Air Drivers and 22.3s Being Laid Off In Large Center.

TommyBrown

Any other large centers experiencing air driver layoffs? How does your center handle EAM deliveries?

Here in West Michigan our Air Driver group showed up to work one day last week (Ive been delivering EAMs daily 6 years) and there were FT drivers to replace us.

Now FT loop partners have to shuttle out LIBS to FT drivers that left early to deliver EAMs, and other snowball issues. Incentive to high seniority FT to deliver EAMs is to be done by 3 (yeah ok)and bonus. Now high seniority are filing on each other over the work.

I understand that EAMs are technically extra work but we have an issue with retaliation in our bldg and these numbers on FT servicing EAMs don't work.

BA basically tells us we're SOL and that layoffs are coming for everyone in 2023.

How are EAMs currently being serviced in your bldg and where are you located?

Any other large centers experiencing air driver layoffs? How does your center handle EAM deliveries?

Here in West Michigan our Air Driver group showed up to work one day last week (Ive been delivering EAMs daily 6 years) and there were FT drivers to replace us.

Now FT loop partners have to shuttle out LIBS to FT drivers that left early to deliver EAMs, and other snowball issues. Incentive to high seniority FT to deliver EAMs is to be done by 3 (yeah ok)and bonus. Now high seniority are filing on each other over the work.

I understand that EAMs are technically extra work but we have an issue with retaliation in our bldg and these numbers on FT servicing EAMs don't work.

BA basically tells us we're SOL and that layoffs are coming for everyone in 2023.

The early a.m.s should be your work first then any extra early a.m.s goes by seniority to the RPCD full-time drivers

Overpaid Union Thug

Air driver work vs “extra work” has always been wishy washy here. We have air drivers running NDAs and EAMs. We also have RPCDs running EAMs. The latter tends to happen only when convenient to the RPCDs. Some want air but expect an equal amount of ground to be cut. That often causes problems.

TommyBrown

Hard to accept that FT are willing to displace other Teamsters at the end of their careers. Especially when we pay top rates dues with a 15hr garuntee paycheck. Funding FT pensions/healthcare. $15/hr pay cut to bump inside bldg is rough. We should've been fightung for our own contract language instead of sweating 22.4 class coming on. Live, learn, roll with the punches.

Overpaid Union Thug

Hard to accept that FT are willing to displace other Teamsters at the end of their careers. Especially when we pay top rates dues with a 15hr garuntee paycheck. Funding FT pensions/healthcare. $15/hr pay cut to bump inside bldg is rough. We should've been fightung for our own contract language instead of sweating 22.4 class coming on. Live, learn, roll with the punches.

Seniorty is a great thing. But can be equally frustrating at times. A “brother” often screws over another. Such as their “extra” work resulting in the layoff of others. Or when someone uses “extra work” as alternate work to do less (or any) of their normal job while plenty of people below them on the list actually wanted the extra work for more OT. That type of nonsense isn’t good and I have personally seen it discourage people from having any more interest in the union. And I’ve also seen that stop potential members from joining. It doesn’t have to be this way though. But after seeing it continued to happen for so many years I don’t expect it to ever change.

542thruNthru

My understanding is that exception air work is done by company seniority not FT or PT. So if they have enough company seniority to bump you than they are at the end of their careers as well.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Seniorty is a great thing. But can be equally frustrating at times. A “brother” often screws over another. Such as their “extra” work resulting in the layoff of others. Or when someone uses “extra work” as alternate work to do less (or any) of their normal job while plenty of people below them on the list actually wanted the extra work for more OT. That type of nonsense isn’t good and I have personally seen it discourage people from having any more interest in the union. And I’ve also seen that stop potential members from joining. It doesn’t have to be this way though. But after seeing it continued to happen for so many years I don’t expect it to ever change.
We have a couple OGs that sit in the office all morning waiting for shenanigans like this to go down so they can wield their seniority and stop it.
My understanding is that exception air work is done by company seniority not FT or PT. So if they have enough company seniority to bump you than they are at the end of their careers as well.
This is accurate in my area. Since COVID peak hit, we have a couple of the oldest guys coming in at 5am to run EAMs and get lighter dispatch. If you know you’re gonna work a 13, might as well start as early as possible

Never heard that one. Our EAMs are a PT bid job with 22.3 air drivers filling in occasionally. Then 10:30 air by seniority. Sometimes they pick up some ground work also. Would like to hear more about this company seniority for air work.

542thruNthru

Never heard that one. Our EAMs are a PT bid job with 22.3 air drivers filling in occasionally. Then 10:30 air by seniority. Sometimes they pick up some ground work also. Would like to hear more about this company seniority for air work.
Exception air drivers are not part-time air bid drivers. So it would be different. Here we have no PT air bids just 22.3 or FT air drivers.

opie

22.3s are guaranteed 8 hours.

So what are they having you do then for work? Where I am at, 22.3 jobs are highly protected. They must provide guaranteed 8 hours. May bump a PTer if necessary. PT air drivers on the other hand, are expendable. We've had PT air driver routes dissolved with no recourse. They go back in the building and lose their air rate pay. A 22.3 can not have their pay cut. They actually would make more if they worked inside only.

TommyBrown

I don't see it changing either. Its tough to watch. The fight isn't between brothers.

Whenever I ask questions about UPS or Teamsters that I can't get clear answers to, I jump down a rabbit hole to follow the money. Over the last 2 years I've come to realize the entity that UPS is, and after Teamsters "won" the Butch Lewis Act, where UPS and Teamsters are headed. Not many of us will be working for UPS in a net zero world ran by Vanguard and Blackrock. Makes me think of a famous quote from Martin Niemoller. History repeating itself. Then I jump out of that hole and live my life. Let's Go Brandon.
Exception air drivers are not part-time air bid drivers. So it would be different. Here we have no PT air bids just 22.3

22.3s are guaranteed 8 hours.

So what are they having you do then for work? Where I am at, 22.3 jobs are highly protected. They must provide guaranteed 8 hours. May bump a PTer if necessary. PT air drivers on the other hand, are expendable. We've had PT air driver routes dissolved with no recourse.
Low 6 working preload hours or took layoff. Top 5 getting 1-2 EAM stops. 7 FT drivers today. 22.3s and Air Drivers not being used for NDA (which is typical for Air Drivers this time of year). 22.3s getting their hours inside bldg too.
Today I had 1 EAM. Rtb within 30 mins. Did random work until I made my 3 hours.

Overpaid Union Thug

We have a couple OGs that sit in the office all morning waiting for shenanigans like this to go down so they can wield their seniority and stop it.

That’s awesome. I wish they didn’t have to do that though. It would be better if there was language protecting extra work from vultures who are really just trying to reduce their work. That way the people that ACTUALLY want extra work can benefit.
This is accurate in my area. Since COVID peak hit, we have a couple of the oldest guys coming in at 5am to run EAMs and get lighter dispatch. If you know you’re gonna work a 13, might as well start as early as possible
Another example of using “extra work” to get less work. And more often than not the ground stops that are cut from those guys goes to someone that didn’t even signup for extra work. LOL.

542thruNthru

That’s awesome. I wish they didn’t have to do that though. It would be better if there was language protecting extra work from vultures who are really just trying to reduce their work. That way the people that ACTUALLY want extra work can benefit.
I don't see it that way. How are they not using it for extra work? They start earlier and still work the same hours. You see it as easier work but that's not their problem. Their seniority gives them the right to it. They don't get off at 9.5 hours just because they started early but they don't get forced to work late hours to get their 12.

Overpaid Union Thug

Tell them to get on 9.5
Some are. But either way that doesn’t solve the real problem. And most people don’t bother filing an over 9.5 grievance for that one day because they don’t believe there’s any incentive for management to stop since there’s no real penalty for being violated less than two days per week. I’d file though.

I don't see it that way. How are they not using it for extra work? They start earlier and still work the same hours. You see it as easier work but that's not their problem. Their seniority gives them the right to it. They don't get off at 9.5 hours just because they started early but they don't get forced to work late hours to get their 12.
That's a two-way argument right there

Overpaid Union Thug

If a driver accepts EAM work to start early and get their normal workload reduced, and there’s no net gain, they are screwing others out of that extra work. They just used the extra work to get the same hours (or less) and get off earlier. If that same driver accepts extra work in addition to their normal work then that makes sense. Then it really is extra work.

If a driver accepts extra work on preload then goes home as an extra driver then they’ve screwed someone else as well.

Seniority gives them the right to do all these things. Doesn’t mean it’s moral. They are clever tactics that are possible because of what’s essentially a loophole. There should be language that protects extra work from being used in that manner. That would close the loophole.