All the respect in the world for UPS workers but…

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDB

As an owner of two very small businesses, whoever is deciding they way they charge us is really missing the boat. The extra charges are getting so ridiculous I feel violated and will probably go back to USPS.

My nearest drop off point is about 80 miles round trip. Not exactly cost effective when time is money. What's my alternative? Pick up by a driver. Or time a shipment of supplies the same day as pickup, but unfortunately my customers aren't going to wait until it's convenient for me.

Soooo… I have an account with UPS which is supposed to be better than Joe Blow off the street right? Wrong.

Today I got on line to my account and for a 3.5 pound box that is 14 X 9 X 6 the shipping charge to a city in my own state (near Indianapolis) is $15.08. Not too bad until the extra charges are tacked on.

$5.65 to schedule a pick up
$3.25 residential surcharge (never mind I'm a full-time business 30 plus years)
$4.00 Remote Pick up (Not my fault you moved drop off from 10 miles away to 40)
$.55 Fuel Surcharge (Hey I thought fuel went down?)

So now the total to ship a small box only 2 hours away is $28.53. The extra charges added $13.45 or 86 percent to my total charge! The item I shipped is only valued at $80.00.

Oh and btw FedEx isn't any better. So USPS is looking better all the time.

No wonder my suppliers are giving me USPS as an option.

Disgruntled in Indiana.

CDB

The Driver

I drive.
I don't have any facts to add to this but I speculate that UPS and FedEx are betting USPS will get extra volume and lose some customers, but that the extra revenue will outweigh the loss in business. In other words, they don't care. UPS is just like any other business, they're looking to maximize their profits, even short term profits mean more than long term customers.

So you're getting charged the residential surcharge for deliveries made to you? I would call the hotline and ask about that. Or email a concern.

As an owner of two very small businesses, whoever is deciding they way they charge us is really missing the boat. The extra charges are getting so ridiculous I feel violated and will probably go back to USPS.

My nearest drop off point is about 80 miles round trip. Not exactly cost effective when time is money. What's my alternative? Pick up by a driver. Or time a shipment of supplies the same day as pickup, but unfortunately my customers aren't going to wait until it's convenient for me.

Soooo… I have an account with UPS which is supposed to be better than Joe Blow off the street right? Wrong.

Today I got on line to my account and for a 3.5 pound box that is 14 X 9 X 6 the shipping charge to a city in my own state (near Indianapolis) is $15.08. Not too bad until the extra charges are tacked on.

So now the total to ship a small box only 2 hours away is $28.53. The extra charges added $13.45 or 86 percent to my total charge! The item I shipped is only valued at $80.00.

Disgruntled in Indiana.

CDB
Just like you we are here to make a profit.
You are probably doing us a favor by using the post office.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Disgruntled in Indiana.

CDB

How much do you think it should cost?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Nah he's broke
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1461635350.046359.jpg

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'll let you in on a secret. The smaller and lighter your shipments, the more you're going to get raped with UPS. It's more cost effective with larger or heavier things.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm guessing the OP thinks that this is some kind of official UPS site.

Nope. And even if we cared, there's not a damned thing we could do for him.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Disgruntled in Indiana.

CDB

What do you sell ?

Do you have a website ?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.