After Qualifying For Retirement , Did Your Attitude and Blood Pressure Change?

Notretiredyet

Just got my 30FT in a few days ago, was planning on staying for the CS pension increase in 2017. Been thinking about filing my paperwork now and leaving the last day of work open. It would be nice to have everything in order when I decide to go.

Notretiredyet

Know years ago you could, believe it was good for a year. I'm going to find out, at least I'd like to have it run thru in case there are any issues.

oldngray

nowhere special
Can you do that part in pencil in case you want to change your mind?

You have to set a date to start the process but you can still change it. It's much easier to change it to a date farther in the future though so set an early date to see some numbers then change it to when you really plan on retiring.

trickpony1

Thanx for the info, that's a good plan. Think I'll shoot for Sept 1 as my date for now.

I've been told by knowledgeable people that it's not a good idea to retire on the first of the month. For some reason it's better to retire at the end of the month.

I trust the people who told me. I don't make this stuff up.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been told by knowledgeable people that it's not a good idea to retire on the first of the month. For some reason it's better to retire at the end of the month.

Any reason why? Its been so long since I retired I can't imagine why it would make a difference.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The thought process behind this is that there will be no loss of income during the transition. You can retire on the 30th and receive your pension check on the 1st of the following month. This will require that you have all of your ducks in a row long before then.

Notretiredyet

Was planning to make Aug 31 my last worked and Sept 1 my first day of retirement. At this point money is not an issue, started putting money in thrift plan in 79. Been maxing out my 401k and Roth for years, 37 yrs is enough (7PT/30FT) it's time to go.

Last edited:

Notretiredyet

Looks like July 30 will be my last day now, heading out to Sturgis SD for the bike rally on the 31th. After the rally I'm going to spend a couple weeks out west, riding some of my bucket list roads. Have to be back home the last week of August and then heading to the Jersey Shore with the wife to visit friends, riding there too.I feel like a kid at Xmas, that's been waiting 37yrs for the day to arrive.

oldupsman

The thought process behind this is that there will be no loss of income during the transition. You can retire on the 30th and receive your pension check on the 1st of the following month. This will require that you have all of your ducks in a row long before then.

Exactly what I did. Retired on the 30th, received my first pension check the next day the 1st. Started working on my retirement papers 6 months before that.

Notretiredyet

I was told it takes 4-6 weeks by our retirement coordinator Friday. It doesn't matter if I have to wait for the first check, already know the FT numbers. The only unknown is what my PT years are worth. That's my icing on the cake, that I've never bothered to factor in my retirement income.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was told it takes 4-6 weeks by our retirement coordinator Friday. It doesn't matter if I have to wait for the first check, already know the FT numbers. The only unknown is what my PT years are worth. That's my icing on the cake, that I've never bothered to factor in my retirement income.

Social Security will be the icing on my cake.

Notretiredyet

If it's around when I'm eligible, and CS pension board doesn't decide to reduce the pension benefits they pay when the SS checks start. Been hearing rumors.