Advice for a New Driver

john chesney

Hello everybody!

I just finished training this week, I start next week (Seattle-Tacoma area). I was hired off the street, so I have little knowledge of company culture. As far as the job itself, I'm experienced in route driving and package delivery. Before getting hired on I worked for a small parcel delivery company that was contracted by Amazon. We drove full size vans and would often deliver as much as 300 packages over 200+ stops, during peak season I once delivered 306 packages in 252 stops; ten hour days. But I had the luxury of a GPS system to aid me in delivery and the packages were obviously a LOT smaller than what UPS drivers deal with. We also never had set routes. One day i'd be delivering up in Everett (WA), the next I could be in Kirkland, another day in Seattle and so on..

Anyway, as a new hire I understand that i'll be put on cover routes while i'm part time, waiting for a spot to get in full time on a set route. My question is how did you guys fare while you were in my position? As a newly hired driver expected to go on routes, without GPS, in areas you're unfamiliar with. I'm decent at navigating, before delivering packages for Amazon I was a delivery driver for a local lumber company and I had to use paper maps to navigate. However that was a different ballgame since I'd only take out one load for delivery at a time and time was not as restricted. So, how did you get by in your days as a newbie? What helped you navigate an area you were unfamiliar with? I'm assuming you wouldn't have had the time to study a map in between every deliver, especially if you have well over a hundred stops to make. Regardless of my past experience, I'm unsure how well i'm going to fare at making stops in an unknown area in a timely matter.

Thanks for your time. I'd also like to mention, without sounding like an ass kisser, that I really admire the guys who've been doing this job for years and years. It is physically demanding and it can be stressful as hell!
Well I think the first thing is you have to remember you’re going to do things the Ups way. Nothing will get you in trouble faster then not following Ups methods.We do things a lot different then amazon.Im leaving in a couple months I’ll leave a spot for you good luck

Where'sMyRegularDriver?

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?
I am a part-time air driver, so I cannot comment on the life of a full timer. This is what I can offer:
1. Integrity- "Integrity issue" is sometimes (rightly so) applied to drivers here. Here is the flip side. After I was hired as a seasonal driver, the center manager told us that the $11.00/hr starting pay would change to $9.00/hr for peak (illegal). A preload supervisor and a driver supervisor (now a center manager) were fired for shaving time off of employee time cards. UPSers.com has recently allowed you to view your time card. 2-3 times a week, my preload time (our drivers unload, sort, and load all packages) for the past year and a half has been shaved off and added to my on road time. This is so the center preload time looks good, which I assume leads to better bonuses for them.

2. Work ethic- By all means work hard, but watch out. Our drivers here that are not so intelligent, or are faking stupidity, are left alone to do the same daily task. The ones that can handle more are ground into the floor. Many times I have had to do 5 different routes in the same week (they don't like to train new drivers). The sups trust me. I have learned that it is not a good thing. I am not a runner gunner. I just have a good memory and work hard.

3. Relaxing- Try to not worry about traffic and the people that cut you off. For me, caring about my center is one I just recently learned. If I have a suggestion that will improve a drivers life while simultaneously improving efficiency, it is immediately shot down by our full time sup because it did originate from his brain. The belt that we use to load our trucks makes a certain grinding sound before it breaks down because it is overloaded. Everyone knows this. Last year the belt made that sound and I told a brand new sup to stop the back belt to relieve the weight so there is no breakdown. He looked at me like I was stupid and refused to do it. Belt broke down, 1 hour 45 min delay in loading, many many many late airs.

So work hard, but smart, watch them like they are watching you, and relax and don't worry about the things you cannot control.

Last edited:

Hello everybody!

I just finished training this week, I start next week (Seattle-Tacoma area). I was hired off the street, so I have little knowledge of company culture. As far as the job itself, I'm experienced in route driving and package delivery. Before getting hired on I worked for a small parcel delivery company that was contracted by Amazon. We drove full size vans and would often deliver as much as 300 packages over 200+ stops, during peak season I once delivered 306 packages in 252 stops; ten hour days. But I had the luxury of a GPS system to aid me in delivery and the packages were obviously a LOT smaller than what UPS drivers deal with. We also never had set routes. One day i'd be delivering up in Everett (WA), the next I could be in Kirkland, another day in Seattle and so on..

Anyway, as a new hire I understand that i'll be put on cover routes while i'm part time, waiting for a spot to get in full time on a set route. My question is how did you guys fare while you were in my position? As a newly hired driver expected to go on routes, without GPS, in areas you're unfamiliar with. I'm decent at navigating, before delivering packages for Amazon I was a delivery driver for a local lumber company and I had to use paper maps to navigate. However that was a different ballgame since I'd only take out one load for delivery at a time and time was not as restricted. So, how did you get by in your days as a newbie? What helped you navigate an area you were unfamiliar with? I'm assuming you wouldn't have had the time to study a map in between every deliver, especially if you have well over a hundred stops to make. Regardless of my past experience, I'm unsure how well i'm going to fare at making stops in an unknown area in a timely matter.

Thanks for your time. I'd also like to mention, without sounding like an ass kisser, that I really admire the guys who've been doing this job for years and years. It is physically demanding and it can be stressful as hell!
First time I’ve heard of a part time driver being hired off the street. Especially in that area.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
...and when the opposing attorney says, "...Mr. Mesomorph, would you be kind enough to tell the jury why you were doing 50 in a 25 and hit and killed my client?"

Meso: "well...because...my company places a lot of pressure to make service at any cost".

Yup...that'll look good.

Why do you think I quit? My manager would have just bitched me out over the late and I was still in my 30

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Stay organized make sure you have packages within your 30 inch reach selection. Ask a supervisor for a delivery area map that you will be on and go out and drive to each stop. This will help you learn the area and will teach you through memory not GPS where to go next. Keep egress clean and start your pick ups a little early until you are familiar with their shipping volumes and close out times. Other then that follow all methods and dont get hurt or in a accident and speed will come with time on the job, good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Stay organized make sure you have packages within your 30 inch reach selection. Ask a supervisor for a delivery area map that you will be on and go out and drive to each stop. This will help you learn the area and will teach you through memory not GPS where to go next. Keep egress clean and start your pick ups a little early until you are familiar with their shipping volumes and close out times. Other then that follow all methods and dont get hurt or in a accident and speed will come with time on the job, good luck.

Do they even teach the 30” selection area anymore?

Keep your head down while qualifying and get those 30 days out of the way. Then the real fun begins!

The first time they throw you on a new route blind, completely bomb it. Miss business, miss pickups, make them send you help, bring'er in at 23:00! But be sure to relay to them via DIAD messages, that you're going to have missed. Put the ball in their court. Rinse and repeat this step a few times until management figures out they can't rely on you to run new routes.

Congratulations! You've set yourself up for a wonderful life as a UPS cover driver! The only routes management will throw you on now, are your training route, super easy high seniority drivers' routes, cushy residential split cars, and running trash cars with irregs, bulk stops, LiBs, etc.

On the other hand, if you want to be abused by management day-in and day-out, show them you can be efficient at the job. Knock out every new route they put you on blind. Be a real go-getter!

Unfortunately at this company, all that gets you is more work. You now get to run the crappiest of routes, because management knows you "can get it done". Then after you finish your day, you get to go help out those "slackers"! (who in reality, are just the smart ones playing the game correctly) ((usually))

Seniority for cover guys doesn't mean crap unfortunately. You can ask to bump newer guys running the same two cake routes they always run all you want, but management just comes back with the excuse that such and such can't get it done, we need you to run it. So now you're punished for being a harder worker?!? Welcome to the life of a UPS cover driver!

Learn from the mistakes of those before you. Yes, it can be hard to put your pride aside and sandbag, but in the long run, it is more than worth it. Good luck!

Zowert

Based on your post, the biggest challenge you may have is with the company culture at UPS. Like you, I have had several other jobs and have never experienced the level of dysfunction I have seen at UPS. Nothing can be said to help you understand, you will have to experience it for yourself.

As far as the driving and delivering goes, package delivery is a fast-paced but methodical job. I don't care or remember most of the UPS jargon because it is crap just like the company culture. I work by this standard: Safe, smart, smooth.

When things get to you and your frustration is at its breaking point, that is when you will determine if this is a job you are willing to do as a career. When it happens, take 5 minutes and ask yourself if the pay and benefits and pension are worth the harassment, dysfunction, and loss of family time.

Welcome to UPS. For what its worth, after many good jobs, I have decided UPS is worth it for me and my family. But I only care about my fellow brothers and sisters who do the actual work at this company. The rest can kiss off and I have no emotion for anything at UPS once I punch out.

Thanks for this, I appreciate the honesty.

I Just Wanna Go Home

Hi Folks!
I thought I'd jump in this thread instead of starting a new one, as I am a newbie too and I thought my first experiences might help Zowert, even though he's got WAY more experience in the delivering world than I did...
So, I was hired off the street in mid February after being laid off from a desk job after 17 years.
I wanted a change and to actually move around, so I applied.
They took me in, sent me to class, and it was about a month and a half of working 1-2 days a week here, 3 days a week there, doing different jobs (ie. riding shotgun with other drivers on their routes, working at the mall delivering (no driving involved), and a few non-consecutive days on a training route with a supervisor where I drove 2 second halves of those 2 days...
WELL, the day finally came when I went on this training route alone, it was a Monday and bat:censored2: crazy for a newbie like me. Missing most of my pickups, I managed to get the 2 most important, one always has a load of High Value, and preceded to try to do my residential deliveries. Not knowing the area well at all, especially in the dark, my phone being on 3% charge left, my truck full of High Values and Next Days and it was 8:30pm, I decided to say eff-it and go back to the roost while I could still GPS my way back...
I got back, unloaded and despite being nuts, it seemed like it wasn't that big a deal to my sup...whew...
So I'm back to work the next day, and off on the route again, and this day I thought went pretty darn well, way better than the first, got my Next Days off, delivered what I thought was all/most my commercial, made all my pickups, and preceded to deliver the rest of my truck. Get back to roost about 7:30, unload and everything I thought went really well, whew...or so I thought....
I come back in the next morning, and get called in the office where I have to be let go from the package driver position because I sheeted a business as 'closed' after 5:00, which it was.
Little did I know (or I just didn't remember?...not sure which) that this is ONE OF THE BIGGEST wrong things you can do (next to property damage of course), but they said that another sup had told me this distinctly the day before.
Now, I can't argue with that, I was at fault and honestly the day before was so crazy for my first day, I don't remember much of anything specifically except having a truckload of stuff in the dark and a phone on 3% lol...
It's funny, out of all the chaos of this place, I love it. I truly like all the people and the fact they are able to pull this off everyday amazes me. I'm :censored2: I dropped the ball on something so simple, but just learning how to enter everything on the DIAD has been probably my biggest bane of existence...
Now I'm waiting to hear about being rehired as a pickup driver and hopefully I can move on from here, but I must say, it's real hard to make these hours work, as my unemployment will only last so much longer, but I don't want to give up everything I've learned so far...
Thanks for your time and one thing for sure is, we all can learn from each other's experiences...
A little tip that they don’t tell you when you first start, honesty will get you fired. I’ve been told by multiple center managers to sheet a business as a not in 1 residential because I wouldn’t make it there in time. Work as directed and write everything a manger tells you down. If it comes back on you just give em the ol’ “You told me to do it like this months ago” gag.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A little tip that they don’t tell you when you first start, honesty will get you fired. I’ve been told by multiple center managers to sheet a business as a not in 1 residential because I wouldn’t make it there in time. Work as directed and write everything a manger tells you down. If it comes back on you just give em the ol’ “You told me to do it like this months ago” gag.

Nope.

If you are asked to do anything that is questionable either ask them to put it in writing or simply hand the package(s) to your OMS clerk and have him/her sheet it accordingly. DO NOT FALSIFY ANYTHING!!

Zowert

...just learning how to enter everything on the DIAD has been probably my biggest bane of existence.

This right here is one of my biggest concerns. The DIAD training they give you in class was a joke. No hands on. All on a computer and confusing af.

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I hope you get the call back to work soon.