Accident horror stories

Brownsfan

Not accidents you were involved in but ones where you were the first on the scene.
Today I was driving down a 2 lane country road, when I saw some smoke pretty close to the road. I immediately said to myself please let that be a burn pile.
As I got closer I very quickly realized that it was a car flipped over on its roof. The flames were coming out of the gas tank region.
I wanted nothing more than for what I was seeing to not be real. Sadly it wasn't.
I pulled over quickly and dialed 911 as I was the first one on the scene. I got out of the truck grabbed the fire extinguisher and ran for the car.
When I got to the car the person who t boned the other driver was trying to yank the unconscious driver he hit out if the burning car. He's yelling at me to help.
I told him there's nothing we could do to get him out and turned my attention to the fire. I had just enough retardant to out the fire out.
After that I noticed the Man wasn't moving at all and his legs completely pinned in the vehicle. I think he was dead. I have never seen a dead person not in a casket before.
Well about 10 mins later the fire started back up but was put out out by a farmer quickly.
So the guy that's alive is jrightfully freaked out and we're all just waiting for the emergency personal.
They pull up on scene, do a vitals check, and slowly get the jaws of life. I talk with the chp and he says I'm good to go.
As I'm driving away the guy who hit the other guy yells out really loud thank you for your help.
That was the sadest craziest moment I have ever had at ups, and completely avoidable had someone just cleared the damn intersection.
Also I called dispatch to ask them what I should do as the chp hadn't arrived yet. She told me I should leave cause I had a job to do. What? Heartless!

Any other drivers have any stories? Moments like these are very traumatic, I know I am not alone.

Sparkey86

April 9,1996. I rolled up on a tree trimming service at entrance to apts I was trying to get into. Had to wait a bit to get around when I noticed men working in front of the wood chipper machine with their backs to the boom truck behind them. The boom trucks wheels were chocked but turned at a steep angle. The constant strain on the trucks chassis as the boomed truck worked was too much for the chocks and the truck rolled off. I was watching g this happen and it was like a horror movie. It rolled away headed for the 2 men in front of chipper machine. It was a sickening feeling to watch and even recount now. By the grace of God 1 man saw what was happening somehow over the loud noise of chipper and jumped free the other not so lucky. The truck struck him and pinned h under the front wheels. Ye began screaming uncontrollably. Nobody was doing anything I was still strapped into my p800. I decided to get him out of there even if it killed me too. I jumped to him and ask what he wanted me to do. He said "Get this friend&ing
Truck off me! I jumped in the cab and said a quick prayer that reverse was in the same spot as my P800 clutch to the floor, rammed it in reverse, I hoped, and slowly let of clutch to notice the truck rolling backwards off the pinned man. I got back far enough to see him sit up and the collapse. He lived, had a broke arm and ribs. He came back to ups some time later to thank the driver that saved him. Robert Orton was his name. That was the one I won't forget.

Not accidents you were involved in but ones where you were the first on the scene.
Today I was driving down a 2 lane country road, when I saw some smoke pretty close to the road. I immediately said to myself please let that be a burn pile.
As I got closer I very quickly realized that it was a car flipped over on its roof. The flames were coming out of the gas tank region.
I wanted nothing more than for what I was seeing to not be real. Sadly it wasn't.
I pulled over quickly and dialed 911 as I was the first one on the scene. I got out of the truck grabbed the fire extinguisher and ran for the car.
When I got to the car the person who t boned the other driver was trying to yank the unconscious driver he hit out if the burning car. He's yelling at me to help.
I told him there's nothing we could do to get him out and turned my attention to the fire. I had just enough retardant to out the fire out.
After that I noticed the Man wasn't moving at all and his legs completely pinned in the vehicle. I think he was dead. I have never seen a dead person not in a casket before.
Well about 10 mins later the fire started back up but was put out out by a farmer quickly.
So the guy that's alive is jrightfully freaked out and we're all just waiting for the emergency personal.
They pull up on scene, do a vitals check, and slowly get the jaws of life. I talk with the chp and he says I'm good to go.
As I'm driving away the guy who hit the other guy yells out really loud thank you for your help.
That was the sadest craziest moment I have ever had at ups, and completely avoidable had someone just cleared the damn intersection.
Also I called dispatch to ask them what I should do as the chp hadn't arrived yet. She told me I should leave cause I had a job to do. What? Heartless!

Any other drivers have any stories? Moments like these are very traumatic, I know I am not alone.
im so sorry that you had to see that. I thought no you are a hero for what you did. God bless your thoughtfulness. You are a good man for what you did.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Saw a package car rolling down the highway with the back door wide open. Dummy failed to use the door chain. Packages were a flyin'!

Brownsfan

April 9,1996. I rolled up on a tree trimming service at entrance to apts I was trying to get into. Had to wait a bit to get around when I noticed men working in front of the wood chipper machine with their backs to the boom truck behind them. The boom trucks wheels were chocked but turned at a steep angle. The constant strain on the trucks chassis as the boomed truck worked was too much for the chocks and the truck rolled off. I was watching g this happen and it was like a horror movie. It rolled away headed for the 2 men in front of chipper machine. It was a sickening feeling to watch and even recount now. By the grace of God 1 man saw what was happening somehow over the loud noise of chipper and jumped free the other not so lucky. The truck struck him and pinned h under the front wheels. Ye began screaming uncontrollably. Nobody was doing anything I was still strapped into my p800. I decided to get him out of there even if it killed me too. I jumped to him and ask what he wanted me to do. He said "Get this friend&ing
Truck off me! I jumped in the cab and said a quick prayer that reverse was in the same spot as my P800 clutch to the floor, rammed it in reverse, I hoped, and slowly let of clutch to notice the truck rolling backwards off the pinned man. I got back far enough to see him sit up and the collapse. He lived, had a broke arm and ribs. He came back to ups some time later to thank the driver that saved him. Robert Orton was his name. That was the one I won't forget.
Omg what a story. I'm so glad to hear that guy made it. It really does suck when life shows up in its unedited form. It's beyond raw.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
The feels on the bus go round and round.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1422715743.801127.jpg

Brownsfan

I saw a 17 year old shot at a bus stop,and a guy run over by a tractor trail or,both still haunt me
It's been about a half a day and it haunting me a bit as well. Every little thing is just so implanted in your brain.
The guys tool belt on the ground. His green xbox controller 20 yards in the field. The guy who hit him covered in blood.
I know all this will fade but for now the movie inside my head plays on.

Brownsfan

im so sorry that you had to see that. I thought no you are a hero for what you did. God bless your thoughtfulness. You are a good man for what you did.
Thanks for saying that. Truthfully everything inside me wanted to just drive by. But you can't do that.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
When I was 17 years old, I was following a friend home from work. Watched him get T-boned by someone that had run a red light. His car immediately burst into flames. I tried to get him out of the car but his seatbelt was jammed because of the crash. Watched him burn to death.
Still haunts me to this day. Since then I have always carried a fire extinguisher and knife in case something like that ever happens again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I had a similar thing happen but I was with a sup and emergency help had arrived already.

Two people flying down gravel roads met at an intersection and no one slowed down. The hard part was the teenage girl laying in the gravel just screaming in pain. Sup said just drive around we got work to do.

Another driver saw a man shoot himself in the head. Says it took him a long time to get over that.

Thanks for saying that. Truthfully everything inside me wanted to just drive by. But you can't do that.
You did something that not everyone is going to do. It displayed great courage. Thinking about someone else in a situation like this is one of those things that people hear about and it makes them feel good. Whoever you are I hope the people in your life appreciate you as someone like I described in this post.

On another note I take it that you are a fan of the Cleveland Browns. If you are I am as well and a Clevelander for life. I hope that you can bring some karma to the table and we can win in the future. Cleveland Browns are said to be some of the best fans in sports and they deserve this. God bless

When I was a brand spankin new driver at the tender age of 24 I happened on three little kids who's dog got loose. They were crying because they left the gate open and they're dog got out. I saw the dog about five house down. I immediately went in a full on run after the dog which isn't the best thing to do in this kind of situation. I chased the dog all the way around the block about 3 quarters of a mile all the way home to the kids back yard. The look on the kids face and their cheers of " the ups man got our dog the ups man got our dog mom" who was standing out there with the kids at this point.

I got back in the truck after this to their thank you's and pretty damn good about it. The best part ( besides getting the dog back and the kids being happy) is that I can share the story to this day as a conversation piece. I can't run anymore but I'd still do the same just in a little wiser way.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When I was a brand spankin new driver at the tender age of 24 I happened on three little kids who's dog got loose. They were crying because they left the gate open and they're dog got out. I saw the dog about five house down. I immediately went in a full on run after the dog which isn't the best thing to do in this kind of situation. I chased the dog all the way around the block about 3 quarters of a mile all the way home to the kids back yard. The look on the kids face and their cheers of " the ups man got our dog the ups man got our dog mom" who was standing out there with the kids at this point.

I got back in the truck after this to their thank you's and pretty damn good about it. The best part ( besides getting the dog back and the kids being happy) is that I can share the story to this day as a conversation piece. I can't run anymore but I'd still do the same just in a little wiser way.
And when the customer called in to compliment you for your way cool action the center manager dragged you into the office to accuse you of stealing time.

llamainmypocket

In the late nineties me and my family were going to use portlands new lite rail for the first time and apparently some kid was jerking around on his bike infront of the slow moving train. The kid hit something and fell onto the tracks and the train got him. I was told not to look out the window but apparently there were multiple blankets covering his scattered remains.

OPTION3

I live on a bad curve in the country......arrived on the scene of new mustang wrapped around a pine tree and burning....pulled 2 drunken teens from front seats....could not extricate 3rd young man from back seat.....could not put out the fire.....horrible

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
A long long time ago I held a job that made responding to these scenes a regular occurance. I have memories I only wish I could forget.

The one that aticks with me the most is the one I didn't get to see. I was 2 weeks on the job out on my own, second on scene to a rollover where a teen age girl wa partially ejected then had her head severed by the windshield when the vehicles roof was crushed as it rolled.

My shift supervisor was first on scene and prevented me from seeing anything instead sending a half mile back up the road to block traffic. Many years and a few dozen fatalities later the gravity of what he did for me still makes me grateful. Unfortunately it was a steak that didn't last.

jbg77

When i was 15 i was riding to a wrestling tournament at around 5am with a teammate. We came around a turn in the pouring rain and saw a van over turned in a yard. Oddly enough it was in a fellow teammates front lawn. We pulled over and i checked on the woman that was trapped under the van. She was unresponsive. We knocked on the house door and they called 911. Pretty sure she was dead but never found out. Continued to the Wrestling tournament.