Advice for a New Driver

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This right here is one of my biggest concerns. The DIAD training they give you in class was a joke. No hands on. All on a computer and confusing af.

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I hope you get the call back to work soon.

The DIAD will be the least of your concerns.

Mustacheyouaquestion

60 minute lunch
Hello everybody!

I just finished training this week, I start next week (Seattle-Tacoma area). I was hired off the street, so I have little knowledge of company culture. As far as the job itself, I'm experienced in route driving and package delivery. Before getting hired on I worked for a small parcel delivery company that was contracted by Amazon. We drove full size vans and would often deliver as much as 300 packages over 200+ stops, during peak season I once delivered 306 packages in 252 stops; ten hour days. But I had the luxury of a GPS system to aid me in delivery and the packages were obviously a LOT smaller than what UPS drivers deal with. We also never had set routes. One day i'd be delivering up in Everett (WA), the next I could be in Kirkland, another day in Seattle and so on..

Anyway, as a new hire I understand that i'll be put on cover routes while i'm part time, waiting for a spot to get in full time on a set route. My question is how did you guys fare while you were in my position? As a newly hired driver expected to go on routes, without GPS, in areas you're unfamiliar with. I'm decent at navigating, before delivering packages for Amazon I was a delivery driver for a local lumber company and I had to use paper maps to navigate. However that was a different ballgame since I'd only take out one load for delivery at a time and time was not as restricted. So, how did you get by in your days as a newbie? What helped you navigate an area you were unfamiliar with? I'm assuming you wouldn't have had the time to study a map in between every deliver, especially if you have well over a hundred stops to make. Regardless of my past experience, I'm unsure how well i'm going to fare at making stops in an unknown area in a timely matter.

Thanks for your time. I'd also like to mention, without sounding like an ass kisser, that I really admire the guys who've been doing this job for years and years. It is physically demanding and it can be stressful as hell!

f6197f7e81962eb9c1680ca736059790.jpg

I Just Wanna Go Home

This right here is one of my biggest concerns. The DIAD training they give you in class was a joke. No hands on. All on a computer and confusing af.

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I hope you get the call back to work soon.
For residential stops 9 times out of 10 it will be scan button (to turn it on) scan button again (scan the barcode on the package) big arrow down, scan any other packages you have for the stop, delivery softkey (bottom right button on the touch screen) 7 (front door) check mark (stop complete). Assuming it doesn’t require a signature and you’re in a neighborhood where DRing is okay.

I Just Wanna Go Home

For commercial stops it would be scan button (turn it on) scan button again (scan barcode) big arrow down, scan all other packages for the stop, signature button (top right button on the diad) enter (big button with the arrow pointing to the right >) have the customer sign, signature button again, enter their name, hit the enter button again, then check mark (stop complete) and where it was delivered 1-9

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For commercial stops it would be scan button (turn it on) scan button again (scan barcode) big arrow down, scan all other packages for the stop, signature button (top right button on the diad) enter (big button with the arrow pointing to the right >) have the customer sign, signature button again, enter their name, hit the enter button again, then check mark (stop complete) and where it was delivered 1-9

CIR?

Zowert

First time I’ve heard of a part time driver being hired off the street. Especially in that area.

What do you mean? Do they usually hire guys off the street full time? I just assumed I’ll be part time starting out because thats how the companies I worked for in the past (in the same industry, Amazon & FedEX) operate. Either way I’ll find out Tuesday.

Zowert

The DIAD will be the least of your concerns.

It’s beginning to sound like management is going to be my biggest problem.

When you’re out on your route, do you ever encounter customers who feel their entitled to your time? Like making you wait to receive their packages, taking their sweet time signing, talking on the phone and ignoring your presence, making ridiculous requests like having you haul their packages to an office in the back of their building and just generally having the attitude like “I paid for this to be shipped here and you now work for me for the next 5-10 minutes.” ..? I bring this up because it was a common issue I had with customers at my last job. It almost seemed like they were purposely wasting my time, and the worst part is there was NOTHING I could do about it but smile and wait. Then dispatch would call me up and give me an ear full because I was behind.

What do you mean? Do they usually hire guys off the street full time? I just assumed I’ll be part time starting out because thats how the companies I worked for in the past (in the same industry, Amazon & FedEX) operate. Either way I’ll find out Tuesday.
If you are being hired to drive, it’s typically full time. Some areas hire temp full time drivers to cover summer vacations. If you are covering routes it’s not part time. Seattle area can usually cover vacations.

I Just Wanna Go Home

It’s beginning to sound like management is going to be my biggest problem.

When you’re out on your route, do you ever encounter customers who feel their entitled to your time? Like making you wait to receive their packages, taking their sweet time signing, talking on the phone and ignoring your presence, making ridiculous requests like having you haul their packages to an office in the back of their building and just generally having the attitude like “I paid for this to be shipped here and you now work for me for the next 5-10 minutes.” ..? I bring this up because it was a common issue I had with customers at my last job. It almost seemed like they were purposely wasting my time, and the worst part is there was NOTHING I could do about it but smile and wait. Then dispatch would call me up and give me an ear full because I was behind.
oh you mean easy overtime? Yes people do it all the time. You got your John Hancocks who stick their tongue out ever so slightly and squint their eyes while signing, and you still can’t read it. You got the people who can’t multi-task at all so they have to get off the phone, punch in something into their computer, get a drink, then they’ll sign. I try to be nice and smile but sometimes you just gotta cut in line and shove the diad in front of the front desk clerk. Sorry but I got 240 more people and places to service.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

oh you mean easy overtime? Yes people do it all the time. You got your John Hancocks who stick their tongue out ever so slightly and squint their eyes while signing, and you still can’t read it. You got the people who can’t multi-task at all so they have to get off the phone, punch in something into their computer, get a drink, then they’ll sign. I try to be nice and smile but sometimes you just gotta cut in line and shove the diad in front of the front desk clerk. Sorry but I got 240 more people and places to service.

CIR!!

“Would you like me to come back later, if I have time?” NR1