. I prefer Rockys, but that is a matter of personal taste. Management won't let me wear shorts with these boots, but I really don't mind because I wear winter pants all year long ( Frustrates a lot of dogs).

labels_up

Box slinger
I wear a pair of Red Wings steel toes. Work in the hub, but I double shift so I spend (almost) as much time in my boots as some of you driver guys (and I wore them when doing driver helper last peak.)

Very comfortable, are still holding up well after almost a year, plenty of ankle support, and Red Wings gives UPS'ers a discount (15-20% I think). They will even clean your shoes for free if you bring them into the store.

Downside is they are expensive ($120 w/discount and tax), but I remember them being so comfortable they didn't require a painful breaking in like the last (cheap) pair of boots I bought.