Air quality?

UPSn00b

boxchucker
Has there ever been a study of what exactly ends up in your nose and lungs during the sort (preload for me). I mean GAH! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS STUFF!?! It looks like I work in a coal mine when I blow my nose after the sort. I wonder if this meets EPA and OSHA air quality compliance? It sure is nasty. What say you?

sendagain

I remember hacking up dust when I was working as an unloader doing forty foot trailers. I also would see cardboard dust in the air in my truck when the sun came in at a certain angle. Then I noticed all the stuff that leaked out of packages and ended up on the shelves, working it's way onto my hands and clothing. You can look into the crevices on the shelves and sections of the floor and find stuff that's been in their for years. I always thought we could have done a much better job keeping the inside of these vehicles clean, not only for our own health but for the ability to hand a women in a nice dress a package that will not wreck her clothes.

UPSn00b

boxchucker
No doubt! I wouldn't imagine it would take much to clean em out, send in one of the guys who cleans the building after the sort, with a leaf blower and a respirator and blow the suckers out! Also, a forced air vent pulling air from the unloading dock up and out wouldn't be a bad idea either. It would help keep the rest of the building from breathing the crap in as well..cause black boogers suck.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ever heard of brown lung?

The EPA keeps us from blowing out the trucks, pollutes the air. Cant wash it out either, pollutes the water supply.

So we are limited to sweeping them out.

They bought three very large Vacuums for our center back 15 years ago when they rebuilt the building. They were stolen before they were installed.

Slothrop

dannyboy said:
Ever heard of brown lung?

The EPA keeps us from blowing out the trucks, pollutes the air. Cant wash it out either, pollutes the water supply.

So we are limited to sweeping them out.

They bought three very large Vacuums for our center back 15 years ago when they rebuilt the building. They were stolen before they were installed.

Where do you get this mis-information from? I worked over 25 years on a rural route in a large center. Our trucks were washed out whenever we requested it. The car wash had ramps that they pulled the trucks onto so that the water could flow out.

Brown lung is mainly caused by inhaling raw (unprocessed) cotton, flax or hemp dust. I think perhaps you've had too much of the hemp.

rushfan

Oh those were the days in the unload. When I went home after working, I would blow my nose. Yep, there were "UPS boogers"

retired2000

sure am glad your cars wee washed out. i know mine never was. i use to carry a broom with me and i would sweep it out while i was on o/t. never did like getting that blast of dust in the face when yu would place a parcel on the floor.

Ms Spoken

speaking of all the dirt in the trucks.... Tooner how is your garden coming along? Remember you said you were going to plant some seeds just to see if they were going to live...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes I need to do that msspoken since all danger of frost is past. What shall I plant? any ideas?????
For the dream driver............. our trucks are cleaned regularly..Mine hasnt been cleaned in I dont know how long. But the soot from the fire in 2004 is still there. So its been a long while.
I think Ill do morning glorys in the front under my seat. Maybe some tomaters in the back>

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They never clean out the inside of our Package Cars either. The only time I have seen a clean one was if it was brand new or about once in four or five years when it went to the body shop for a "five hundred dollar" paint job. I used to drive a P500 on a rural route that had about fifty miles of dirt roads on it. I had to be careful when I came up to a stop sign, or I would be covered in a cloud of dust if I didn't slow down just right. Not good when you wear contact lens. That truck always had a layer of dust on all the shelves.:rolleyes:

Ms Spoken

Tonner,

I think I will plant something myself... Because when it rains my plants will get all the water they need and I have lots of dirt so lets say "GAME ON" Just name your plant and we will share photo's. HAHAHA

F

fredly111

tooner, I hear ya,
I just got done running rural 250 miles a day on dirt, when I was done
I went to the local car wash, and got right inside with the power washer...
and blasted that thing clean. (yes UPS paid for the car wash not me)

While on an in town route... just tell the PM sup that something spilled
in the vehicle, and it needs to be washed..(do it on a friday) otherwise
the truck will be wet in the morning still.

traveler

Where next? Venice
toonertoo said:
Yes I need to do that msspoken since all danger of frost is past. What shall I plant? any ideas?????
For the dream driver............. our trucks are cleaned regularly..Mine hasnt been cleaned in I dont know how long. But the soot from the fire in 2004 is still there. So its been a long while.
I think Ill do morning glorys in the front under my seat. Maybe some tomaters in the back>

I think you should avoid growing anything that can be smoked! :sailor: :nono::thumbup1:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The visual db....Ok im not planting those....And tieguy, I wont plant those, I probaly wont plant anything as I used them all up, in my yard, but the point is.............. stuff would grow.
Id do it myself if they would give me the time. I dont wear contacts, but Thank God for glasses, or Id have crap in my eyes all the time. It isnt right.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
All joking aside, I used to stop by the car wash on light pickup days, put all the packages on the top shelves and wash that baby out from front to back. The cab got it several extra times during the year as well.

And no, did not do it on my lunch or break. After they griped and complained a while, they started getting the car wash to do each car at least once a month, and the ones on the really dirty routes twice or more.

Your center manager would be the one to set the tone for the car wash. Bring it up as a safety issue to the safety cochair, even attend a meeting to present your problem.

If you dont take a position on this issue, it will never fix itself.

d

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We do have two DIAD slots on the dash of our Package Cars. Right now I use my extra one to store snacks in. Maybe I could block off the bottom and fill it with some top soil and plant something!:lol:

wily_old_vet

I used to take my truck thru the wash everyday and sweep it out at least once a week (more if peanuts got spilled ). I put the time in as carwash time. When they would get on my case about it I would tell them "this is my office for at least 8 hours a day. Your offices get cleaned every day don't they?" Shut them up every time.