Access Point Nightmares - Please help with information!

barnyard

KTM rider
A sad tale of a customer not getting what they are paying for. Within the next 10 days, we will have a PCM about how great the access points are and how much customers love them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a delivery yesterday for an apt complex where I couldn’t get past the locked main entry door. Was prompted to AP it—typed “will retry” for the reason not to and was able to get rid of it later that day.

Ghost in the Darkness

Early on with access point deliveries I would choose no access point on places I knew they wouldn't want their stuff sent to a different location. One stop was an electronic signature that was taken out of the diad so the stop had to be sent to the access point. I was told in the following days that I "chose wrong". When I saw these customers I told them I did what I could to get around it and eventually after the hassle of calling and getting the ap option removed from their stop they got their stuff at their residence again.
But like every bad idea at UPS that won't die, a couple weeks later access point shows back up for these customers again. I really don't know if this idea was planned out so poorly or if the company is intentionally trying to lose customers and further sour its reputation in service. Maybe less is better.

Future

Victory Ride
I had a delivery yesterday for an apt complex where I couldn’t get past the locked main entry door. Was prompted to AP it—typed “will retry” for the reason not to and was able to get rid of it later that day.
I will do that with NDA.... if I go back 2 the same neighborhood later in the day

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
As always, a good idea that got abused.

The one attempt/access point logic is only about cutting routes, not about servicing the customer.
I think everybody would be fine with 3 attempts/access point, since AP's are "usually" closer than Customer Counters.
I think they were trying to push My Choice and Electronic Signatures so we could get rid of deliveries on 1st attempt.
I can't recall any advertising for My Choice lately since they rolled it out last year.

The only advice I could give to the OP is require signatures on delivery, but of course UPS will make more money on that too.