Air vs. Ground Seniority

AlwaysChafed

Can a ground driver bump an air driver who has seniority? For instance, we have a shuttle route and I was the only one to get part time seniority. None of the other previous drivers did, however they are full time ground now, but started in my position. I'm guessing they can bump me?

Sounds like a dumb Q but so many weird things go on here.

UPSGUY72

Can a ground driver bump an air driver who has seniority? For instance, we have a shuttle route and I was the only one to get part time seniority. None of the other previous drivers did, however they are full time ground now, but started in my position. I'm guessing they can bump me?

Sounds like a dumb Q but so many weird things go on here.

Is the route your on a bid route ??? If so did you bid the route ???? If it's not a bid route and is filled by PTimers all the time than Ft drivers can't bump and have no rights to that route. In my building we have a couple PT airs routes M-friend or T-S that are filled by PTimers and FT drivers have no rights to those routes.

IF the route your on is a FT route that goes out to bid and FT can bid on it than that a different situation... YOu would need to talk to your Stewards they would now how things operate in your building as rules differ by area...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They do try this in my center...stating area knowledge...and hoping young FTer doesnt know his rights or cares or wants to start waves....

I am glad you mentioned area knowledge.

We have a new center manager who seems to have a different set of operating rules than our previous center manager's. His newest one is that we can all be directed to cover a route other than our bid route based on staffing needs and area knowledge; in fact, during the PCM last week, he mentioned my name, saying that I could be "asked" to go to Lake Placid, if needed. Keep in mind that I have not delivered a full route there in more than 10 years. We had two FT bid route drivers directed to cover routes other than their own this past week. They were not happy campers.

Future

Victory Ride

We have a new center manager who seems to have a different set of operating rules than our previous center manager's. His newest one is that we can all be directed to cover a route other than our bid route based on staffing needs and area knowledge; in fact, during the PCM last week, he mentioned my name, saying that I could be "asked" to go to Lake Placid, if needed. Keep in mind that I have not delivered a full route there in more than 10 years. We had two FT bid route drivers directed to cover routes other than their own this past week. They were not happy campers.
Yes,they have tried this with me (alot) because I over the years had learned alot of routes. I was told by union Pres, I must work as directed ....then file a grievance ...It really doesnt do much when you file .....There is no monetary value.....Havent been told to do this in a long time, but it used to bug the :censored2:ola out of me when i was unprepared for it.....I mean within 20 mins of my start time I had to change mindset of what i was doing to me this becomes a safety issue ...

oldngray

nowhere special

I had a center manager who would do that. Send a few drivers all over the place to cover work because they supposedly knew those areas (or because they would get it done) instead of using the drivers on routes nearby. It did get annoying when there were drivers who never got sent out of their way and others who were automatically the ones he first thought of to send to help.