Adult Signature Required

B

brownmonster

When we turn in a signed del. notice back at the center they get thrown in a cardboard box. No sense of order. So I use SDN in the deliver screen and type in the last name and put commercial in the prompt and leave the pkg. I keep one copy of a signed note from each consignee. If there is a dispute I say "the signed note must have got lost in the high tech cardboard box in the corner filing system". If there is still a dispute I whip out my copy of the signed note. "must have forgot to turn this in". Works good for those Comm. versus Res. gray area stops.

D

dannyboy

EZ

You can do it two ways. The first is to have them sign delivery notices. I use SOF (signature on file) in the clarification because I cant remember who's signature is on the notice.

The other way is for them to write their wishes on their letterhead. You or the center keeps it on file in the office. While I keep mine here, because the center has a way of losing things, I know of several that have theirs at the center.

What it does is clear you to leave the delivery. It does not clear you of stupidity of doing things like leaving them in the rain, out at the mail box etc.

The largest customer I leave every day with a SOF is a dairy. They do not have the staff available, and when a signature is needed, they have to come down a frieght elevator and leave their position on the milk line to do so. IT has worked out well for many years and not unusual for me to leave 4 or 5 pallets on the dock. Never had any problems or any losses. But then again, it is a high security delivery.

Others that I use it for are churches, schools, small businesses etc, many of which I have the keys for. All I do is unlock the door and place the package inside door. Every time I use the SOF on a delivery notice.

Not like some other drivers that use the DR method which is wrong and causes additional charges to be placed on the package.

I actually started with delivery notices back when we had to get signatures on everything. I had a small cabinet at the house where I stored the delivery notices by street name. Each time I would catch someone at home I just had them sign one in advance so the next delivery could be left without them being home. At one time I had over 12,000 signed delivery notices. All that hard work turned usless when we started to DR packages. But for years, boy could I smoke the routes I had notices on.

d

S

spidey

FYI, SOF will not protect you as a driver or the company from a claim. It will have NO bearing, none at all, under any circumstances. Be careful every delivery, every time.

D

dannyboy

"FYI, SOF will not protect you as a driver or the company from a claim."

No it wont protect the company. But it does protect the driver.

Claims will happen no matter what you do. But if you have the documentation that is needed, the signed delivery notice etc and you use proper methods instead of leaving them in an unsafe place, then you as a driver can not be held responsible for the claim. After all, that is why UPS uses the delivery notice. It is a legal binding document that gives us permission to leave your package.

I have never turned in a delivery notice. Ever. I saw how they were stored at the center, not! Many times the basket was emptied into the trash. So as a means of protecting myself, I have them all here. And because UPS knows that I have them all here, they have never even asked me to pay for a package.

Well, except for the COD that was stolen, but that involved a whole different set of problems and a ring of thieves here in tennessee.

d

S

spidey

What I was refering to were the letters that the company used to keep on file for the customers, the ACTUAL signature on files. After several successful lawsuits we don't do that anymore.

The signed delivery notices are different. The centers are required to keep them on file at the center for 18 months (this was expanded from 3 months last year.) If they are not, contact your loss prevention dept, "this is a driver at blah center and our delevery notices are going in the trash." I promise you it will change quickly. Why should you care? Those sdn's are for YOUR protection.

If a packages says Adult Signature Required and you have anything less than a signature from that cusomer in the DIAD, a claim will be more trouble for you than you want.

As I said, be careful. Every delivery, every time.

U

upsdude

I talked to the district LP manager this morning. SOF is NOT allowed, period. A SDN may be used if the diad will allow it.

D

dannyboy

HAve your LP manager call ours. MAybe between the two of them they can agree on something.

d

U

upsdude

"HAve your LP manager call ours. MAybe between the two of them they can agree on something."

This reminds me of something a sup told me a long time ago. We're one big company operated like 50 individual franchises.

P

purkups

we just had two drivers fired here for signing for buisness stops that they thought they were doing a favor for. pkg turned up missing and their longtime arrangement wasn't in the best interest of the consignee anymore. due to the confusing answers I've gotten over the years about when it's ok to take a sdn on signature required I just get the customer to sign in person or will call , no splainin to do or worry about what rule mgmt is following today.

D

dannyboy

If they signed their name for the deliveries, then they would only have to pay for the lost package. If they signed the customers name, or made one up, that is dishonest and is a termination offence.

So since they signed the customers name to the delivery, that is forgery. That is dishonest and should result in the action taken.

This is a big difference from what was discussed earlier. A signed delivery notice on a regular, non signature required package, will cover the driver as long as he places the packages in a safe spot.

d

S

susiedriver

dBoy,

Aren't all commercial stops 'sig req'd' anymore? I don't mean in the board, but by policy.

D

dannyboy

They can not be DR'ed if that is what you mean. They can be left on a delivery notice if the person is not there.

d

D

ddomino

Does anyone have multi-story apt bldgs on their area? If so are you allowed to DR pkgs. I have had three del sups tell me it ok. Then one day not long after one of those sups has the whole center sign a proper DR procedsure sheet. One of the rules was NO DR TO MULTI-DWELING RESIDENTIAL STOPS. I did not sign, but went to the ctr mgr. He said: who has been doing that before you? I told him. he said "has he ever gotten in trouble?" Well I don't consider that a good answer. I think if it came down to it, they would throw me to the wolfs (lp). Has anyone had this happen either way? The reason I think this started was to reduce send agains.

S

spidey

If a claim comes up "We've always done it that way" won't help you; it will fall on the driver. Just don't do it. CYA. I know that it inconviences both the company and the customer, but the rise in DR claims is going to make this a hot issue again soon. I know that sometimes exceptions can be made, but it needs to be on a package by package basis, and an exception rather than the rule.

8up

we have some of those multi-plex apts that are designed is such a fashion that allow good consealment of deliveries and also have a good history of no loss, but it's still the driver's decision and :censored2: if they decide incorrectly.
as far as "adult signature" i just love to flatter the ladies with this one..."honestly mam, i'll need to see proof first" make it fun, they eat it up.
:kiss:

W

wily_old_vet

Our center did the dr to apts to cut down send agains but it was only in secured bldgs. Still I told the drivers delivering those bldgs they were nuts if they didnt get it in writing that they should dr these pkgs. Most of them just shrugged their shoulders and went ahead and did it.

S

susiedriver

dBoy,

Where would you leave the packages at a business if no one is there?

D

dannyboy

Where ever the customer says to leave it.

For some, I have keys to the business, others like Pet have a security gate you must go through and leave them on the dock.

So where ever and how ever the customer needs are met is a good thing. If not, FEDex will.

d