Access Point Nightmares - Please help with information!

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I thought if a shipper agreed to allow us to redirect to Access point they received a discount? You might be right
They may, but if they don't, the shipper has the option to require a delivery at the address on the package only. The OP doesn’t want to pay for that option . He wants it done for free while UPS eats the cost of the 2nd and 3rd delivery

Rack em

Made the Podium
They may, but if they don't, the shipper has the option to require a delivery at the address on the package only. The OP doesn’t want to pay for that option . He wants it done for free while UPS eats the cost of the 2nd and 3rd delivery
Wasn't that part of Ups's business model from the beginning? I know Ups loses money after the 2nd attempt, but we should still have some customer service in mind. Access point after 1 attempt is just dumb. They only packages that should be sent to an access point after 1 attempt are high risk addresses. Everything else should at least get a second attempt before being sent to some random store.

Dr.Brownz

As long as you don't void out the first attempt and then resheet the package, that will cause it to show up late. But scanning the package again and just hitting duplicate won't cause them to show up late.

Yep they told me to do that once and it doesn't work, so the next instruction I got was to not make a second attempt. Work as directed

gman042

Been around the block a few times
We have an AP that has a 10 mile radius. That includes some very rural type settings. People out in the country don't want to drive into town to get their packages. They want them on their doorstep. AP is a disservice to the end customer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have an AP that has a 10 mile radius. That includes some very rural type settings. People out in the country don't want to drive into town to get their packages. They want them on their doorstep. AP is a disservice to the end customer.

....and for the most part they will be sitting there when they get home from work....

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Wasn't that part of Ups's business model from the beginning? I know Ups loses money after the 2nd attempt, but we should still have some customer service in mind. Access point after 1 attempt is just dumb. They only packages that should be sent to an access point after 1 attempt are high risk addresses. Everything else should at least get a second attempt before being sent to some random store.
Our customers are the shippers, they want the most cost efficient shipping possible from UPS. If this is how UPS can keep their prices down then the customer is happy.
Will you have the few who don't like this business model? Yes. Is it completely fair to the person who is receiving the package no, but if they don't want to go to an access point they can request a redelivery to their address, and the shipper can pay for direct delivery also

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I have not sent one package to access point yet. I have had the prompt come up about 10 times and I overide it. We are a service company and part of the service is to del the packages to the recipient at the address on the box. The only exception I will make on that is, if it is a no dr, but I have not run into that yet

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They don't give us a choice in the matter.
There is Access Point on parts of my route now, but if I know for certain that the customer doesn't want it then I dont do it. Most of my stops are rural DR so I only have a couple Access Point stops per week anyway.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As I said above, access points were designed for urban areas where we can't just leave stuff by the front door.

The system designates which packages can or cannot be diverted to an Access Point, which, BTW, are vetted before signing a contract.
The Access Point for my rural route is a 20 mile round trip for some addresses. Hardly urban.

Indecisi0n

I have not sent one package to access point yet. I have had the prompt come up about 10 times and I overide it. We are a service company and part of the service is to del the packages to the recipient at the address on the box. The only exception I will make on that is, if it is a no dr, but I have not run into that yet
The next exception will be yougetting a warning letter.