All Air Drivers To Be Eliminated?

shalang

I would think finding enough work to support more then a few T-S jobs would be the biggest problem. If a large Hub like yours only use a few drivers FT on Saturday what would the smaller hubs and centers do?
We do have days when we have a lot (and I mean A LOT) of packages left behind, especially if there is late air. I suppose they will have them do these packages on Saturday.

In addition, I heard that FedEx does ground on Saturday. With them and USPS delivering Saturday (even Sunday for USPS), UPS needs to remain competitive. I guess we can expect an even higher workflow once it goes public.

Drink Craft Beer

I'm in a small hub. The current air driver for the last year-and-a-half has been a full time pre-loader due to a retirement. They've been fighting whether this is still a full time or part time job. There are drivers who want this job and will bump the person currently running it. It's in the hands of those in Atlanta right now and who knows when it will get settled.

The only part I don't like is that they have the air driver do pre-load work after he brings the air. If he's considered a full time Air Driver, then he shouldn't be doing pre-load work. In this case, he's still considered a pre-loader cause that's his title...... he's just filling in for the retired air driver for now.

PT Car Washer

We do have days when we have a lot (and I mean A LOT) of packages left behind, especially if there is late air. I suppose they will have them do these packages on Saturday.

In addition, I heard that FedEx does ground on Saturday. With them and USPS delivering Saturday (even Sunday for USPS), UPS needs to remain competitive. I guess we can expect an even higher workflow once it goes public.
What do you mean you leave a lot of packages behind? You just don't attempt to make service on them? Right now Art 40 governs Saturday Air work. Doing ground would fall under the general contract and supplements.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
What do you mean you leave a lot of packages behind? You just don't attempt to make service on them? Right now Art 40 governs Saturday Air work. Doing ground would fall under the general contract and supplements.
He means they leave the building and the packages are sheeted by management as left in building.

shalang

I'm in a small hub. The current air driver for the last year-and-a-half has been a full time pre-loader due to a retirement. They've been fighting whether this is still a full time or part time job. There are drivers who want this job and will bump the person currently running it. It's in the hands of those in Atlanta right now and who knows when it will get settled.

The only part I don't like is that they have the air driver do pre-load work after he brings the air. If he's considered a full time Air Driver, then he shouldn't be doing pre-load work. In this case, he's still considered a pre-loader cause that's his title...... he's just filling in for the retired air driver for now.

We do sometimes unload the air but it just involves throwing it on the bottom belt. We dont sort it or anything.

Ive also never heard of a FT Air Driver. Dont think we have one of those in our building.

The drivers leave because either their cars are too full or we get late air that doesnt come in till hours later.

shalang

How can management get away with that many premium service failures every Saturday?
That is during the weekdays that we leave packages behind.

As far as whether there is NDA Im not sure, but it is a mix of air and ground. Tons of EAMs not being delivered on time as well.

I had to do one EAM because it was processed late. Didnt get to the customer until 12PM!

PT Car Washer

We do sometimes unload the air but it just involves throwing it on the bottom belt. We dont sort it or anything.

Ive also never heard of a FT Air Driver. Dont think we have one of those in our building.

The drivers leave because either their cars are too full or we get late air that doesnt come in till hours later.
I have one of the more stop density areas and I go out with less than 30 stops. Most are envelopes or small boxes going to residential areas. Usually I will have 4 or 5 known closures (Gov. buildings or large Insurance Co.) I just sheet up. Takes up about a half shelf of a P 5.

shalang

I have one of the more stop density areas and I go out with less than 30 stops. Most are envelopes or small boxes going to residential areas. Usually I will have 4 or 5 known closures (Gov. buildings or large Insurance Co.) I just sheet up. Takes up about a half shelf of a P 5.

Most of us average 22-25 stops on Saturdays. The true pros go out with over 30. The losers go out with 3 or nothing at all. Dont know why management keeps them around. Those people just leech off the company and make us all look bad. Theres one chick who doesnt even know how to clock in and shes been on the roster for over 6 months!

PT Car Washer

That's what we do here but have 15 or so in the am and 2 pm ppl.
The new Center manager wants to have one person just cover pick ups in the PM but so far we are so short he can not staff AM delivery's with out using FT drivers. He also implemented ORION on Saturday so now we leave that much later.

Inthegame

I said, when did I (I meaning me) complain?
And when did I state that YOU complained? You may be a little too sensitive friend.
I was referring to your comment that drivers complain about not getting 9.5 relief. If the negotiated language is utilized and still no satisfaction occurs, then complaining is in order. But my experience is the ones doing the most bitching never use the language to file and then of course blame the union for not protecting them.
Thank your friend for his service, but it's a bit hard to believe the PO of L396 would not assist a veteran. Did your friend gain seniority before he was deployed? Somethings not adding up.

McGee

The new Center manager wants to have one person just cover pick ups in the PM but so far we are so short he can not staff AM delivery's with out using FT drivers. He also implemented ORION on Saturday so now we leave that much later.
Wow, that wouldn't work here we are very spread out and still need to make the air shuttle, one person would not cut it.
So far so good on AM staffIng here.