Access Points

Fragile

It's a change of operations as far as any union is concerned. UPS is rerouting packages for the customers without their knowledge to defer work from drivers and clerks. The UPS store was different because if a customer wanted to ship their package to the store they had to make the store address the delivery address.
Here they are doing center at a time.

For UPS I'm somewhat disappointed that they're doing this as a brand. It completely takes away from the brand. Your access point (bodega, laundromat, etc) is now the face of the company. 3/4 of my customers do not want their packages sent to a access point. Their feelings are pretty strong since most agreed to pay for an attempt at their house and three attempts. With the access point we are pretty much dropping our service to that of the post office, single attempt and after that go pick it up.

I thankfully don't have one, but send agains from my route go to four different access points without any rhyme or reason and it's really frustrating my customers. I'm already not sending packages to access points by over riding the diad for all my elderly customers.

I've heard some wild stories about access points though. I hear some access point operators are stealing packages. I also hear that plenty of customers are going down to the access point and threatening the business owners.

The info notice is extremely confusing to customers because the driver has to write down the access point name and location, ie Joe's Deli 2340 Lafayette Ave., so if I have bad handwriting the customer is now going to have a hard time figuring out what happened to their package. Another problem is when info notices fall off or get taken off doors in apartment buildings before the customer is home and the package is being rerouted to a access point. The customer usually has no idea what's going on and won't find out until they track their packages themselves.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I honestly don't think that this ranks up there among the multitude of pressing issues that need addressing, like SurePost and subcontracting.

Anything that can be done to make receiving a package easier for the customer is good for business, and in turn, good the Teamsters.

Wouldn't resisting this program be the equivalent of promoting send agains?
I personally don't worry about send agains and follow the company's prescribed methods when delivering, but I understand why the company institutes measures to reduce them.

Why not give our customers a quicker, closer and easier alternative to receive packages that cannot be released by the driver?
Isn't this just an extension to the will call option?

Dr.Brownz

Wouldn't resisting this program be the equivalent of promoting send agains?

Why not give our customers a quicker, closer and easier alternative to receive packages that cannot be released by the driver?
Isn't this just an extension to the will call option?

Who cares

See answer to third Q

The people at access points are not teamsters

worldwide

For UPS I'm somewhat disappointed that they're doing this as a brand. It completely takes away from the brand. Your access point (bodega, laundromat, etc) is now the face of the company. 3/4 of my customers do not want their packages sent to a access point. Their feelings are pretty strong since most agreed to pay for an attempt at their house and three attempts. With the access point we are pretty much dropping our service to that of the post office, single attempt and after that go pick it up.

I thankfully don't have one, but send agains from my route go to four different access points without any rhyme or reason and it's really frustrating my customers. I'm already not sending packages to access points by over riding the diad for all my elderly customers.

I've heard some wild stories about access points though. I hear some access point operators are stealing packages. I also hear that plenty of customers are going down to the access point and threatening the business owners.

The info notice is extremely confusing to customers because the driver has to write down the access point name and location, ie Joe's Deli 2340 Lafayette Ave., so if I have bad handwriting the customer is now going to have a hard time figuring out what happened to their package. Another problem is when info notices fall off or get taken off doors in apartment buildings before the customer is home and the package is being rerouted to a access point. The customer usually has no idea what's going on and won't find out until they track their packages themselves.

Interesting comments.

75% of your customers don't want their pkgs sent to Access Points? How many total customers do you have?

There are several 3rd party industry white papers posted that indicate just the opposite of what you have posted. Customers want MORE options regarding their deliveries. It's no coincidence that UPS MyChoice has more than 11 million people signed up and the service is only about two years old. Customers want choices and UPS has introduced those choices and the market has accepted them.

Not sure what would be gained by the owner of an Access Point stealing packages since they sign an agreement with UPS taking responsibility for the packages. Once they sign accepting delivery, they are responsible for its safe keeping. If it goes missing, they are on the hook for it.

"Plenty" of customers threatening AP owners? How many is "plenty" across the world with the more than? There are more than 20,000 AP locations in the world and they have been in place for 10+ years in Europe (under the Kiala name) and have worked just fine.

Regarding Infonotice - customer can simply go online or call UPS to get name and address of where the package was left. If the Infonotice falls off or is take off the door then the customer will not know about the shipment, regardless of if its an AP package or not. Of course, if the receiver is a MyChoice customer, they already know about the package.

The bottom line is that every shipper wants their customer to get their product on the first delivery attempt and every customer wants their package on the first delivery attempt. Access Point addresses that need.

Do you have a recommendation that improves the current process for the shipper & receiver?

worldwide

If you order something that needs an autograph either be home or have it sent to where you work.

That does not improve the current process, that IS the current process.

Customers want more than two choices and MyChoice and Access Points address those needs.

It's funny how many of the same people that complain that UPS is a "dumb" corporation and slow to change will also complain when UPS introduces new things like MyChoice and Access Points.

Can't have it both ways so why not give the customers what they want, especially when they are willing to pay extra for some value-added services?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Wouldn't using My Choice to electronically sign for the package so it can be released when you're not home make more sense than redirecting it to an access point?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Wouldn't using My Choice to electronically sign for the package so it can be released when you're not home make more sense than redirecting it to an access point?
Can't you already do that? I believe there is a way to authorize release and waive UPS of responsibility.