Air Driver for life?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Its a game you cant win. You enjoy life now because you actually have a life because your not full time and make decent money. That's good thing but you lose on the back side with a low pension. If I were you, what I would do all depending on what your money situation is, would be to get a financial advisor and get your retiring investments where you need them to be to supplement a low pension. That's probably the smartest thing to do. Live a low debt situation until you retire so youll be ok with the low pension. If you go full time, sure you will make a lot more money and have a bigger pension. But in reality you will hate it because you will have no life and beat the piss out of your body to the point where you will be broken down physically to the point where you will be holding on by the skin of your teeth. Full time isn't what its cracked up to be. Not nowadays anyway. Trust me on this one.

PT Car Washer

Tell you what, when you finally retire at 55-65 or so years of age, come back and tell us how little you are getting.
PT pension will be $2100 a month after 35 years. Drivers are coming on this site wanting a to get out at 25 years with $2000 a month. Can't hack the job anymore.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
Hhow do you make 32 to 48 dollars an hour working as a pat timer and delivering ground. Are you a single day vacation coverage driver?? If you aren't how are you working????!

Re-Raise

PT pension will be $2100 a month after 35 years. Drivers are coming on this site wanting a to get out at 25 years with $2000 a month. Can't hack the job anymore.
Do you have to be 65 to receive a pension or just have 35 years in at any age?
I know the company hates hiring full-time drivers, but I can't believe your centers are using air drivers to deliver ground on a regular basis. Don't the guys who are next in line to drive have a problem with this?

PT Car Washer

Do you have to be 65 to receive a pension or just have 35 years in at any age?
I know the company hates hiring full-time drivers, but I can't believe your centers are using air drivers to deliver ground on a regular basis. Don't the guys who are next in line to drive have a problem with this?
35 and out. Not that many PTers want to go driving. I have been trying to get some interested in Saturday driving with little luck.

UPSGUY72

I get the max ground wage if they call me in on weekdays and some months they will call me almost everyday. Which means i work like 8am to 9 or 10 pm. Since i will either be out driving or drive than come back to the hub and do my reg shift at 48$ an hour overtime. Its all cake work too for near 500$ in a day.

But like your saying i may be :censored2:ing my pension and for that reason i will prob need to suck it up and go fulltime. I make max wage 25hr on saturday but i make 32-48$ and hour weekdays whenever they call me to help. Which is fairly frequently. At least once a week but sometimes 5 times a week during weeks were lots of driver on vacation etc.

So lets get this correct are you a PT Air driver that delivers Air on Sat and works the local or preload when not driving Air and gets ask to fill in as FT driver when needed.

or are you a FT Air driver. That doesn't work on the inside at all ???

Which is it ????

It doesn't really matter remember just because they ask you know to help out with ground on Weekdays doesn't mean in the future they will ( should I say have to ask you ).

If your a FT Air Driver you get the Max package driver rate if you touch a ground package not if they call you in on weekdays. If they called you in on a weekday and you only delivered Air packages you only get your Air pay rate.

If your a PT Sat Air Driver that works the preload / local sort and they ask to come in and drive on the weekdays your a PT Cover Driver and get what ever rate your progression says which must be Full rate at this point.

Remember that you are your not guaranteed any FT driving hours unless your Classification has PT cover Driver in it. So don't count on the money you currently make driving in a FT position to last forever because management could cut it off a any point when directed by higher up.

PT Car Washer

Yes they can cut our hours back and do on occasion. Would you rather have the driver sups delivering packages? There are several of us that either work Preload and drive or like myself I will drive in the morning and work Twi sort on car wash or come in and do pick ups in the afternoon. We don't have PT cover drivers. Worse part is vacation checks. Going from $1200 a week to a $600 vacation check.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yes they can cut our hours back and do on occasion. Would you rather have the driver sups delivering packages? There are several of us that either work Preload and drive or like myself I will drive in the morning and work Twi sort on car wash or come in and do pick ups in the afternoon. We don't have PT cover drivers. Worse part is vacation checks. Going from $1200 a week to a $600 vacation check.

That's the problem. Several PT people delivering ground and covering pickups translates into a FT position or two.

Anonymous 12

Non active member
I would hope every Local would make UPS pay us top rate for delivering ground. It is the contract.
I would never let it happen. We have full time air driver that run ground and get paid top package car driver rate and single day vacation coverage drivers. Par timers that aren't on the list don't touch ground.

HBGPreloader

When the company was running the PT pension and benefit programs, I felt they would be managed well enough to not have to worry (too much) about the money/benefits I earned not being there when I retire.

Now, based upon the track record of the union managing pension and benefit plans of the FT employees, I sincerely doubt there will be anything left years from now for me to count on if or when I finally retire.

So, IMHO, if you're happy with the work you are doing and making good money, stay where you are. But, put as much as you can comfortably afford towards your own retirement. This way you don't need to rely on either the union or the company when it comes time to retire.

PT Car Washer

I would never let it happen. We have full time air driver that run ground and get paid top package car driver rate and single day vacation coverage drivers. Par timers that aren't on the list don't touch ground.
We don't allow PT package car drivers. No FT air drivers. A few Art 22.3 combos. Delivering ground would be considered extra work and is awarded by seniority.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Feast or famine .
That is what an air driver's work schedule will always be .
I started out being an exceptional air driver in 86, until medical reasons pulled my DOT card in 2012 .Back in the first few years nobody else wanted the work , thus I got it all .
Some days only an hour or two , other days 12+ , and some days nothing .
In my area , all hours worked are counted towards my total yearly pension hours , one only needed 1800 hrs to receive a full years credit . As a p/t I was getting the same pension credit as any friend/T driver .
Another 2.5 yrs to go to hit my 35 yrs service pension .