Accepting a text message as a call out

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
We had almost a whole week recently where our phone system was down in Feeders, not sure if that was building wide or not. They gave us a cell phone number to use, and I assume those drivers who habitually did not use their cell phone either walked up to the Feeder office or just used the FDT to send text messages. Most just rolled with it and used our cell phones, no reason to make things more difficult for anyone. Our system is still messed up, as many times it routes me to a different extension with someones voicemail instead of to Dispatch.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Text message call out = progressive discipline (all parties agree in my area)

One full time driver opening thanks to text messages.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
The 'getting with the times' ensinuation is a cop-out. Text messaging someone's personal (read: not UPS provided) cell phone is not a call in procedure approved by anyone. In fact, it's not a call at all. It's a text. Without an immediate response. It's pathetic to think of it as a valid way to call-in sick.

Trying to worm in some sort of justification on why it should be OK is only magnifying the fact that it should never be considered. There are too many potential problems and BS that is bound to arise from it. There's enough crap going on that we need to deal with. We don't need this horrible idea thrown on top of it. It's just bad news all around.

Sure, there are going to be EXTREMELY RARE times where an exception may have to be made...but again, this won't ever be a commonly accepted practice, and for good reason. You cannot compare this to an ODS message. That's like me saying I'm going to use your personal bank account to fill up the gas in my UPS package car (a bank account is a bank account, riiiiiight? Riiiiight?). The ODS messages are the safest way to communicate, it's company approved (obviously), and it's from one piece of UPS equipment to another piece of UPS equipment. I have no idea how this horrible comparison is dissolving a warning letter. Seems fishy to me.

Put your friggin grown up pants on and call someone. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a couple of routes that are cut on a regular basis. One of the affected drivers will send the PDS a text asking whether her run is on or not and he will respond accordingly. She is often asked to call back a bit later to make sure she is not needed.

I like aj's post regarding sending out a broadcast text to all of the employee's on a shift advising them of a delay in the start time due to operational emergencies (power outage). I know I would prefer to sit at home and wait rather than sit in the parking lot.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We have a couple of routes that are cut on a regular basis. One of the affected drivers will send the PDS a text asking whether her run is on or not and he will respond accordingly. She is often asked to call back a bit later to make sure she is not needed.

I like aj's post regarding sending out a broadcast text to all of the employee's on a shift advising them of a delay in the start time due to operational emergencies (power outage). I know I would prefer to sit at home and wait rather than sit in the parking lot.
I would prefer to sit in the parking lot earning $32 an hour.
I frequently get a call from my management team asking me to start later because the air is late. Always politely decline and head to my satellite center on time and wash windows and mirrors and sweep out the package car.

over9five

Staff member
I would prefer to sit in the parking lot earning $32 an hour.
I frequently get a call from my management team asking me to start later because the air is late. Always politely decline and head to my satellite center on time and wash windows and mirrors and sweep out the package car.
Only a fool would turn down that money!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
The 'getting with the times' ensinuation is a cop-out. Text messaging someone's personal (read: not UPS provided) cell phone is not a call in procedure approved by anyone. In fact, it's not a call at all. It's a text. Without an immediate response. It's pathetic to think of it as a valid way to call-in sick.

Trying to worm in some sort of justification on why it should be OK is only magnifying the fact that it should never be considered. There are too many potential problems and BS that is bound to arise from it. There's enough crap going on that we need to deal with. We don't need this horrible idea thrown on top of it. It's just bad news all around.

Sure, there are going to be EXTREMELY RARE times where an exception may have to be made...but again, this won't ever be a commonly accepted practice, and for good reason. You cannot compare this to an ODS message. That's like me saying I'm going to use your personal bank account to fill up the gas in my UPS package car (a bank account is a bank account, riiiiiight? Riiiiight?). The ODS messages are the safest way to communicate, it's company approved (obviously), and it's from one piece of UPS equipment to another piece of UPS equipment. I have no idea how this horrible comparison is dissolving a warning letter. Seems fishy to me.

Put your friggin grown up pants on and call someone. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

I'll have to remember your analogy the next time I purchase a headlight or air hose with my own money from a truckstop instead of waiting for a 4 hour road call. Thanks!

stink219

Text message call out = progressive discipline (all parties agree in my area)

One full time driver opening thanks to text messages.
Hahaha. I wish I worked for you. I think your full of it to be honest. Either that or the BA rolled over for you.

stink219

So, I heard a lot of "opinion" on wether texting is an acceptable form of communication in regard to call out. But I never heard anyone address the OP in where the calls were being ignored. If there is a situation in place where you can't get through and texting isn't acceptable, what are other options? Ya know, just incase "The Dragon" is gonna get ya!! Lmfao!!!!!!! Sorry dragon, hahahaha, wait in all seriousness hahahahahahaha!!!!! I can't stop!! Hahaha...........

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Its "our" contract..I just follow it.

Progresive discipline, proven system, just ask drivers in my center.

KBlakk

Overworked & Underpaid
So, I heard a lot of "opinion" on wether texting is an acceptable form of communication in regard to call out. But I never heard anyone address the OP in where the calls were being ignored. If there is a situation in place where you can't get through and texting isn't acceptable, what are other options? Ya know, just incase "The Dragon" is gonna get ya!! Lmfao!!!!!!! Sorry dragon, hahahaha, wait in all seriousness hahahahahahaha!!!!! I can't stop!! Hahaha...........

I am in the building some days as early as 0200 (non peak) and some days and I do answer the phones personally until the PT PDS arrives around 0315 where she takes over that department. I'm not saying that a call may not slip through the cracks but an employee can make a 2nd attempt or even better call the same phone that they would be sending the text message to..My main reasoning as stated earlier is the sensitivity of staffing at 0400 following the contract becomes very difficult when no union employee wants to answer the phone at 0400

Dragon

Package Center Manager
What center might that be? I've never lost a guy that wasn't a cardinal sin.

Stink I just want to clarify something with you. I am not trying to make it sound like I go around firing employees all day long and I have nothing better to do.

Yes I have fired people for non cardinal sins and made it stick at the panel. Its called over all work record. When I take you to the panel, you have been talked too, worked with, trained, asked, begged and pleaded to do something to correct your behavior (I involve the shop stewards and BA) and I have documented it all. Its not a fast process but it does work, thats why I can speak to the success of progressive discipline.

Just as in any other business people make mistakes while working and like other jobs 99.9% of the time employees will tell you when they have made a mistake, how they made the mistake and yes they know the correct way to do it and will make sure it does not happen again. Problem solved, move on no discipline ever needed, happens daily everywhere.

There are 100's of managers that do the same thing everyday, you just do not know of them because they are not on Browncafe.

Dragon

tarbar66

Stink I just want to clarify something with you. I am not trying to make it sound like I go around firing employees all day long and I have nothing better to do.

Yes I have fired people for non cardinal sins and made it stick at the panel. Its called over all work record. When I take you to the panel, you have been talked too, worked with, trained, asked, begged and pleaded to do something to correct your behavior (I involve the shop stewards and BA) and I have documented it all. Its not a fast process but it does work, thats why I can speak to the success of progressive discipline.

Just as in any other business people make mistakes while working and like other jobs 99.9% of the time employees will tell you when they have made a mistake, how they made the mistake and yes they know the correct way to do it and will make sure it does not happen again. Problem solved, move on no discipline ever needed, happens daily everywhere.

There are 100's of managers that do the same thing everyday, you just do not know of them because they are not on Browncafe.

Dragon
I agree with your methods and thinking.
The only problem is what happens after you are gone?

Asskicker

Getting back to the text message thing...There has to be another option because the UPS way is to not answer the phone at 2am. And now that staffing has been cut so thin I'm sure they aren't paying someone to man the phones on the preload. You can't call in if you try to do it right. The hourlys have to have some proof that they are trying to call because there is a progressive way to fire someone and these incidences can be used against them. I love it when I'm sick and have to stay up for three hours trying to call work to tell them I'm sick and need to sleep. It's cruel and unusual punishment.

beentheredonethat

Most operations I've been to have an answering machine for just such issues, it is for one line only that employees call into. If the supv or mgr is there they answer it, if they don't then it goes to vmail.

Asskicker

Yeah ..voicemail. What a fascinating idea. Again the hub I work in proves itself to be archaic. We would call 3 numbers on the back of our id. The last of which was feeder who said we had to call our office. Games...aggravating, immature, sooooo unprofessional...games.

stink219

What center might that be? I've never lost a guy that wasn't a cardinal sin.

Dragon
I do not know of them because I've never had a non cardinal go to panel in my 18 years with this company. Do you have case #'s? Matter of fact, I can name way more sups and managers fired than any of our hourlies. Maybe we are just a little more forceful here on the east coast?