Advice for Female

G

grl

I am contemplating a part time job with UPS . I wonder if being female is going to be a problem. I am not a big women but I am pretty strong and in good shape. I play basketball and I snowboard in addition to other sports. Here's the thing that worries me I'm 43. I look about 10/15 years younger but I don't know if the HR person will look at me and say too small, too old, no way.......Any women out there working as a handler that can give some insight. If it matters I'm in the NY Metro area.

D

dannyboy

Not a woman, but IMHO that should not make a difference one way or another.

d

B

brown39

I think they would seriously consider you as the company has numbers to reach, plus there are things NO COMPANY can ask in hiring you. Peak hiring is coming, good time to make a move.

F

frustrated

I think you are as good as in.

Companies like this; have quotas for women and minorities.

Enjoy your new career.

M

mr_roboto

That's right! And once you are in you'll have it made. The girls in my center get away with murder because the suits are terrified of a harassment claim.

Just the facts here.

B

brown39

I would suggest that managers will hold production standards for both sexes first though.

D

deliver_man

That's right! And once you are in you'll have it made. The girls in my center get away with murder because the suits are terrified of a harassment claim.

Just the facts here.
What "facts"? I don't see any "facts" in your post at all, just a biased opinion. Why don't you share with us some of the terrible things that the "girls" in your center get away with because the "suits" are so terrified of a harrasment claim. Women in the workplace are not the problem, attitudes like yours' are.

O

over9five

Get ready to work hard! All women pkg handlers at UPS are flat-chested.....Yes, you'll work them off.

Sorry, was that inappropriate?

S

steamheat

you should contemplate a full time job as an outside hire. play the system to your best advantage. doesn't matter that guys like me had to work 13 years part time.

D

dannyboy

GRL

Sorry for some of the posts here, some of the posters are throwbacks to the time of "you should be home barefoot and pregnant"

We have several women that work for us here, and many can do the job quite well, some even better than some of the tough guys.

Here they are treated just like one of the guys. One of our drivers even worked untill here eighth month, twice. I dont know how she does it! She has my total respect and admiration. They do start her at 9:30AM so she can take her children to daycare that doesnt open till 9. It is not unusual for her to work till 9-10PM.

As for being flat chested because of the work, that just isnt so. Several of the females that work here are gay and had a masculine build to start with. But there are several that are amply endowed and have stayed that way. And Rhonda, well let us just say that after 20 years at UPS the first thing that still enters the room is her assets.

So dont let the nay sayers talk you out of a career at UPS. It is hard work, long hours, and definatly not for everybody. 80% of guys dont make it. But if you apply yourself and take care of your body(work safely) then you should and can go far!

Good luck and let me know how you make out with your new job.

d

G

grl

Thanks for all the replies, even the idiotic ones. Truthfully I expected what danny boy referred to as throwbacks to the time of "you should be home barefoot and pregnant" posts. I was, however, surprised by the animosity some posters displayed thinking I would get over because I am a women....Whatever......I've worked with guys like that before and they are usually LAZY and hate the fact that a women can do the same job better than they can. Anyway since the peak hiring season is just about here I'll probably give it a go.

T

toonertoo

Take the job, it will keep you in the great shape you are, actually you will be in better shape. Your chest will stay in place, if you dont catch 70pounders with your chest as a cushion.
You will find a few who dont like women, (mostly the other women), most men are like deliveryman, and dannyboy. You will have to prove yourself, that happens in any job. And I dont feel that management worries about harrassement with females. They harrass equally at my building.
I was on the preload for 8 years PT and I saw men quit after a day who looked like body builders, and small girls stick it out, and work circles around the males, and larger women. good Luck. Join the 6% of us women who like working a physical job. Better than sitting in an office.

M

mr_roboto

GRL sez...

"I've worked with guys like that before and they are usually LAZY and hate the fact that a women can do the same job better than they can. Anyway since the peak hiring season is just about here I'll probably give it a go."

I resent your sexist attitude. Just because you are a girl you evidently believe you are entitled to work for UPS even though you have not yet been hired! You haven't even applied.

Frustrated has submitted his application (several times), been interviewed (several times), keeps in constant contact with Management and Union and is still anxiously awaiting the all important call back.

You proclaim you are going to "give it a go" What does that mean? Are you finally going to submit an application?

As dannyboy suggested, please let us know how you make out.

roboto

L

local804

Grl, NY metro area huh? Keep me posted on the status.This board can use another member from the local 804.With our 25 and out contract, you can use your age to your advantage.There are very few women drivers in UPS in this area.Two per center is tops and thats an understatement.Good Luck.

D

dammor

"That's right! And once you are in you'll have it made. The girls in my center get away with murder because the suits are terrified of a harassment claim."

"I resent your sexist attitude. Just because you are a girl you evidently believe you are entitled to work for UPS even though you have not yet been hired!"

Roboto,

I swore off saying this, but what the hell,
you sound like an idiot. And considering you seem to consider all women as girls, I would have to say you are a boy idiot. That's good though because it means you have time to
grow up.

D

dannyboy

Dammor

Whadiya expect? HE makes sexist charges against someone when HE is the one that showed extreme sexizm in his post. I dont know if he even qualifies as an idiot. In my experience people like that dont ever grow up and out of stupidity.

d

G

grl

MR ROBOTO SAYS: "I resent your sexist attitude. Just because you are a girl you evidently believe you are entitled to work for UPS even though you have not yet been hired!"

Sexist attitude, entitled to work for UPS I just don't see how you reach that conclusion from my posts but I won't argue the point with you......To the other helpful posters: thank you for your help and encouragement -- I will keep you posted....I noticed besides handler jobs there are also seasonal jobs for drivers helpers available. Would this be a good position for me to learn about UPS and vice versa?

S

smf0605

"That's good though because it means you have time to grow up."

Dammor - that would be good in theory, the only problem is, having the time, and the inclination, are entirely different things.

GRL - speaking as a female, I can only agree with what Danny already said; it really isn't your size that matters. It is your desire to succeed.
We have had many men, that because they were body-builders, thought the job was a piece of cake. They were mistaken and they very rarely last. On the other hand, we have many women, and size is not an issue, who are able to handle the job quite well and they remain for years.

M

mr_roboto

Dammor...I was responding to a 43 year old female whose handle is GRL. ( she tells us she looks younger as though somebody might care.)

Dannyboy...What was my sexist comment? I told GRL that if she was hired she would have it made. I was trying to encourage her. I stated a FACT about the situation at my particular center. If it's different where you are then so be it.

Anybody that doesn't realize the sexism in dannyboy's statements about lesbians, Rhonda's assets and how GRL makes out are the real dummies. I thought he was making a joke but I now understand he was serious. If anybody believes he was speaking up for women's rights then that really is scary.

I'm going to copy dannyboy's message and make a poster from it and hang it on the board here. I wonder what the girls in my center will think about it? (I already have a pretty good idea)

Well I had better go now. My break is about over and I've got to file some damage claims.

roboto

PS...I'll bet GRL never ever gets hired at UPS. Now that truly is THE LOCK OF THE YEAR!! Does anybody here want to bet me?