Advice for a New Driver

Zowert

Start off reading frequently asked questions in the UPS discussion thread. You're learning curve won't be as much but its like trying to tell someone who asks you what its like to have kids. Can't do it. You just have to dive in the pool and start swimming. My advice is find some veteran guys who are willing to help you out. Ask questions! Eventually you'll learn who to trust!

Thank you for this.

summersaltstains

They will probably tell you you have to meet their time expectation 5 days in a row to qualify. I may have made it 5 times but never in a row and they still qualified me. The most important thing is don't wreck the car. After that just focus on improving every day. Maybe they went easy on me because my route was pickup heavy and they always take longer than the computer allows for, but I can't imagine they would cut you over something as dumb as ORION.

Heavy Package

I have little knowledge of company culture. As far as the job itself, I'm experienced in route driving and package delivery.

Based on your post, the biggest challenge you may have is with the company culture at UPS. Like you, I have had several other jobs and have never experienced the level of dysfunction I have seen at UPS. Nothing can be said to help you understand, you will have to experience it for yourself.

As far as the driving and delivering goes, package delivery is a fast-paced but methodical job. I don't care or remember most of the UPS jargon because it is crap just like the company culture. I work by this standard: Safe, smart, smooth.

When things get to you and your frustration is at its breaking point, that is when you will determine if this is a job you are willing to do as a career. When it happens, take 5 minutes and ask yourself if the pay and benefits and pension are worth the harassment, dysfunction, and loss of family time.

Welcome to UPS. For what its worth, after many good jobs, I have decided UPS is worth it for me and my family. But I only care about my fellow brothers and sisters who do the actual work at this company. The rest can kiss off and I have no emotion for anything at UPS once I punch out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Both of you touch on your lack of familiarity with the company culture. As a former military member, I had a much easier transition to the "UPS way" than most due to the similarities between the two; however, neither of you touched on your lack of familiarity with the union culture. This was my biggest stumbling block-----constantly being told "slow down, you're making the rest of us look bad" quickly became annoying.

Heavy Package

As a former military member

USMC here. Trust me, the UPS culture is crap. As far as the union goes, there are always slugs in any organization. I still stand up for the union. Why? Because what does UPS do when we voice concerns or want to make true, rational, improvements? They treat us like children who should be seen (with polished shoes, clean shaven, etc. etc.) but not heard. And the double-standard BS is appalling.

Thurisaz

Hi Folks!
I thought I'd jump in this thread instead of starting a new one, as I am a newbie too and I thought my first experiences might help Zowert, even though he's got WAY more experience in the delivering world than I did...
So, I was hired off the street in mid February after being laid off from a desk job after 17 years.
I wanted a change and to actually move around, so I applied.
They took me in, sent me to class, and it was about a month and a half of working 1-2 days a week here, 3 days a week there, doing different jobs (ie. riding shotgun with other drivers on their routes, working at the mall delivering (no driving involved), and a few non-consecutive days on a training route with a supervisor where I drove 2 second halves of those 2 days...
WELL, the day finally came when I went on this training route alone, it was a Monday and bat:censored2: crazy for a newbie like me. Missing most of my pickups, I managed to get the 2 most important, one always has a load of High Value, and preceded to try to do my residential deliveries. Not knowing the area well at all, especially in the dark, my phone being on 3% charge left, my truck full of High Values and Next Days and it was 8:30pm, I decided to say eff-it and go back to the roost while I could still GPS my way back...
I got back, unloaded and despite being nuts, it seemed like it wasn't that big a deal to my sup...whew...
So I'm back to work the next day, and off on the route again, and this day I thought went pretty darn well, way better than the first, got my Next Days off, delivered what I thought was all/most my commercial, made all my pickups, and preceded to deliver the rest of my truck. Get back to roost about 7:30, unload and everything I thought went really well, whew...or so I thought....
I come back in the next morning, and get called in the office where I have to be let go from the package driver position because I sheeted a business as 'closed' after 5:00, which it was.
Little did I know (or I just didn't remember?...not sure which) that this is ONE OF THE BIGGEST wrong things you can do (next to property damage of course), but they said that another sup had told me this distinctly the day before.
Now, I can't argue with that, I was at fault and honestly the day before was so crazy for my first day, I don't remember much of anything specifically except having a truckload of stuff in the dark and a phone on 3% lol...
It's funny, out of all the chaos of this place, I love it. I truly like all the people and the fact they are able to pull this off everyday amazes me. I'm pissed I dropped the ball on something so simple, but just learning how to enter everything on the DIAD has been probably my biggest bane of existence...
Now I'm waiting to hear about being rehired as a pickup driver and hopefully I can move on from here, but I must say, it's real hard to make these hours work, as my unemployment will only last so much longer, but I don't want to give up everything I've learned so far...
Thanks for your time and one thing for sure is, we all can learn from each other's experiences...

trickpony1

I remember going like 50 in a 25 trying to get my last air stop off as the clock was ticking at 10:28

...and when the opposing attorney says, "...Mr. Mesomorph, would you be kind enough to tell the jury why you were doing 50 in a 25 and hit and killed my client?"

Meso: "well...because...my company places a lot of pressure to make service at any cost".

Yup...that'll look good.