Alison vs Mitch

Jim Rockford

I believe smurf's argument is that RTW would force unions to actually sell the workforce on their effectiveness...meaning that they couldnt just enforce a contract on a local...or else they'd lose members...and hence lose money. It's an argument put up by guys like Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell and that whole "Chicago school "of economic thought. the irony is that back in friedman's day...unions actually had balls...and concessionary contracts when companies are raking in billions woulda never seen the light of day. Now...due in a large part to Globalism...unions are becoming more like Pro wrestling referees in their effectiveness.

Atomic_Smurf

I believe smurf's argument is that RTW would force unions to actually sell the workforce on their effectiveness...meaning that they couldnt just enforce a contract on a local...or else they'd lose members...and hence lose money. It's an argument put up by guys like Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell and that whole "Chicago school "of economic thought. the irony is that back in friedman's day...unions actually had balls...and concessionary contracts when companies are raking in billions woulda never seen the light of day. Now...due in a large part to Globalism...unions are becoming more like Pro wrestling referees in their effectiveness.
Right on.

Ron Carey lives on

So if you have the leaders you want in your union, you are not for RTW? What about trade unions that rtw affects directly? Prevailing wage? You guys are completely off subject. I think its more about you saving 84 dollars a month and receiving the same benefits

Sent using BrownCafe App

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So if you have the leaders you want in your union, you are not for RTW? What about trade unions that rtw affects directly? Prevailing wage? You guys are completely off subject. I think its more about you saving 84 dollars a month and receiving the same benefits

Sent using BrownCafe App
Truth right there. Otherwise they'd be working at Walmart or McDonalds where their wages would be dictated by that "free market" they claim to love so much...

Atomic_Smurf

Sent using BrownCafe App
That would be an incorrect assumption. RTW would remain quietly, like a pistol in the nightstand, in case it's even needed. RTW has nothing to do with prevailing wage & how does it affect trade unions? That $84 dollars is well spent when you have leadership that represents your interests.

Atomic_Smurf

Truth right there. Otherwise they'd be working at Walmart or McDonalds where their wages would be dictated by that "free market" they claim to love so much...
Our free market system is as important to our ability to earn a decent wage as any union representation.

Walmart is one of Yellow Freights(Teamsters) biggest customers if not the biggest & we have 2 part timers in our hub that work at Walmart & earn more on the hour there then they do at their union represented jobs at UPS. Not all Teamsters are drivers making $70k+ you know.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Our free market system is as important to our ability to earn a decent wage as any union representation.

Walmart is one of Yellow Freights(Teamsters) biggest customers if not the biggest & we have 2 part timers in our hub that work at Walmart & earn more on the hour there then they do at their union represented jobs at UPS. Not all Teamsters are drivers making $70k+ you know.
The only drivers not making $70k or more per year now are cover drivers, drivers in progression, drivers taking a lot of unpaid days off, drivers that get injured on or off the job or drivers that work 8 hour or less a day.
It's really difficult for a top wage driver who's healthy to not make more than $70k.

As for part timers, I always had a 2nd job other than UPS, because the pay plus about 4 hours a day didn't cut it. Some of those 2nd jobs were at non-union companies. Not that I wanted to work at a non-union shop. But with a wife and baby at home, I did what I had to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Atomic_Smurf

The only drivers not making $70k or more per year now are cover drivers, drivers in progression, drivers taking a lot of unpaid days off, drivers that get injured on or off the job or drivers that work 8 hour or less a day.
It's really difficult for a top wage driver who's healthy to not make more than $70k.

As for part timers, I always had a 2nd job other than UPS, because the pay plus about 4 hours a day didn't cut it. Some of those 2nd jobs were at non-union companies. Not that I wanted to work at a non-union shop. But with a wife and baby at home, I did what I had to do.
That's why I said "$70k+". Very few drivers in our center pass up the rotating unpaid days. $70k is a much more common annual wage around here then say $90 or $100k.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That would be an incorrect assumption. RTW would remain quietly, like a pistol in the nightstand, in case it's even needed. RTW has nothing to do with prevailing wage & how does it affect trade unions? That $84 dollars is well spent when you have leadership that represents your interests.
It's only by coincidence that people in the traditional southern RTW states make considerably less then those up north even if they work for the same company. Your goal must be to have everyone toothless and living in a single wide.

Atomic_Smurf

It's only by coincidence that people in the traditional southern RTW states make considerably less then those up north even if they work for the same company. Your goal must be to have everyone toothless and living in a single wide.
Southern states were historically poorer. Its where a hundred years of democrat policies like slavery, segregation & missing out on much of the industrial revolution will leave you. So no, its no coincidence that traditional southern states are having to play catch up. Their recent transition to conservative ideas & laws like RTW are making that task much easier.

Atomic_Smurf

It was nice to see the White house talking about creating jobs today. You guys see this. Yes they were talking about jobs.....for Isis...said we can't just kill them....they just need jobs. These are your people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's why I said "$70k+". Very few drivers in our center pass up the rotating unpaid days. $70k is a much more common annual wage around here then say $90 or $100k.

I made $74K last year and work less than 2 hours OT each week.

$80K is about the average in my center for package----closer to $90-100K for feeders.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
They've always made less than the industrial north. RTW has raised their wages faster than non-RTW states by bringing more jobs in.

Atomic_Smurf

Isis burns 45 people alive today & the world's smartest Democrat blames it on a lack of job opportunities. Why not add lack of access to community college & student loan debt?