Accepting a text message as a call out

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
This is a recurring situation at my center, employees text supervisors claiming not being able to get through on the building phone. Should this be an acceptable form of calling out since there is no technical receipt of such text messages?

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
This practice has even been endorsed by the local business agent using ODS messages as the standing point, stating "an ODS message is an acceptable form of company communication, so why can't a SMS text be as well" discipline has even been overturned based on this argument.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
An ODS message is from one piece of UPS owned equipment to another piece of UPS owned equipment. A call in via text circumvents anything and everything that has to do with UPS. The business agent is a fool, too, if he thinks this is how things should be done. UPS doesn't pay my cell phone bill, so I'll be damned if it will become a call-in device. This may have somehow worked in the situation you described, but it will never, ever fly as a company endorsed procedure.

My FT Sup take call-ins all the time via text, it really sucks when he is on vacation and we don't get any of the call ins because he isn't awake yet (preload). I tell anyone to call the office number whenever they ask.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
If you text in and get a response is it still disputed?

Most text messages are never responded to, this does not deter the employee from missing the day. When no call/no show discipline is brought up, out comes a cell phone with "sent text" on standby and poof warning letter absolved. This practice has become frustrating for me as a Preload Supervisor due to the sensitivity of staffing at 0400.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I would never do this but I don't see the problem as long as there is an acknowledgment reply from the sup.

A simple I can't make it in today with no response back should not cut it.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
I would never do this but I don't see the problem as long as there is an acknowledgment reply from the sup.

A simple I can't make it in today with no response back should not cut it.

My major pet peeve with this is accountability, it becomes a he said she said situation. It also opens doors for other problems (ex. alleged harassment) via text message.

packageguy

This is a recurring situation at my center, employees text supervisors claiming not being able to get through on the building phone. Should this be an acceptable form of calling out since there is no technical receipt of such text messages?

no way, no text... ​must make the call......

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
All that is required in our supplement is that the employee "notify" the Company. Carrier pigeon would suffice.

I think the BA has an excellent argument with the ODS because that is an SMS message using the exact same technology as cell phone text messaging. That said, I think UPS & employees should evolve to embrace other forms of communication wherever possble, and text messaging is ubiquitous today. I would say "by mutual agreement" should be the standard, and if Management doesn't want to embrace text messaging they shouldn't accept or use it themselves anywhere in the Company including ODS. I think it would be reasonable to ask that employees texting in sick should text multiple sources as the person you are texting might not be working that day. The idea is to not burden either party. I called in sick on a day I knew I was going to be having a safety ride (not to avoid the ride) and as a courtesy texted the supervisor so that he would not make the journey into work since I knew he didn't have to on that day. He was appreciative and a little courtesy goes a long way. He often texts me about simple issues we can resolve without going into the office and I do the same.

If the OP Is having attendance issues with a particular employee that could easily be resolved through the disciplinary process. Perhaps "grilling" by whomever the employee is calling in to is causing the switch to text. Perhaps that person doesn't answer in order to avoid having people call in (had that happen before, so ended up calling the 800 number which didn't dispatch a message until hours later). Calling is essentially he said/she said anyway so it's hard to argue that there is more of a "receipt" with a call than a text. I could show you my cell phone with me calling that number, but there is no proof of actual connection and none if using a home phone.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
All that is required in our supplement is that the employee "notify" the Company. Carrier pigeon would suffice.

I think the BA has an excellent argument with the ODS because that is an SMS message using the exact same technology as cell phone text messaging. That said, I think UPS & employees should evolve to embrace other forms of communication wherever possble, and text messaging is ubiquitous today. I would say "by mutual agreement" should be the standard, and if Management doesn't want to embrace text messaging they shouldn't accept or use it themselves anywhere in the Company including ODS. I think it would be reasonable to ask that employees texting in sick should text multiple sources as the person you are texting might not be working that day. The idea is to not burden either party. I called in sick on a day I knew I was going to be having a safety ride (not to avoid the ride) and as a courtesy texted the supervisor so that he would not make the journey into work since I knew he didn't have to on that day. He was appreciative and a little courtesy goes a long way. He often texts me about simple issues we can resolve without going into the office and I do the same.

If the OP Is having attendance issues with a particular employee that could easily be resolved through the disciplinary process. Perhaps "grilling" by whomever the employee is calling in to is causing the switch to text. Perhaps that person doesn't answer in order to avoid having people call in (had that happen before, so ended up calling the 800 number which didn't dispatch a message until hours later). Calling is essentially he said/she said anyway so it's hard to argue that there is more of a "receipt" with a call than a text. I could show you my cell phone with me calling that number, but there is no proof of actual connection and none if using a home phone.

If this practice was mutually agreed upon I would comply without hesitation but in its current state it is flawed. I would be fine with a text the night before if something pops up and an employee needs the day short notice but if there's an emergency or you are calling out sick for a Preload sort I don't think a text message indicates any sense of urgency or an emergent situation.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
no way, no text... ​must make the call......

No way should a text be acceptable.

You are an adult.

Pick up the GD phone and call.

Next it will be twitter message.

I have seen Facebook used as evidence in a dishonesty termination, well it was a valiant effort, it boiled down to "my account was hacked and I in no way posted those pictures, I haven't been to that beach in years" great stuff I tell ya.

Brownslave688

actually a better question is why do they have the sups number?

Full timers I can understand why they have sups numbers and such. Many are not at the building throughout the day.

Part timers. I have no clue why sups and hourlies would need each other numbers.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My major pet peeve with this is accountability, it becomes a he said she said situation. It also opens doors for other problems (ex. alleged harassment) via text message.

It certainly does open................

(wait for it!)

..........a can of worms!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Well, conversely, if the center was hit with a power outage or unforeseen disaster, a blanket text could be broadcast to all with delayed start time. Prove the message was not received and try to get paid because you reported...

Brownslave688

Well, conversely, if the center was hit with a power outage or unforeseen disaster, a blanket text could be broadcast to all with delayed start time. Prove the message was not received and try to get paid because you reported...

Unless said start time change was 24 hours before posted start time they are outta luck. :p

Gazelle

Race me!
actually a better question is why do they have the sups number?

Full timers I can understand why they have sups numbers and such. Many are not at the building throughout the day.

Part timers. I have no clue why sups and hourlies would need each other numbers.

I have all of my employees numbers. Too many of my employees numbers in GTS are old or shut off. I keep all current numbers in my phone so if they are not in their work area at their start time I can get a hold of them immediately. I'd rather wake them up than get stuck short handed and pulling a cage.