Air driver /clerk

upsairdriver2015

Ok my supervisor called me this am ! I am not picking up bulk stops Ups store etc. I am only doing drop box pick ups . I guess filing a grievance for picking up ground at letter boxes is out of the question to save my job ?

Ms.PacMan

Weird all of our air/preload jobs are bid as 22.3
They are bid that way but air language supersedes other language.
Ok my supervisor called me this am ! I am not picking up bulk stops Ups store etc. I am only doing drop box pick ups . I guess filing a grievance for picking up ground at letter boxes is out of the question to save my job ?

IMO- do not grieve ground left at letter boxes. Contractually you are allowed to pick it up and would probably lose.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Picking up ground at a drop box just goes with the job.

Only rustle feathers when you need to.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Weird all of our air/preload jobs are bid as 22.3
Ask how they are being paid. If they are 22.3, they should go through a progression to a top rate for inside work. Under Art 40, the inside work is based on PT start date with no progression to top rate.

Ms.PacMan

Ask how they are being paid. If they are 22.3, they should go through a progression to a top rate for inside work. Under Art 40, the inside work is based on PT start date with no progression to top rate.
I think he said he was a part-timer who went ft with this combo job. He's going thru a ft progression for the inside work.

Brownslave688

Interesting. Could you file for top inside pay if its bid as article 22.3?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Picking up ground at a drop box just goes with the job.

Only rustle feathers when you need to.
I have seen drop boxes with 2 different pickup times listed, for ground & air (later).

Air drivers picking those up leave the ground for the package car driver the next day.

Brownslave688

I have seen drop boxes with 2 different pickup times listed, for ground & air (later).

Air drivers picking those up leave the ground for the package car driver the next day.
I'm all for being s stickler for the contract. I think more drivers should demand union help for overweights and such but this really seems unreasonable to me.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I think he said he was a part-timer who went ft with this combo job. He's going thru a ft progression for the inside work.
I read these as starting a progression for the air driving, and no progression for the inside work. VVV
Yes I am full time . I just won the bid in July . I would have to work in side but my inside rate is 14 bucks

No I was paid top air driver rate . When I won the bid I had to go back through progression and start at 1450

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Interesting. Could you file for top inside pay if its bid as article 22.3?
It would probably just be resolved as a clarification of the bid/pay rate, although I suppose they could re-bid it.

I imagine the problem is the bidding is done by HR, who generally is pretty far removed from knowledge of the contract.

Brownslave688

It would probably just be resolved as a clarification of the bid/pay rate, although I suppose they could re-bid it.

I imagine the problem is the bidding is done by HR, who generally is pretty far removed from knowledge of the contract.

Boy ain't that the truth. HR almost terminated me once over a contract misunderstanding.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
No I think he just gets paid his inside rate which is the problem. He's making a lot less per hour when not driving.
We used to have a lot of these air driver combo jobs at one of our hubs, and it was the "entry level" combo job. It got you FT seniority, which got you farther ahead in line to bid for the higher paying inside/inside 22.3 jobs.

upsairdriver2015

Yeah I have been with Ups 5 years . Started part time as preloader . Then started doing Saturday air . Then the full time driver got sick (had a stroke) I did his route for 1and 1/2. He retired and I won the bid in July . My inside rate follows my hire date. I hope that makes sense!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
By the way: as a 22.3 air driver/inside combo, you are guaranteed 3 hours of air driving, no matter how many hours inside worked. I would file for top driver rate 22.2 rate if UPS forced me inside 8 hours, with an article 40 FT air/inside job.