Air driver getting bumped need info

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It's too bad there wasn't a process where people who felt they were wronged by management could grieve it.

Unless the guy is doing pickups in flip flops and jeans and driving a minivan I'm going to go ahead and guess the guys who are doing inside work are seeing him do this. If they want to grieve they have every right to. Apparently nobody has felt the need.
If only management has some level of integrity and guys like this didn't circumvent the contract for their own personal gain. I know shocking in this day and age.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
There is normally not enough time to go through the list if laid off drivers to see if any of them want to come in. They call him because they know he is home and willing to come in on short notice.
I disagree. It takes 5 minutes to go down a call list. But that is apparently too hard for these guys so they do what is easy. Not what is right

PT Car Washer

If I were one of the laid off drivers I would be filing each and every time PT went on road while I sat at home.
They are not sitting at home. They are using their contract rights to displace two PT employees in the Hub. And I will walk right by them carrying a DIAD in browns and say hi. A laid off driver has two choices either sit at home and hope for a phone call or work inside. You can't do both by the contract. IE sets the number of drivers a Center can use each day and the center manager can't just have a driver waiting around all day in case they need him.

PT Car Washer

I would assume management would follow the contract in the first place so there wouldn't be one....shocker I know.
This practice has been used for the last 10 years or more and has been discussed in many Union meetings. Nothing going on that the Union does not know about. As long as Air drivers are paid top driver rate the practice is legal.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
They are not sitting at home. They are using their contract rights to displace two PT employees in the Hub. And I will walk right by them carrying a DIAD in browns and say hi. A laid off driver has two choices either sit at home and hope for a phone call or work inside. You can't do both by the contract. IE sets the number of drivers a Center can use each day and the center manager can't just have a driver waiting around all day in case they need him.

No actually they should file on you when you walk by in your "Browns". It's against the contract to let you do ground work while they don't. And screw IE. They don't write our contract.

And yes your center manager does have a driver waiting around all day, it's you. You made an extra outside agreement with him to be "available ".

You're wrong. Spin it any way you want you're wrong. And you local is wrong for letting it slide.

PT Car Washer

You keep missing the point that there is not 8 hours of work. Maybe an hour or two. The drivers laid off are working inside and not sitting at home. They understand how the game is played. Would you sit at home waiting to be called in for an hour of work?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You keep missing the point that there is not 8 hours of work. Maybe an hour or two. The drivers laid off are working inside and not sitting at home. They understand how the game is played. Would you sit at home waiting to be called in for an hour of work?
There's 8 hrs. You just keep stealing it. Say whatever you want to justify it. It wouldn't fly in my area

By The Book

As soon as a full time driver punches in he's guaranteed his 8. So if your center uses one of the laid off guys at 9:00, they need to find the driver work for 8 hours. This laid off driver could do air, ground, pickups, letter boxes, whatever to get hours and then bump into a sort if that wasn't 8 hours of work.

PT Car Washer

As soon as a full time driver punches in he's guaranteed his 8. So if your center uses one of the laid off guys at 9:00, they need to find the driver work for 8 hours. This laid off driver could do air, ground, pickups, letter boxes, whatever to get hours and then bump into a sort if that wasn't 8 hours of work.
Not the way it works by contract. Driver is guaranteed 8 hours working in the package car classification. Not made up work. He also would have to have more company seniority then the PT employee he displaces. You guys sure have some funny notions about the contract.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Not the way it works by contract. Driver is guaranteed 8 hours working in the package car classification. Not made up work. He also would have to have more company seniority then the PT employee he displaces. You guys sure have some funny notions about the contract.

I don't think YOU have even read the contract. You're wrong.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

If this is true then NO FT employee who went FT after guys like you would work. It's not true. FT trumps PT. I've seen it done both in buildings and grievance hearings. And they just have to be "qualified " to work the PT classification like irreg train or sort. The FT is guaranteed 8 hrs period. That's why the laid off guys usually work preload and reload until driving work is available.

You don't work Pt air drivers pretending to be cover drivers before laid off FT drivers. You get away with it because you're probably in a small building and you make side deals with management. It sounds like your local also doesn't know what they're doing.

With hourlies like you, why have a contract if you'll just circumvent it? No wonder our contract is being eroded away.

PT Car Washer

Actually laid off drivers are only guaranteed 3 1/2 per sort. I do work in a small building with 2 centers and over 120 FT drivers. Also the largest hub in the state with a preload a day sort, a twilight sort and a midnight sort. I am just working as directed. I am sure if the Union or members didn't like this arrangement it would have been stopped years ago. We do appreciate your concern but this is the way it is. Just got a call from driver sup. Another driver needs help with pick ups again. Then head downtown to cover for a vacationing letter box pick up driver. Maybe get about 5 hours in. Not enough work for a FT driver.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Actually laid off drivers are only guaranteed 3 1/2 per sort. I do work in a small building with 2 centers and over 120 FT drivers. Also the largest hub in the state with a preload a day sort, a twilight sort and a midnight sort. I am just working as directed. I am sure if the Union or members didn't like this arrangement it would have been stopped years ago. We do appreciate your concern but this is the way it is. Just got a call from driver sup. Another driver needs help with pick ups again. Then head downtown to cover for a vacationing letter box pick up driver. Maybe get about 5 hours in. Not enough work for a FT driver.
You really are stupid

Show me in the contract where it says FT are only guarantee 3 1/2 hrs per sort????

Seriously

Retire. You're delusional

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles

How does it feel to the on road's little bitch?

PT Car Washer

You really are stupid

Show me in the contract where it says FT are only guarantee 3 1/2 hrs per sort????

Seriously

Retire. You're delusional
It is the Central Region Supplement. Most times they will get more hours but by contract 3 1/2 is all they are guaranteed. Not allowed to bump a PTer with more seniority. I will just excuse your ignorance of the contract as maybe your supplement is different. Of course Art 40 in the master the preamble states "the following Section shall supersede language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda's,". If you have a current contract book you can look it up. The reason the contract is being eroded away is because a lot of FT drivers making $33+/hr don't want to risk derailing that money train for a bunch of new employees. FT or PT. Get rid of Art 40 and Art 22.3 in the Master.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It is the Central Region Supplement. Most times they will get more hours but by contract 3 1/2 is all they are guaranteed. Not allowed to bump a PTer with more seniority. I will just excuse your ignorance of the contract as maybe your supplement is different. Of course Art 40 in the master the preamble states "the following Section shall supersede language on the same subjects in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda's,". If you have a current contract book you can look it up. The reason the contract is being eroded away is because a lot of FT drivers making $33+/hr don't want to risk derailing that money train for a bunch of new employees. FT or PT. Get rid of Art 40 and Art 22.3 in the Master.

Yeah that why. Yep you're right. Has nothing to do with scab employees like you. Nope you're right. It's us FT drivers who make too much. Not some 60 yr old PT air driver who steals others work for his own benefit. Yep you got me.

Maybe the union just need to get rid of people like you and our contract will get stronger again.

Seriously.

PT Car Washer

Yeah that why. Yep you're right. Has nothing to do with scab employees like you. Nope you're right. It's us FT drivers who make too much. Not some 60 yr old PT air driver who steals others work for his own benefit. Yep you got me.

Maybe the union just need to get rid of people like you and our contract will get stronger again.

Seriously.
Don't you ever work? You have to remember I have paid more in Union dues then 10 rookie drivers combined. I walked the picket line during the strike while FT drivers crossed because they didn't know how they would be able to make their Corvette payment. I appreciate your passion but I believe it would be better served by all if you would be more involved with your Union Local to raise the working conditions for all Union members both FT and PT. In my building and Union Local your opinion on how we do things is just an outsider's opinion. I am sure you would not appreciate an outsider telling your Union Local how to run your building.