Accepting a signed delivery notice for a signature required package.....

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I never accept a signed delivery notice unless specifically instructed by the DIAD.
No exceptions!!!

I have asked dozens of oncar supe's, LPer's and center manager's when it is OK to accept a signed delivery notice and have never gotten the same answer twice, or the first answer in writing.
Until then, enough said.

DougHeffernan

signature required means in my presence. This is why I write "VOID" on the signature section on the back of the delivery notice. Every time.

I need to start using this method because no matter how clearly you mark Box b and circle in person they still sign and leave on door.

S

serenity now

You can not use the SDN softkey if the shipper request a sig on delivery it won't let u.

that's correct * so drivers that do this must be writing something on the sig. pad in order to stop complete * what are they writing: their own name, customer's name, some scribble, some remark ?????

S

serenity now

signature required means in my presence. This is why I write "VOID" on the signature section on the back of the delivery notice. Every time.

I need to start using this method because no matter how clearly you mark Box b and circle in person they still sign and leave on door.

on the flip side, when i do want a SDN completed for a normal pkg. (not sig. required ) i will right the word over on the edge of the blue My Choice stripe and circle it * then on the back side put a x beside signature and print name * works pretty well

barnyard

KTM rider
Customers who don't get their sig req'd packages due to not being home can bitch and moan all they want, but their problem is with the shipper who demanded the signature, not with UPS.

A bunch of years ago, I misdelivered to a house, I went back the next day to get the package and they said, "There was nothing left here." I could tell they were lying, so whatever, my mistake.

2ish weeks later, the same address had a NDA, over 21 sig required. NI at 10a, No Adult at 1530ish (same day.) The next day, the kid had a note from their parents and I still would not leave it. (it was a resi that required I broke trace to deliver NDA, but was in that neighborhood in the afternoon, so I attempted it 2x until I got a signature) The next day (day 3), the consignee was there at 1530ish screaming about me not leaving their mortgage check with their children.

I said, "2 weeks ago, I left a package here and came back the next day to get it. You said it was never left here. There is a thief in this house and there is no way that I am going to do anything except follow the very specific instructions that the shipper gave. Following your note, I could have been disciplined or fired. I am not taking that chance for anyone here."

Sweet, sweet payback.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
A bunch of years ago, I misdelivered to a house, I went back the next day to get the package and they said, "There was nothing left here." I could tell they were lying, so whatever, my mistake.

2ish weeks later, the same address had a NDA, over 21 sig required. NI at 10a, No Adult at 1530ish (same day.) The next day, the kid had a note from their parents and I still would not leave it. (it was a resi that required I broke trace to deliver NDA, but was in that neighborhood in the afternoon, so I attempted it 2x until I got a signature) The next day (day 3), the consignee was there at 1530ish screaming about me not leaving their mortgage check with their children.

I said, "2 weeks ago, I left a package here and came back the next day to get it. You said it was never left here. There is a thief in this house and there is no way that I am going to do anything except follow the very specific instructions that the shipper gave. Following your note, I could have been disciplined or fired. I am not taking that chance for anyone here."

Sweet, sweet payback.
For a thief, I would never have attempted a 2nd try in the same day. Would have made the one attempt before commit time and left it at that.

Big Babooba

So you are saying if the consignee signs the del. notice you wont leave the package and hit SDN? Maybe I am missing something but that is done in my center all the time. You take the signed del. notice with you and turn it in with your log.
Why would anybody stick their neck out for a package? By law, some require a signature at delivery. If you leave a handgun on a porch because Joe Schmuckatelli signed the delivery notice and it disappears, whose ass will be in the sling? Not your boss's and not Joe's. They did not break the chain of possession.

Last edited:

porkwagon

on the flip side, when i do want a SDN completed for a normal pkg. (not sig. required ) i will right the word over on the edge of the blue My Choice stripe and circle it * then on the back side put a x beside signature and print name * works pretty well
I used to write all that stuff too, but decided that is too many extra steps. If the customer signs the back of the info notice, I just leave another notice until they are there to sign, or 3 attempts have been made.

DougHeffernan

Why would anybody stick their neck out for a package? By law, some require a signature at delivery. If you leave a handgun on a porch because Joe Schmuckatelli signed the delivery notice and it disappears, whose ass will be in the sling? Not your boss's and not Joe's. They did not break the chain of possession.

I've been delivering a lot of ammunition lately and I've made a conscious decision that I will not driver release these packages. Oms keeps messaging that so and so called and complained I didn't dr packages. And proceeded to tell me I have to dr. I texted back that's its called DRIVER Release not OMS, UPS or SUPERVISOR Release. Waiting on failure to follow instruction letter but it hasn't come yet..

65Goat

Sweet, sweet payback.

I had a similar instance where I got a signature from a consignee at an apartment in a four-plex. A couple weeks later I get a DFU on the package. I go by and a woman answers the door and denies anyone lives there with the name that was very clearly signed. I asked her how long she has lived there and she says "about a year". I tell her that someone in her apartment answered the door and signed that name for the package. She still denied. The LP guy was ripping me about the situation and I told him that sometimes we just encounter thieves. Plain and simple! I have delivered the same route for years and I was no doubt at the right apartment. If she ever gets another package I'm gonna require a Driver's License and I will type in the DLN in remarks. I may also take a picture of her signing the diad. There's nothing I hate more than a thief.

barnyard

KTM rider
Plus, you never know when you could be part of a hidden camera sting. Every couple of years, 1 of the local news stations orders wine and shows who will let people under 21 sign for it. The USPS is the worst. We (UPS) are only marginally better. FE usually does it right.

S

serenity now

I used to write all that stuff too, but decided that is too many extra steps. If the customer signs the back of the info notice, I just leave another notice until they are there to sign, or 3 attempts have been made.

sometimes you have to lead them to it

S

serenity now

i would like for one driver to come forth and admit he does this so i can know what he writes on the sig. pad

barnyard

KTM rider
i would like for one driver to come forth and admit he does this so i can know what he writes on the sig. pad

I did it 1 time the 1st year I was a driver. I called the center and my supe said to print the customer name and add SOP at the end (signed on paper). Which is how you would do it if you diad broke and you were filling out a paper delivery record. The customer had left the note, left his house unlocked and asked that I lock it when I left. I called my boss and did what he instructed.

I believe that my boss knew the customer either that or he did not want a 12 piece Dell order back in the P500 the next day.