Accident horror stories

Re-Raise

About 15 years ago I came up on a head on crash on my way home from work.

Tight community where everyone knows everyone.

A pickup truck rolled over in the ditch and the car still in the road with a small engine fire. We took dirt from the ditch and threw it on the block to put out the fire until a guy showed up with a fire extinguisher.

I checked the young man in the car's neck and could feel a very rapid pulse, but no response. I think he was bleeding out internally.

Both drivers were sons of friends of mine. The young man in the car was pronounced dead at the scene. The father of the boy who died asked me if I thought he died instantly because he knew I was the first to the car. I told him I was sure he never felt anything.

porkwagon

Our building is right next to a small airport. I saw a plane crash into some trees outside our yard and burst into flames. Two people died. Later that day I saw a motorcyclist crash his bike. He was killed too.

ManInBrown

Not accidents you were involved in but ones where you were the first on the scene.
Today I was driving down a 2 lane country road, when I saw some smoke pretty close to the road. I immediately said to myself please let that be a burn pile.
As I got closer I very quickly realized that it was a car flipped over on its roof. The flames were coming out of the gas tank region.
I wanted nothing more than for what I was seeing to not be real. Sadly it wasn't.
I pulled over quickly and dialed 911 as I was the first one on the scene. I got out of the truck grabbed the fire extinguisher and ran for the car.
When I got to the car the person who t boned the other driver was trying to yank the unconscious driver he hit out if the burning car. He's yelling at me to help.
I told him there's nothing we could do to get him out and turned my attention to the fire. I had just enough retardant to out the fire out.
After that I noticed the Man wasn't moving at all and his legs completely pinned in the vehicle. I think he was dead. I have never seen a dead person not in a casket before.
Well about 10 mins later the fire started back up but was put out out by a farmer quickly.
So the guy that's alive is jrightfully freaked out and we're all just waiting for the emergency personal.
They pull up on scene, do a vitals check, and slowly get the jaws of life. I talk with the chp and he says I'm good to go.
As I'm driving away the guy who hit the other guy yells out really loud thank you for your help.
That was the sadest craziest moment I have ever had at ups, and completely avoidable had someone just cleared the damn intersection.
Also I called dispatch to ask them what I should do as the chp hadn't arrived yet. She told me I should leave cause I had a job to do. What? Heartless!

Any other drivers have any stories? Moments like these are very traumatic, I know I am not alone.

I've wondered at times how I would react in a situation like this. No one really knows how they would react until put in the situation. I would hope my reaction would be similar to yours.

Thebrownstreak

3 years ago on the way back to the building on a rainy night was traveling down I81 and saw a tractor trailer blow his driver side front tire. When this happened it yanked the truck hard to the left and the guy hit a honda accord....basically drove right over....i slowed down and saw 2 people with massive injuries in the honda. By the luck of the draw there was a cop right behind me and he pulled around and dealt with the accident. He told me to leave the scene since there were two open lanes. Found out that both of the passengers in the car were dead, the truck driver was fine. Sad that things like that can happen in literally a split second.

whenIgetthere

About thirty years ago, I was pulling out of my street in my personal vehicle. I went down about a quarter mile and a couple of girls were in the crosswalk walking their bikes across, I stopped as they crossed. I then noticed a Dodge Challenger come up over the hill in the rear view (20 mph speed limit mind you), he must have been doing 60 or 70. He didn't even try to stop, drove right around me and hit one of the girls (who was my neighbors daughter). She went flying head over heels through the air after she was struck. The driver of the Dodge lost control and drove up onto the grounds of a school right there, almost drove into the building. The Police station and fire station were right next door. Some pedestrians went to her aid, so I got out and ran over to the fire station to let them know, and another motorist ran to the police station to get them. The girl wound up surviving, but was in a full body cast for at least six months. The worst part, a few months later, I saw that Dodge Challenger being driven on the road, still with the smashed windshield where the girl had hit. It was sickening to see.

Brownsfan

Wow some of these stories would be so hard to try to forget. Life can be a gentle Breeze or a tornado of hell. It all comes down to timing I guess.

Brownsfan

I got some more details on the accident I posted about. It turns out the guy who survived always runs the stop sign where the accident occurred. The guy that killed the other guy was 22 years old. His life and many others are forever changed cause he couldn't bear to give up a few seconds of his life. Shame shame Shane.