Advice for driver training and test

Metro5jack

Too young to have back pain
I plan on applying for a seasonal driving position this coming peak. I have been with UPS on and off for about 8 months now (current college student working during breaks.) Is there anything I should know to become a driver or anything that can be a hinderance to getting into the position?

I was recommended to apply by one of the driver supervisors, they thought I would be a good fit. I want to prove them right and make sure I know my stuff.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Metro5jack

Get a pt job here first and use the tuition assistance to pay for your college and get that degree.
I'm currently a preloader, but I can't get the tuition assistance since I don't work for them during the school year. Or at least that what I'm being led to believe. I plan on working at a UPS Store while in school so I can hopefully get the TA

qdg2

If, your test requires a stick shift.....know how to drive one without any trouble.

Know whatever word for word safe driving stuff is listed. Know it cold. Use the handrail. Beep when backing.

Mainly, try to be smoooth. Work quickly and efficiently.

Drive when you drive. Deliver when you deliver.

If you want to be a driver and succeed.....question nothing, talk back etc. Except something illegal. Ask lot's of questions. Until you understand it. Ask seasoned drivers questions. Understand what and how the truck is loaded vs. how it is supposed to be.

Do whatever it takes.

Metro5jack

If, your test requires a stick shift.....know how to drive one without any trouble.

Know whatever word for word safe driving stuff is listed. Know it cold. Use the handrail. Beep when backing.

Mainly, try to be smoooth. Work quickly and efficiently.

Drive when you drive. Deliver when you deliver.

If you want to be a driver and succeed.....question nothing, talk back etc. Except something illegal. Ask lot's of questions. Until you understand it. Ask seasoned drivers questions. Understand what and how the truck is loaded vs. how it is supposed to be.

Do whatever it takes.
I did helper work the past 2 peak seasons, so I am familiar with a lot of the procedures. I know how the trucks are supposed to be loaded and I ask the drivers how they rearrange it for their route and learn from them.

Stick shift might be a problem tho...

Don't Judge Me

From someone who literally just left integrad 8 hours ago....

Learn your 5's and 10's... start now.
Learn the safe start car routine.
If/when you take the precourse for integrad, pay attention to the drive drill. Watch it again. And again.

These are the things they're looking for during training. The could give two :censored2:s about how you load a package car. They care about the 30" selection zone, but even that isn't the focus. Anything within the package car is learned with time and practice. They want you to be safe driving, getting in and out of the package car, and being smooth with the delivery process. They want to see that you have the ability to be coached, and take feedback well and learn from it.

qdg2

From someone who literally just left integrad 8 hours ago....

Learn your 5's and 10's... start now.
Learn the safe start car routine.
If/when you take the precourse for integrad, pay attention to the drive drill. Watch it again. And again.

These are the things they're looking for during training. The could give two :censored2:s about how you load a package car. They care about the 30" selection zone, but even that isn't the focus. Anything within the package car is learned with time and practice. They want you to be safe driving, getting in and out of the package car, and being smooth with the delivery process. They want to see that you have the ability to be coached, and take feedback well and learn from it.
and
What the guy above me said and also don’t get visibly stressed out.
never, ever run.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I plan on applying for a seasonal driving position this coming peak. I have been with UPS on and off for about 8 months now (current college student working during breaks.) Is there anything I should know to become a driver or anything that can be a hinderance to getting into the position?

I was recommended to apply by one of the driver supervisors, they thought I would be a good fit. I want to prove them right and make sure I know my stuff.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

I don't think it works that way.
The UPS Store is not UPS. They will not pay for your school. I wasn’t even aware UPS had the earn and learn program anymore. Even if they do, you do not need to be a driver to get it. Why are you trying to drive when you are in school trying to do something else? Driving is for lifers. Get a PT job in the hub and jump ship when you finish school.

qdg2

The UPS Store is not UPS. They will not pay for your school. I wasn’t even aware UPS had the earn and learn program anymore. Even if they do, you do not need to be a driver to get it. Why are you trying to drive when you are in school trying to do something else? Driving is for lifers. Get a PT job in the hub and jump ship when you finish school.
Seems to be a stepping stone to mgt. too. Especially college grads. Wasn't he going to be a "seasonal driver" too?

Metro5jack

What is the difference between the 2? I did not realize they weren’t part of the same thing
Reputation is everything
i want to have a good representation as I want to turn UPS into a career, whether by driving or in a management position. I’m trying to do a bit of everything to really see which direction I want to go. I’m majoring in Global Supply Chain Management and I haven’t decided which route to take yet (as in more driver focused and that side, or an overall global look. Both are just as interesting to me.)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What is the difference between the 2? I did not realize they weren’t part of the same thing

i want to have a good representation as I want to turn UPS into a career, whether by driving or in a management position. I’m trying to do a bit of everything to really see which direction I want to go. I’m majoring in Global Supply Chain Management and I haven’t decided which route to take yet (as in more driver focused and that side, or an overall global look. Both are just as interesting to me.)
Judging from the way you write I’d say your best choice is going to be driver