Age when you decide to go Brown and how many years with the company

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I started in 1975, I was 17 and just had started my senior year in High School. I wish I could retire now. I figure I will go at least five more when I can get health insurance, or maybe I will go after Marty Peter's record!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I started in 1975, I was 17 and just had started my senior year in High School. I wish I could retire now. I figure I will go at least five more when I can get health insurance, or maybe I will go after Marty Peter's record!

I too have thought about banging on Marty's record door. and when I pass it I wil go and kick dirt on his headstone out of spite.

I started when i was 18 and will celebrate 15 years on July 29.

ol'browneye

Started 3 weeks after my 19th b-day. The supe couldn't get ahold of me because my daughter was just born and I wasn't home much for a few days.

Started driving full time 6 months after my 21st b-day. I got to orientation in a snow storm and a guy walked in and said "Is So-and-So here?" I said "That's me" and he told me I need to go to the hospital because my wife was having her baby! (Had a boy this time!) They held my spot and I got in an orientation 2 weeks later. Been driving for almost 21 1/2 yrs. Hope my body holds up for the next 8 1/2 so I can go with 30 years at age 51. I have considered feeders but I am not sure that's for me plus the company is doing it's darndest not to have a feeder school here.

For those of you doing the math and wondering-yes I got married when I was 18 , have 2 kids, and have been married to the sweetest thing I have ever met for 23 1/2 yrs!

P.S. The title of this thread needs to be changed. I don't think anybody really decides to go Brown, it just kind of happens!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I started at 43. Less than a year PT. 3 years this last May.

If (and that is a big IF) I can get 20 in I will be surprised.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
WOW dilli, not that 43 is old by any means but you must have been in excellent shape to start driving at that age. I thought 35 was tough!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
WOW dilli, not that 43 is old by any means but you must have been in excellent shape to start driving at that age. I thought 35 was tough!
Driving isn't the hard part. I have been professionally driving for almost 16 yrs. Preload was a killer. I was not in bad shape but not in the kind of shape that preload work requires. The first month was the hardest. I drop 20 lbs the first month. I was exhausted for the first few weeks. But it got easier.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Started back in 1976, at 21.
& up to day still here ( only canned twice, our center's record is 21 times for the same p/t air driver ), I might want to challenge that record.
Damn mad that they stopped " 25 yrs & out ,at any age ", just before I reached that level. Now I'll have to stay until age 57, with over 30 yrs pension by then.
That is if this body doesn't quit first.

25yrvet

Started p/t just after i turned 19. Started driving just before my 22nd b day. I'll have 28 years in soon. The retirement wheels are starting to churn, anyone know at what age you have to be to get medical insurance when retired?

barrycold

You guys rock!!!! Perfect example of a role models. Everybody has inspired me to stick around with the company. I been here for almost 8 years and I have 20 more something years to go until I retire. Thanks for contributing to my post.

mikestrek

Started in 1984. I was 20 years old. I've been with the company now 24 years. When I turn 50 I'll have my 30 years in and I'll be history.

I was 35 when I started as a non-union clerk(as far as I can find out, this time doesn't count toward retirement), @ 38 I started driving (was supposed to be a temporary plan). Now I have 20 years as a driver, 14 of those as a cover. For me to get 25 I'll be 63, I really don't think my hips, knees and ankles will hold out that long.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

congrats to all you old-timers who have put those years in and started young!

I started 24 y/o part time Jan 2002, FT since 2006 and will probably give this up before my 35th birthday. Maybe 5-6 more years.