About to file my first grievance

Hi, I'm a part time package handler at my hub. When I signed up for the job I agreed to work the 2nd half shift which is 440am - 9am or 10am. Recently the last few weeks management has been telling us on our day 6 which is Friday night that all part time handlers are required to work day 1 (Sunday) or they initialize a new start time for us on day 2 usually from 10pm-1150pm depending on business needs. I have been repeativly reminded supervisors that I cannot work these hours as a part time employee as I have other life commitments. So today I go in at my normal schedule time at 440am, and was instructed to go to the office where I also met with two other part timers. The supervisor asked why we weren't here when scheduled (1130pm) and has threated us with disciplinary action if we do not show up tonight at 1150pm. I find this unfair and have spoke to other employees that believe it is wrong to punish us for having other responsibilities besides working when UPS wants us to work. We should not be treated as if we are disposable. Is this grounds for filing a grievance? My plan is to show up when I'm regularly scheduled at 440am knowing I'll be getting sent to the office. Should I make it clear I will be filing against said supervisor right then and there or?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hi, I'm a part time package handler at my hub. When I signed up for the job I agreed to work the 2nd half shift which is 440am - 9am or 10am. Recently the last few weeks management has been telling us on our day 6 which is Friday night that all part time handlers are required to work day 1 (Sunday) or they initialize a new start time for us on day 2 usually from 10pm-1150pm depending on business needs. I have been repeativly reminded supervisors that I cannot work these hours as a part time employee as I have other life commitments. So today I go in at my normal schedule time at 440am, and was instructed to go to the office where I also met with two other part timers. The supervisor asked why we weren't here when scheduled (1130pm) and has threated us with disciplinary action if we do not show up tonight at 1150pm. I find this unfair and have spoke to other employees that believe it is wrong to punish us for having other responsibilities besides working when UPS wants us to work. We should not be treated as if we are disposable. Is this grounds for filing a grievance? My plan is to show up when I'm regularly scheduled at 440am knowing I'll be getting sent to the office. Should I make it clear I will be filing against said supervisor right then and there or?
ask to have a shop steward present for/if the next meeting and explain your situation. Your word vs. theirs is an attempt to exploit and trap you.

ask to have a shop steward present for/if the next meeting and explain your situation. Your word vs. theirs is an attempt to exploit and trap you.
There was a steward present when we were all sent to the office. That's what I am trying to avoid, i dont want to say certain things to management and end up regretting it.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Sounds like your supervisor was actually being a decent guy by only telling you he'll write you up if you do it again...

What are you looking to grieve, specifically?
There is no "he can't change my start time from week to week" article in the contract.

Sounds like your supervisor was actually being a decent guy by only telling you he'll write you up if you do it again...

What are you looking to grieve, specifically?
There is no "he can't change my start time from week to week" article in the contract.

Well I just find it fishy that he held the conversation with 2 other employees who also showed up at 440am. I know the one is planning to do the same thing and show up tomorrow same time despite what we were told. Guess they're just going to have to find 2 more new hires.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Well I just find it fishy that he held the conversation with 2 other employees who also showed up at 440am.
What do you find fishy about that? He called the 3 people in the office who didn’t follow instruction. Should he have also chewed out the others who followed directions?
Guess they're just going to have to find 2 more new hires.
No offense man but you are a dime a dozen. There is a line around the block with people who would gladly take your job.

My main point though is I signed up to work at 440am. NOT 1150pm. Managements communication with workers is horrible. I work the same time 4 out of the 5 days of the week. Then its somehow my fault when they want to change up the start times? How am I supposed to flex my life around that. There are better things than working here. This isn't my career choice. I selected these hours to work because they fit my schedule.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
My main point though is I signed up to work at 440am. NOT 1150pm. Managements communication with workers is horrible. I work the same time 4 out of the 5 days of the week. Then its somehow my fault when they want to change up the start times? How am I supposed to flex my life around that. There are better things than working here. This isn't my career choice. I selected these hours to work because they fit my schedule.

You don't sign up for times. You sign up to go to work.
It sounds like you've made your choice.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Adulting 101.....As an adult, everything isn’t going to conveniently fit into your schedule as you’d like it. That’s when you have to make hard decisions and adjustments.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
#1 in NE, your work week is 5 days consecutive. Your schedule should be posted a week prior. Start time changes must be 24hr notice? And your start time should not change +/- one hour increments.

Again get familiar with your local supplement and see if you can find any ammo

#1 in NE, your work week is 5 days consecutive. Your schedule should be posted a week prior. Start time changes must be 24hr notice? And your start time should not change +/- one hour increments.

Again get familiar with your local supplement and see if you can find any ammo
There is no schedule posted here where I'm at in PA. It's like you come in for your PCM and they tell you the start time or try to get 2nd half part timers like me to work 1st half. If there was a schedule every week I'd be more inclined to work the hours but when they just drop it on me last minute I cannot change my preexisting obligations.