Abusive supervisors

ihadit

ups-vette, Reread the post; I was certainly not referring to the unloader, but the soon to be ex supervisor. We just had another supv leave today for the same misguided attitude. Wonder who trains them?????????

W

westsideworma

ups-vette, Reread the post; I was certainly not referring to the unloader, but the soon to be ex supervisor. We just had another supv leave today for the same misguided attitude. Wonder who trains them?????????

most don't get trained...other than hub school...which I will be attending soon I guess. I've been here a few years so I guess they're in no rush to send me. I dunno :confused:1

W

wegea

are you the normal sup or the sick sup?

MR, I'm an Ex-Sup. Can't say I was ever much of a ****; most people actually respect you when you're straight and tell it like it is.

I didn't support a lot of the things management did to hourlies, but even further disliked a lot of the things management did to management. So I left. At the same time, I know that a lot of hourlies deserve getting some crap thrown at them, but we're probably talking less than 3%.

----

Woodsy, why am i a ********? And what do you mean by "we know where your comming [sic] from!!!" ? Please elaborate...Thanks.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I know that a lot of hourlies deserve getting some crap thrown at them, but we're probably talking less than 3%.

Really wish you'd register after the post you made. You're alright.

I'm also an ex-UPS'er. My full-timer complained about me sending 'unnecessary flak' at my part-time supe once. I looked the supe in the eye and growled, "I don't do that. I want examples." The full-timer was surprised and backed the h*ll off. I refused to send 'unnecessary flak' my supes' way most of the time. I promised some serious 'flak' if they didn't put leashes on moronic supes a couple times but it never went that far. I abhor 'unnecessary flak' but if it sends a message that was ignored multiple times, I'm all for it. -Rocky

Cole

First, file a grievance under article 37 sec 1 as someone already suggested. If others are having (had) the same problems with the sup, get them to file. If any witnessess saw him corner you like that have them write at statement for you.

Also UPS claims to have a zero tolerance policy for work place violence, so put it to the test and file a grievance on that and with the NLRB. Any others with problems with this sup can file right along with you, and the company will cut their losses, as they have tried to have hourlies fired just for cussing claiming it is wortk place violence.

Stand your ground and make the union do their jobs, as well as the labor board etc...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
First, file a grievance under article 37 sec 1 as someone already suggested. If others are having (had) the same problems with the sup, get them to file. If any witnessess saw him corner you like that have them write at statement for you.

Also UPS claims to have a zero tolerance policy for work place violence, so put it to the test and file a grievance on that and with the NLRB. Any others with problems with this sup can file right along with you, and the company will cut their losses, as they have tried to have hourlies fired just for cussing claiming it is wortk place violence.

Stand your ground and make the union do their jobs, as well as the labor board etc...
you could also go civil and get an injunction against harrassment in the workplace I did

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

you could also go civil and get an injunction against harrassment in the workplace I did
also go to ask.com and search "vicarious employer" it'll take you to eeoc. Read it, very very interesting reading.

tieguy

Banned
This is really a basic relationship type question. You need to confront the sup and tell him you will no longer accept this type of behavior from him. Then when he crosses the line you take it up with his boss immediately. File the grievance etc. call the 1800 number, whatever you feel does the trick. But until you look the man or woman in the eye and tell him you will not accept that type of treatment you will not have any peace. Don't get in a shouting match with that person, don't embarass him or her in public. Pull them to the side and tell them how you feel. Its more then just getting revenge for mistreatment. Its about demanding respect and accepting nothing less, Its letting others know you will not allow this type of treatment. If you already had this mindset then you would not be here asking for help.

Fnix

This is really a basic relationship type question. You need to confront the sup and tell him you will no longer accept this type of behavior from him. Then when he crosses the line you take it up with his boss immediately. File the grievance etc. call the 1800 number, whatever you feel does the trick. But until you look the man or woman in the eye and tell him you will not accept that type of treatment you will not have any peace. Don't get in a shouting match with that person, don't embarass him or her in public. Pull them to the side and tell them how you feel. Its more then just getting revenge for mistreatment. Its about demanding respect and accepting nothing less, Its letting others know you will not allow this type of treatment. If you already had this mindset then you would not be here asking for help.

I heard about that tactic at the Managers Meeting

LKLND3380

I could probably go looking through the forum, but I want my own thread.

Does anybody have any advice for dealing with emotionally abusive supervisors? It's an issue I've had all year and it's starting to get really bad. I've usually ignore crap from my current supervisor because he flips out on everyone when he becomes emotional about something. Lately, I've started to think he is getting sick pleasure out of hurting people on personal level. Are there particular kinds of grievances for this?

You might wonder what he's been doing. Lately, he's been singling me out during PCMs to make me look bad in front of everyone (I think he's cooked the books on my unload PPH or something). Today, he trapped me in a trailer with him and aggressively confronted me about my work while I unloaded. He was threating that he could make my job a living hell and suggested he's always done that (which I've suspected because I always get **** on by him). I was calm and passive the whole time because I think he was trying to make me mad. He was probably trying to find a reason to make me flip out so he could write me up or something. I've never given him anything other then respect and a hard days work. Nothing is ever good for him I guess. :sad:

It really makes me depressed because I've given UPS my blood, sweat and tears to this company. It doesn't seem like it means jack **** to anybody though... It really makes me want to quit, but I don't want to do that seeing as he doesn't want me around. :wink:

Tell the supe you have nothing to say and that you request a Union Steward be present if he wishes to continue...

As far as PPH... HONEST DAYS WORK FOR A HONSEST DAYS PAY... NO MORE NO LESS... Work to the best of YOUR ABILITY, FOLLOW METHODS, WORK SAFE...

PPH means NOTHING... UPS can not fire you for PPH...

Hangingon

They can discipline you for not making 9.5 when told to do so. We have received warning letters and have started suspensions on drivers not making 9.5. The argument is it is an Article 21 case, and we are not following instructions. SPHOR is no longer in the conversation, only over 8; under 9.5. We lost our last two shop stewards due to injuries so I guess local mgm't has a free hand at the moment.

W

westsideworma

They can discipline you for not making 9.5 when told to do so. We have received warning letters and have started suspensions on drivers not making 9.5. The argument is it is an Article 21 case, and we are not following instructions. SPHOR is no longer in the conversation, only over 8; under 9.5. We lost our last two shop stewards due to injuries so I guess local mgm't has a free hand at the moment.

that shouldn't hold up though. Whats to stop them from putting 250+ stops and telling you to be done under 9.5? Thats ludicrous and in most if not all cases is impossible. I guarantee you most people imposing such demands can't meet them themselves, its just to make the numbers look good. Things like this really irk me about some members of management. I never demand things of people that defy all logic and rationality. I ask them but never demand haha jk. Bottomline, I can't hold people to standards I know I can't meet myself when loading and I was pretty damn good, one of the best in our building (according to many drivers I loaded for). Did I have misloads sometimes? yup. Did I take a beating for them occasionally? sure did, did it bother me? not in the least because I knew they couldn't do it any better. I'm not saying it didn't bother me that I misloaded as it surely did, but not because management was upset, just personal standards for myself.